Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

dell xps 400 comp.

I just ordered a Dell XPS 400. I was wondering if anyone has one,or what you heard about them?

RC Champion
    I know they are good computers becouse we have one of those at robotics. Thats my fav computer there.
    No one ever really dies.

RC Qualifier
    On Mine right now. Got it for christmas. Lol I had to help my parents pay for it. Much worth it though.
    Build Union, Buy American!

RC Champion
    Thats right. I Actually picked it out. It helps to be the captain of the team.
    No one ever really dies.

RC Champion
    my family has an XPS 600. They are very nice computers, you won't be dissappointed.

Sadly, I'm stuck on a hand-me-down Dell Dimension thats 7 years old with a 600 mHz proccessor, pretty slow compared to the 3gHz of the new computer.
    Last edited by rustlerbum; 08-13-2006 at 08:39 PM.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness." - Dave Barry

RC Qualifier
    its a bit overkill unless you are a hardcore gamer.
    Where's the 1/8 Revo?

RC Qualifier
    What are the specific specs and how much did it cost? I'm curious to see how it would compare to my custom built.

RC Racer
    pentium d processor w/ dual core technology 3 ghz
    1 gb memory dual channel/sdram
    dual cd drives (1 cdrw)
    19" flat panel monitor ,optical mouse,standard speakers.
    $1,070 w/ tax. free shipping. no interest for 18 months.
    Im really not to heavy into computers,but it should be fine for me.

RC Champion
    I have a 3.40 gh and 512mb ram Its really fast with that little bit of ram. So im good until i go to college.

NJ racer that sould be fine and fast enough for you.
    No one ever really dies.

RC Qualifier
    Yea it's a decent computer from Dell. Since you already got it, I won't tell you how much you could have saved if you put it together yourself. Plus all the hassles/no support you get.

RC Champion
    Yeah Im building one for myself soon.
    No one ever really dies.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    What kind of video card did you get? Dell is going to charge 2x what it costs to build your own computer that is faster and customized more to your likes, but for people that don't know what they're doing Dell is a good choice.

RC Champion
    Living and working in Edison, NJ. Home in Knox, PA
    I got one for my parents a few months ago and they love it. Loaded it up pretty good (2gigs of RAM among other things), so it should last them quite a few years. I get an affiliate discount through work, so that helped, plus I had a coupon from buying a computer from them last summer, so it was a great deal. You wont be dissapointed with the XPS 400. Its a great machine.
    http://community.webshots.com/profile.php?do=editpassword/trx_mirage
    "Here We Go STEELERS, Here We Go!"

Looks like Dell is recaling all Laptops with XPS processors. They catch on fire.

I worked in a Corporate Data Center supporting just under 3000 remote locations, all Dell. Thier computers hold up OK. They are just a little on the expensive side for me. Especially when I can build one to the same specs for 2/3rd the price.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught
    Looks like Dell is recaling all Laptops with XPS processors. They catch on fire.

I worked in a Corporate Data Center supporting just under 3000 remote locations, all Dell. Thier computers hold up OK. They are just a little on the expensive side for me. Especially when I can build one to the same specs for 2/3rd the price.

I need to learn what I need to build my own computer next time. I know the major things, but Im not 100% sure what is compatible, and all the little pieces confuse me as well (what cables I need, etc..), thats where I get lost.....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage
    I need to learn what I need to build my own computer next time. I know the major things, but Im not 100% sure what is compatible, and all the little pieces confuse me as well (what cables I need, etc..), thats where I get lost.....
    There are lots of online computer communities that offer practically a step-by-step guidance to building a computer. Even larger communities that are not computer orientated may have a section of nerds.

RC Qualifier

https://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/Default.aspx

is that what your talking about? there recalling batteries. Not the processors. If that's not it, could you throw me a link?
    Build Union, Buy American!

RC Champion
    Ya need to buy an apple. Yea their expensive, but their good.
    RC enthusiast!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rustlerbasher
    Only the software is different all else is the same. (Apple now uses intel processors)
    Where's the 1/8 Revo?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustlerbasher
    Forget that idea, yes they're expensive but they really aren't that good. Overhyped and overpriced, I think that's their motto.

RC Champion
    They can't get viruses, their faster than pc, they make the fastest personal computer you can buy, better video game graphics, easier use for personal and large buisnesses. Their whole system is better than windows in most cases, and now large buisnesses can use their old windows programs on a newer faster mac. The only downfall is there arn't alot of videogames out their for them.
    RC enthusiast!

RC Champion
    And no, some of their latest models are as inexpensive as windows. If your happy with your pc, then I'm glad for you. I'm just saying that if I were in your shoes I would get a mac. Everybody is different.
    RC enthusiast!

RC Champion
    [QUOTE=rustlerbasher]...better video game graphics, easier use for personal and large buisnesses.[QUOTE]

Apple computers actually no longer have better graphics than windows based PC's.... they are pretty much equal....

As for viruses, they are no longer invaunerable.... due to a rise in popularity, hackers have begun creating viruses the last year or so for MAC's. Don't believe me, google it.

Lets get this back on topic now....

When your new system comes in, let us all know how you like it, you will be pleased with that monitor as well, its awesome .

RC Qualifier
    just get a graphics card, 256mb should be good. and for people who like macs because they have no viruses, just get any firewall aand virus scan and ur good to go.

and njracer, dont worry with dual core ur computers gona be as fast as your rc car lol
    Revo 3.3- Golden Horizons Aluminum rear skid plate, Tekno adjustable wing mount, Proline 1/8 High Downforce wing, 45wt shock oil in white/green springs...
    and a backyard to bash it in.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by new2revo06
    and njracer, dont worry with dual core ur computers gona be as fast as your rc car lol
    I notice a difference.

Previous slow downs due to a CPU intensive activity is now unnoticable. I can go about doing other things while something is freezing up in the background.

RC Champion
    Me too. I have HT technology(hyper threading for the people who dont know) on my computer. Its good enough. The only problem i have is that my computer wont read or write cds/dvds
    No one ever really dies.

Quote Originally Posted by revorider
    https://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/Default.aspx

is that what your talking about? there recalling batteries. Not the processors. If that's not it, could you throw me a link?
    Yup it's the Sony manufactured batteries in all XPS processor Dell laptops, I do believe other Inspiron models as well many many laptops, the lrgest battery recall ever..

Thanks for the clarification.
    All Lives Matter

RC Racer
    I checked my order status today.My comp was shipped this morning.I should get it August 21-23.Ill let you know how I like it.I got the basic video card.I really dont play comp. games or watch videos on it.I can always upgrade later if I want.

RC Champion
    Sorry I got hiped up, I'm just a mac fanatic.
    RC enthusiast!

RC Qualifier
    Yea , I heard that over 4.5 million of dells labtops that have batteries manufactured by sony were bad
    Revo 3.3- Golden Horizons Aluminum rear skid plate, Tekno adjustable wing mount, Proline 1/8 High Downforce wing, 45wt shock oil in white/green springs...
    and a backyard to bash it in.

RC Champion
    Which is bad becouse it seems everywhere i go everyone has a dell laptop
    No one ever really dies.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboi146
    Which is bad becouse it seems everywhere i go everyone has a dell laptop
    Maybe you should change who you hang out with? lollll
    All Lives Matter

RC Champion
    I take calculus classes at CCNY(City College of New York) And everyone there has dells. lol btw im only 16 just to let you know.

But i was thinking about an xps laptop. Not only do they look nice but they have good performance. Ive used your breakmod before. I might have to go down south and use it again sometime soon
    No one ever really dies.

RC Racer
    Well I finally got my comp. Friday afternoon.It was 1 day after original ship date,not receive date.It's awesome and a big improvement for my old HP.It took a lil while to get used to the larger,brighter monitor.So far-so good.My wife loves the quality of the picture.Now i need to convinse her into a Lcd or plasma TV.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ racer1
    Well I finally got my comp. Friday afternoon.It was 1 day after original ship date,not receive date.It's awesome and a big improvement for my old HP.It took a lil while to get used to the larger,brighter monitor.So far-so good.My wife loves the quality of the picture.Now i need to convinse her into a Lcd or plasma TV.
    The 30" LCD from Dell is pretty nice...

*stuck on 21" CRT. Maybe 19", dunno.*

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    'grats on the new computer. I'm still on a 17" CRT, LCDs are nice but I need to replace my video card that went bad so an LCD is out of the question right now for money. Enjoy

RC poster
    NJ Racer,
    I've had my XPS Gen 5 (looks like the same specs as yours) for a little over a year now. I love it, I got the 24" wide screen which is awesome for games, movies, surfing, or anything else. I have been building my own computers for almost 10 years now, but I can't say I like mine any better than the Dell I got. Of course I also made some changes once I got it using some of my better components. Still this computer is great. My buddy just ordered a XPS 400 off my recommendation, and I think it was a great deal.

For everyone thinking about building.

You'd be hard to beat the deal dell has right now. I compared the price of the Dell vs. buying from my favorite hardware vendor.

19" Flat Panel (179 Newegg)
    1 Gig Ram (75 Newegg)
    Pent Dual core processor 805-(97.00 from newegg)
    DVD/CDRW (25 Newegg)
    80 gig H.D. (40 Newegg)
    128 mb video (40 Newegg)
    Windows XP (85 Newegg)
    Case, P.S., Motherboard, Keyboard, Mouse (~100 Newegg)

649 Dell E510 vs 641 Newegg

But from Newegg you have to build it, and hope that all the cheap parts you just bought don't have any conflicts. For the extra 8 dollars its well worth it for me to let Dell build it. I'm sure some of you will find better prices, but then you have to deal with unreliable sellers.
    Last edited by Sharpshooter; 08-21-2006 at 01:53 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ racer1
    dual cd drives (1 cdrw)
    19" flat panel monitor ,optical mouse,standard speakers.
    $1,070 w/ tax. free shipping. no interest for 18 months.
    Im really not to heavy into computers,but it should be fine for me.
    Motherboard
    dual cd drives (1 cdrw) With a DVD burner instead of a CD burner
    19" flat panel monitor , mouse, keyboard standard speakers.

Also need a PSU, Case, Windows XP Home, and 80 GB hard drive.

Total without shipping: $793.35
    Shipping to Hawaii (2 day FedEx): $190.19 Total: $983.54

Ouch.

Shipping to Las Vegas (3 day FedEx saver): $53.43 Total: $846.78

So how important is $200 to you? No customer support (well, I've heard Dell is not too good themselves, but I have no personal experiance), have to assemble yourself, and hope you dont have any conflicts, like Sharpshooter said.

But hey, you know you get (mostly) name brand parts, know exactly how you could expand in the future, and could theoretically overclock.

I think for cheap computers (sub $600), go with an OEM (unless you buy used...). For performance, you have to build your own.

Quote Originally Posted by aznfro
    So how important is $200 to you? No customer support (well, I've heard Dell is not too good themselves, but I have no personal experiance), have to assemble yourself, and hope you dont have any conflicts, like Sharpshooter said.

But hey, you know you get (mostly) name brand parts, know exactly how you could expand in the future, and could theoretically overclock.

I think for cheap computers (sub $600), go with an OEM (unless you buy used...). For performance, you have to build your own.

These days you really don't save money building your own, unless your building a server or a powerhouse, then you save a few $$$.
    I work as a 1 man IT dept for a mfr, 7 servers 30 workstations. I use name brand computers and keep them standardized (makes support issues easier to deal with). But I have also graphic designers here, who need the power of a good graphics computer, those I build along with the servers cause I can pick and choose what I feel to be best for the job. Things like having a scratch drive, high end video, loaded with memory, and setup the way I prefer it and not loaded with a bunch of un-needed software as well.
    All Lives Matter

RC Qualifier
    These days you really don't save money building your own, unless your building a server or a powerhouse, then you save a few $$$.
    If anything, I 'save' by overclocking a custom system. My $170 AMD X2 3800 is running stable at 2.6 ghz, putting it at a little bit slower than a stock FX-60 that costs $811. That gave me my money's worth.

Truthfully, I'd never slap down $800 for a CPU, nor realize the power it has everyday, but it's nice to have.

Plus no bundled software.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast