Thread: First race

RC Competitor

First race

Took my 3.3 revo to the track today and my first race. It was sooo much fun that I am definetly hooked. Out of the first 3 races I DNF the first, screw came out of stervo horn, the next two races I finished 6th and 5th out of 10. So I was somewhat happy my first time out.
    I just installed the center diff and rear brake kit and went to a single steering servo on the right side and a proline wing. The truck handled great and seemed a lot lighter. What I did notice is that now when I hit a jump or a table top type of jump the front end goes up and I wheelie down the track, is this normal since I lightened it up? Or is it because of the weight of the Ez-start and rear wing? I did notice that I am keeping the throttle on when I jump it, should I not be on the throttle? Help for the newbie race please?
    Revo 3.3,RPM A-arms/bumpers/axle carriers, resonator,Traxxas alum turn-buckles/push rods,center diff/brake kit,single HiTec 5995 steering servo,60 wt shock oil,gold front/tan rear,velocity wheels,bow ties, PL 23 mm hubs, DX3 radio,Zeilke body,PL wing,tekno wing mount,ballistic batteries,T- Maxx 3.3,Rustler w/12t.

RC Qualifier
    yeah you need to keep your throttle about at the same position when you hit the jump otherwise she will nose dive very easily... once it comes loose from the jump soften up on teh throttle instead of keeping it at the same spot ..99% of the time that will level her out... now if you land on the flat that's great , but if you want to land on the backside of the next jump liek with a double jump theres 2 options..either hit the brake in mid air and let the nose come down , or release the throttle coming onto the jump top so it will nose dive by itself...i guess that's a drivers preference... i like to do the second on... i think it's easier to hit the throttle to raise the nose a bit then to hit the brake let the nose come down and then hit the throttle again...

iyou can minimize the wheelie by waiting to hit the gas till you hit the ground... in mid air your tires are spiing at a high rate cause it has no traction once it hits the ground the rear wheels will hit first since you posted that the nose comes up , so when it does the rear tires will grab traction and sending the revo into a wheelie.
    -= Off all the things i lost, i miss my mind the most =-

RC Qualifier
    Congrats. 1 DNF a 5th and a 6th is a great result for the first time out. DNF's are cool - lets you identify the parts of the truck which might need working on/hopping up.

With jumping, if you keep the throttle nailed, the nose of the truck will some up. If you disappear off the throttle, it'll nose dive into the ground.

Try getting off the throttle at the base of the jumpo, then nailing it at the top of the jump, then slightly come off the throttle as you leave the jump (its a lot to get right in such a small amount of time). You can then help the truck in the air by braking (to bring nose down) or blipping the throttle (to bring the nose up). Focus on this during practice, a lot of races will be won and lost in the air.

Smoothly onto the throttle when you land - try and match wheel speed with truck speed to avoid wheelies/rollovers. If you still dont have any luck getting a good landing, maybe loosen the slipper a LITTLE.

Sounds like you and revo are embarking upon a great racing campaign!! Keep us up to date with your progress, makes for great reading and discussion.
    [Traxxas REVO 3.3]: Tekno wing mount. GH aluminium bits'n'pieces. FOC. Spektrum. 40s Velocity & Bow-Tie

Racing is very addictive You'll get better, dont worry about it, all you need is practice and you'll do great!

RC Competitor
    I have been wanting to race for some time--the main track around me used to be all buggies--getting more truggies/monster trucks but now i need to find a pit buddy! Only a few of my buddies are into r/c and they dont race so going to the track not knowing anyone kind of stinks.
    Revo comin through....

RC Qualifier
    Where are u in Illinois, I'm in Villa Park, and looking for a place to race.
    big block picco .26 outlaw T-maxx coming through!

RC Competitor
    Im in springfield--race north in Lincoln though on friday nights--good track--
    Revo comin through....