Thread: Opening a Track

RC poster

Opening a Track

Here in Plattsburgh, N.Y. there isn't a whole lot to do in the winter (which is like 8 months out of the year). There really isn't much more to do in the summer either. My idea is to open a track for R/C's. It would be nice to have it be a semi indoor track or even completely indoor. I of course would like to incorporate both an off-road and on-road course...I'm sure this is possible.
    Both myself and my girlfriend are currently students at the local university here. She's a Finance/Economics Major and I'm studying Physics/Civil Engineering. This would hopefully be a good combination for the "venture".
    So.....the reason I'm posting this is to see if there is anyone out there that would be willing to give me some advice, suggestions, and insight. Of course, if you own a track or know alot about this subject it would be a plus. Even if you just want to comment and suggest ideas I appreciate that as well. This is still in the "idea phase" and we haven't drawn up a business plan yet so... Oh by the way, if you can believe this, there isn't a track or racing center within 150 miles from here.

RC Qualifier
    that sounds like it would be a lot of money and really hard, since you both are students, where would you find the time, but it does sound like you would be the people to pull it off since she is in economics, and you are in engineering. Good luck.
    big block picco .26 outlaw T-maxx coming through!

RC poster
    As far as the money is concerned...there is alot of money available for "new businesses" in the form of local, state, and government grants. All of that is just a matter of "asking". The time on the other hand is definitely a worry. We both work full-time as it is so, if we could start something that would even generate as much money(after overhead costs) as we currently make, the time issue would balance out.
    The issues that I'm most interested in are things like; what to have, what to offer, track set-up, ideas on how much to charge for memberships, costs associated with track use, etc...

RC Qualifier
    Well, more power to you. My suggestion for the indoor/outdoor problem is to buy (if it's even possible) and old unused warehouse, it'd have to be fairly large, and buld an indoor offroad track and somewhere in another part of the warehouse build a carpet track for the on-roaders. Now, that'd be cool, but lots $$$$$ would be involved in doing that.
    Stampede XL1 turned VXL and Rustler XL-5