Thread: new or used?

RC Racer

new or used?

hey guys im looking to get a revo with some of my xmas money and i was just wondering if i should buy a new one used with upgrades for the same price as a new one? usd might have problems running but it would come with upgrades. new is bone stock but i get to have the fun upgrading it and tuning it.

lmk what you think.

RC Champion
    You take a big risk buying used. You don't know if the engine was broken in right, how much it has been run, and how it was maintained. But, the upgrades could make it worth the risk if the price is right. Even better would be an upgraded roller and you choose the engine you want.
    Rustler-3.3,Revo-Hyper .21,Jato-3.3
    lots of mods

RC Racer
    For peace of mind I would go new. Then save up for upgrades, the revo is pretty nice just stock.
    What's a REVO 3.3?

RC Qualifier
    Yep an upgraded roller is what I would be looking for. Pick your engine & pipe. I would never buy a used one with a motor though. It'll cost you alot to buy a new Revo, & upgrade it. Plus I don't trust the 3.3 engine (conrod problems) flame on!
    Here's a pretty nice one... http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=245320
    8% away from needing a new username.

RC Qualifier
    It is risky buying used. I bought my REVO used but it was in great condition. If you find one on ebay, let us know here and we will try and tell you if it is a good deal or not

Cheers

RC Racer
    ya that is probaly the best idea (what kaos said.) you guys will probably be able to tell if its good or not. may look more into buying a nice roller but idk. thanks for all your help guys!

RC Champion
    I bought the RTR and learned everything I could about it then starter with some upgrades. Now I am making another one from the ground up with all upgrade parts and it isnt cheap.

If you will likely upgrade heavily then start from the chassis and build one or like me you will have spent the $500 then more money on upgrades. I have so many upgrades that I decided to just have 2 revos so that I atleast use the stock parts I originaly paid for.

If you leave it pretty much stock with a few things here and there then go new. If you want to go nuts and get the upgrade bug then start fresh.
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=347054

RC Qualifier
    used is fine if you get it cheap enough. what you want to pay used is basically for the rolling chassis. the engine and servos that will come on it are not worth much, and figure you'll have to replace some bearings and other misc parts. add up what it would take to buy whatever mods are on the truck and divide by about three or four, that's about what they're worth used. the day you put fuel in your brand spanking new revo and start the motor it'll probably be worth $300 at best.
    to buy a used one at the same price as new i can't hardly see that happening unless it comes with a high end radio or something similar, and doesn't have a mark on it. maybe you should tell more about the used one you're looking at and people here could tell you what they think it'll be worth.
    jiffy riggin' okie
    revo-world

RC Racer
    ya that sounds good

when i find one ill post

thanks!

RC Racer
    o and whats the diff between the 3.3 and the 2.5? anywhere i can find an answer?

thanks

RC Racer
    http://cgi.ebay.com/TRAXXAS-REVO-3-3...QQcmdZViewItem

seems sweet. lmk what you guys think

RC Champion
    if you have nitro experience I would find a deal on a used one. If not I would by a rtr so you have less to worry about during the learning process

RC Racer
    i have a guy whoe knows it all. im going to be having him help me so either one really doesnt make a diff in a sence.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by misterpoof
    i have a guy whoe knows it all. im going to be having him help me so either one really doesnt make a diff in a sence.

Then I would find a loaded used one it would be the better way to go then. I have seen some really nice ones going at excellent prices. Good Luck

RC Enthusiast
    The Revo Im buying was used one weekend but the guys check bounced, so they took it back. I'm paying $400 for it, and it looks new, with the exception of scratches on the bumpers and skid plate, which indicate to me that it has been bashed a bit. The LHS that has it said the guy has done plenty of business with them, and that he knows how to break one in properly. He is having some financial trouble and returned the truck. I hope I'm not getting fed a line pooh.

RC Racer
    well check it out beforer you buy it ya?

or is it not in town..

ya ill prolly do that bmoney but idk ill find out when i gets some money!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by misterpoof
    well check it out beforer you buy it ya?

or is it not in town..
    It's not in town, but I looked it over at the hobby shop a couple weeks ago. I will be heading over Saturday to pick it up.
    I paid on it this weekend, and looked at it again, but for some reason the scuff on the roof has me thinking the store has bashed it since I layed it away. Who knows. I hope I just overlooked it when I agreed to buy it.

RC Racer
    lets hope! good luck witht that revo! sounds like a pretty good deal.

RC Enthusiast
    I bought mine used off of 3bay and it wasn't running when I bought it, I lucked out and all it needed was an O-ring for the fuel tank. Runs great and I have bought lots of upgrades and still haven't spent what I would have to buy an brand new one.

RC poster
    I have same problem and my friend told me that used is risk...so i'm going to buy a brand new REVO to towerhobbies :-) it's better cuz U know Ur REVO is new and in good condition.

RC Qualifier
    A roller might not be a bad deal, but you never know how somebody takes care of an engine or how many actual gallons or tanks have been through it.

RC Racer
    Used is a gamble, but you will more than likely get a bunch of mods and upgrades.
    I got my Revo for $400.
    I got an RB modded 2.5R, 3.3, RB tm323 and Wasp engine, not to mention a starter box.
    Plus it had the one servo aluminum arm, JR 590 servo (getting replaced with my Air 359), 3 trannies, Center diff, extra front and rear diff, wing kit, 2 complete set of tires, 17mm hubs, extra drive shafts, knuckles and more a-arms than I know what to with and much more than I can remember.

So it's a gamble, but you never know...
    Millenia in coming, the modern age is here. It sanctifies the future, yet renders us with fear. So many theories, so many prophecies, What we do need is a change of ideas.

RC Qualifier
    used is they way to go, you save money, it comes with some mods, and you can use the money you saved to get even more mods. Just do your research on the person you are buying from and you will be good to go.
    big block picco .26 outlaw T-maxx coming through!

RC Racer
    you guys are right! plus isnt a rebuild kit only lkike 65 bucks?

thanks!