RC Qualifier

For The Newbies! The Way I Do Break-in

1. I do the Break-in as outlined in the manual and DVD.
    2. Then after break-in I take it easy with the truck for a week just to make sure the piston and sleeve are fully seated I like to think of it this way I would rather take it easy for a week then blow an engine
    "A good engine, is worth the price of ignition"

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by DaTMaxx
    1. I do the Break-in as outlined in the manual and DVD.
    2. Then after break-in I take it easy with the truck for a week just to make sure the piston and sleeve are fully seated I like to think of it this way I would rather take it easy for a week then blow an engine
    The 6 tank method really just get's the motor loosened up, it also serves as running in the gears and stuff, so it does more than just break in the engine.
    Ususally the motor das not start working at full potential till you hit the 1 gallon mark. But after I would say 10 tanks you should be well broken in at that point. Good Thread.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Nitronaught! I always just thought of my method as cheap insurance...lol this should be a sticky

RC Qualifier
    I've done a few different break in techniques.

Traxxas method on 2 motors, heat cycle on 1, wolf method on 1, bench break in on 1. Of those 5 motors, the longest lasting one got 5.5 gallons.

Now with my latest motor, I tuned it very slightly rich, like 1/5 of a turn from a performance tune, and ran it easy for 7 tanks, then performance tuned it an ran it hard since then. I just finished up my 7th gallon on this motor, and it STILL gets stuck at TDC when I try to start it.

Break in is very important on a new motor, but its not like you need to follow a specific guide for doing it. Just take it easy for 5 to 10 tanks and you're all good.
    I would use mailbox posts to brake, then again I know how to drive.

RC Qualifier
    I thought I would bring this to the top for the Newbies! +1 on Nitronaught's comment