Thread: 4-tec vs ?

RC Qualifier

4-tec vs ?

How does the 4-tec hold up against other cars. Like say a kyosho around the same price range & what would be the advantages or disavantages. I currently own a Revo 3.3 and am looking into getting into drifting. Also can a 4-tec drift well out of ther box or do you need to set it up for that application?

thx for any input
    Aka Rev_one... Get some !

RC Champion
    Well you would have to set it up to drift. I don't know about the Kyosho cars, but Traxxas support is really good and you can get parts pretty much anywhere in the U.S. In the past Kyosho parts have been a hard find unless the hobby shop has some sort of deal with the distributor. I ultimately make all of my hobby purchases based on availability of parts. Iv'e been burned by that before. Bought a hard to find custom oval car that was top of the line several years ago and then you couldn't get replacement parts for like 6 months. The car was broke for half the racing season.
    -Terry
    "The best part of wakin' up....is Nitro" i

RC Enthusiast
    I race my 4-tec 3.3 against Kyosho Evolva 2005 (big block engines) that my two friends own.
    I have been winning because of the ability to get the car slowed down and through the corner smoother.... in their defense the Evolva 2005 are heavier and harder to slow down and take more RPM to engage the clutch. In the corners I brake straight, turn it and hold my speed steady, then roll through the center of the corner and I try to be really smooth accelerating out of the corner. If you decelerate too hard entering a corner the car will spin out. If you accelerate too hard out of the corner the car will spin out. Be really smooth and keep the car balanced. I love my 4-tec, it is very nimble, with good throttle and brake control it drives like a dream. I use HPI Pirelli tires with HPI hard racing inserts.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    In straight line, nothing out of the box will touch the 3.3 4tec .
    World fastest E-revo 91.2mph / Revo 75mph
    ABmods

RC Enthusiast
    i have a nitro 4tec 2.5 with a 3.3 in it . i also have all the graphite installed even the hard to get upper chassis plate, a couple of aluminum traxxas parts, and higher gearing. the car with the 3.3 drifts like a champ, but when i had the 2.5 installed it didnt drift as much. if you are getting the 3.3 4tec i would suggest you get the carbon disc brake for it , it works much better than the stock one.