The life of a glow plug

I was just wondering what the life span of a glow plug is supposed to be?

Do i have to use it till the glow plug light on the ez start wont come on? My mates jato has had about 25-30 tanks of nitro through and he has went through 3 glow plugs, and ive went through about 20 and am still on my first one! Is this normal? or is it just down to how each person tune's their carby? Will a glow plug change assist with performance or just make easer starting?

Iam running 20% nitro but i coundnt get any traxxas 3231's so i got 2 o.s. lc3 hot glow plugs, are these good plugs? are they suitable for the nitro iam running?

RC Champion
    many factors determine the life of glow plugs, too rich, they will foul, just like on a real car with a carb running too rich, too lean, they will fail, wire distorted. However, they will slowly deteriate, and loose efficiency, just like a spark plug would.

RC Champion
    life of glow plugs apears to be random to me. when they fail the light on the ez start dosen't always go out, because its just an LED connected in the circuit with the glow plug, so if electrisity is flowing then it lights, it can't tell if the glow plug is bad unless the coil completely melts.

anyway, on my first nitro the glow plug lasted about a year and a half, using about one litre of fuel every two weeks. then when i got the jato, the glow plug lasted about half a gallon. on my jato 3.3 it failed 3 tanks after break in, then i put a new one in and its still going now.
    so from that it dosen't apear they have a specific life span, but better tuning will definetly make them last longer.

RC Qualifier
    but too rich is just as bad as too lean. fouls em out.
    www.chiefengines.com 2000 horsepower twin turbo!

RC Champion
    i get about a gallon and a half on a plug. except my last one which went within a minute. factory defect.

RC Champion
    well, for the 2.5 and 3.3 runnign with 20% top fuel , what is the best brand for glow plugs? what is the best heat thing? like hot, medium, etc? i run imex L7 HOT because that is the only kind they got at my lhs. should i start getting traxxas ones?
    WARNING:exposure to nitro can lead to drain bamage

RC Qualifier
    You will notice trouble starting and keeping the engine running with a fouled glow plug. I have had some go for months while others have died in a week. It all depends on how it is run(lea, rich) and many other factors. I run the trx heavy duties or the megatech, Q Series. The O.S. LC3 Long Reach T-Maxx Glow Plug Hot will also work..
    hope this helps,
    Matt
    Traxxas Jato-Revo springs, the Proline Gladiator 2's in the rear and blades up font, 2.2 inch agitator rims. Traxxas St-Maxx upgrades- RD Logics dual exhaust, RPM arms, shock towers, and skids, Proline 40's Series Velocity 6 rims, Road Rage tires, GPM aluminum shocks, and a home made Rx pack.

RC Champion
    how is it determined what glowplug heat you should get?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It is determined by the engine you have , and the fuel % you run .

higher% of fuel need colder plug.

example 20% fuel run med hot- to hot plug.

over 30% need colder plug.
    World fastest E-revo 91.2mph / Revo 75mph
    ABmods

RC Qualifier
    any recommendations for 33% fuel?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    On a 3.3 ? MC coy MC-8 (med- cold)
    or Mc Coy MC9 ( cold plug )
    ABmods

RC Qualifier
    ok mc9 is what i got

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Its good, you have any problem with those plug ?
    ABmods

RC Qualifier
    Ummm....

You're supposed to run a LONG and HOT plug on 20% nitor with the 3.3. those two words I put in caps are the key words.

MC-59s which have been used by MANY MANY and still the MOST used plug used by Treaxxas owners on their TRX engines are made by McCoy. These are LONG and HOT plugs. A standard sized plug is like 2-3 threads shorter and short plugs are like 1-2 threads shorter than a standard plug.

Other variations of the McCoy 59 (MC-59) plug is the O.S. LC3 and the Duratrax LR3. Both the LR3 and LC3 are EXACTLY the same. buying the DuraTrax is cheaper and buying from O.S. is buying the "name brand". Where the MC-59 sits in-between the $ of the LC and LR plugs.

Off Tower Hobbies and OmniModels, you can purchase the DuraTrax LR3 plugs for only 3 bucks. Free shipping from Omni w/ purchases over $100 and $7.00 under $100.

So what I do is buy 7 or 14 LR3 plugs which is still cheaper than any LHS.

7 = $4.50 each
    14 = $4.25 each

I have run around 10-11 tanks and haven't burnt out ANY plugs, I do switch between the plugs though. Currently i'm running a MC-59 that I had in NIP for 3 years and it seems to ignite my engine the fastest. Then the Traxxas comes in second with start up speed, and lastly the LR3 comes in last since it didn't start up as fast...

My ranking is VERY inaccurate though as they were all used in different climates ranging from 90 to 50 F. And different battery levels.

I'm sure the LR3 will be the better plug since it was the one I used in the 50 and 65 degree days and they took about 45 seconds to boot up.

So all in all, as long as you have a LONG plug to keep the compression right and a HOT plug to keep the fuel ignited... You're in good shape!
    Traxxas owner since 6/02 and back in the game!

RC Enthusiast
    I use the LC3 and have been going through alot of them.
    The guy at my local hobby shop said I should try putting two brass washers on the glow plug instead of one, to get the plug out of the combustion chamber a little.

I will be running Friday Night so I will let you know how it works.

RC Champion
    keep in mind, the temp range of a glow plug is really just to advance/retard the ignition timing.
    think of it this way, low nitro is like high octane gasoline in a 1:1.
    so you can advance the ignition alot without and bad effects (like preignition)

High nitro content is like low octane gasoline in a 1:1. if you advance it too much, you get preignition and other problems.

thats why cold is better for high content and vise versa for hot plugs.
    a hot plug wont make the fuel burn hotter.

Just puttin that out there

EDIT: oh and this wasnt a response to anyones post i was just saying to let some people know who might not have known.

RC Champion
    http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRA06&P=7 is this that mc-59 plug? should i get this one or should i get the the mc-9 or mc-8