RC Enthusiast

Jato 2.5R won't stay running.

Idles great for a really long time (several minutes). I could not get more than a lap or two in, then the car would lean the engine and die. After more tries and tuning… same thing was still happening, and with some help, we deduced that I had a fuel flow problem. I use an in-line fuel filter so we opened it up and continuously turned over the engine…no flow. When we put a finger over the exhaust pipe, fuel flowed out of the open line. The instant he removed his finger the fuel fully stopped flowing. Zip…zero…not a drop! We back washed the fuel line with fuel and there was dirt clogging the in-tank filter. But that still did not fix the problem. I replaced the fuel lines and removed the tank for cleaning, making sure to back-wash the in-tank filter. Fuel flows perfect now. I put in a new glow plug filled the tank returned the Jato to factory needle settings. Still the same thing.
    The only other issue with the car is the paper-type thing inside the exhaust pipe (where the manifold meets the pipe) came apart so I removed it... could that be the issue?

I am really frustrated by this please help!!!!

RC Qualifier
    sounds like you lost compression same thing happend to my 2.5 wouldent stay running and it was really hard to start when trying to start it open the carb to make it eaisery to prime and how long have you had your 2.5r and check if it does have any compression just turn the flywheel if its really hard to turn you have compression and if its easy to turn you need a new engine

RC Enthusiast
    I turned by hand (one finger) and there is resistance then a pop sound as the cylinder goes from Top Dead Center position. I don't know how much resitance there should be... I would rate the compression as medium light, because it does not take alot of pressure to make it roll past TDC.

RC Qualifier
    i would take it up to your lhs to see what they can do for you like put a new piston and sleve in it you will have to break in your new sleve and piston again but i think it would be worth it and its cheaper then buying a completeliy new engine

RC Enthusiast
    I don't trust my lhs... he overcharges for parts, so I will be doing all work myself. I am capable of doing that type of tedious work with exacting specs.
    What if that is not the problem? could it be something else. I maintain my vehicles well so it is not due to neglect.

I love my Jato...now I am sad.

RC Champion
    you could use the method shown here:
    http://misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lane/wo...worn-motor.asp
    thats a simple way to tell, but it does require to take the engine completely apart.

RC Qualifier
    i was sad to when my 2.5 died but dont worry we have the techlogy we can make him faster better stronger lol ya doing the sleve and piston really isent a hard job you just gotta no what you are doing well good luck with you 2.5r i hope you fix it

RC Enthusiast
    I just tested it one more time. As soon as it died I checked the compression by turning the flywheel. ZERO compression. Rebuild time. Thanks for your help I really apreciate it.