RC poster

Suspension Setup

What tricks or procedures do you guys use to set up your suspension? Last time I ran my Nitro 4tec was about 2 years ago, I bought some blue anodized shocks and they were terrible! I ended up getting some new big bore shocks for it but got out of the hobby for a while...now I'm back at it again and will be firing up my car pretty soon for the first time in ages. It's an original Nitro 4tec with the TRX Pro .15, never had any problems with this car until I bought those shocks. I no longer have the stock shocks but I'm going to give these big bore shocks a try first and see how they do. I really need to be schooled on suspension setup. Also what are the best tires to use for good traction on black top pavement? Would slicks provide better traction than regular radial tires? Right now I'm using some standard HPI belted radial tires. THANKS! -Jeremy

RC Enthusiast
    Right now I run the Pirelli with the hard racing inserts. They give really good traction. I run a noticeable camber on all four wheels...this keeps the rims from hitting on high speed corners or sloloms (otherwise it will flip over)...also I run about 8-10mm of pre-load shock spacer. I have used slicks on parking lots ... it was ok... they are better for a prepared track.

That is just my opinion!

RC poster
    cool I will make those adjustments before running it. Also, what weight shock oil do you use? I'm taking the shocks apart and refilling them to make sure everything is good there, since it has been sitting. I've got a bottle of Trinity 40 I'm going to try.

RC Champion
    Depends on how you want it to drive. 40-50 wt is a good starting point. If you like a more reactive car, you will want stiffer springs. Especially if you run foam tires. Foams will give the best traction on a smooth, clean asphalt surface. 30mm 40 shore rear and 26mm 40 shore front is best starting place. Nitro shoes are awesome. Associated TC3 springs fit the big bores. I run red in the rear and blue front on rubber tire setup. Stiffer springs when running foams.

Set camber by checking tire wear. They should wear evenly across the contact patch. If they are wearing more on the outside, then you need to adjust camber so that top leans inward more. Just the opposite for tire wear on the inside. 1.5 degrees in (viewed from top) on the front and 2 degrees in on the rear is a good starting point for camber.
    -Terry
    "The best part of wakin' up....is Nitro" i