Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    GiveMeA,

The nicking does not come from sliding the x ring onto the shaft of the pinion gear, the shaft is relatively dull, it comes when the x ring is on the shaft and it is pushed into the cup. It essentially get squished in there and not seated like it should be. Turning them and pushing on them will not seat them either. Next time you rebuild a diff, push and spin the pinion gear into the cup like you normally do, then watch as the pinion gear will spring back up ever so slightly. As far as the tips of the gears, they should not be any were near the x ring.

If you are "putting grease all over them", this grease will surely break down the silicone diff lube as well.

BTW, please dont take this as me being a jerk. I am here to help just like the rest of the Traxxas Team. This method of rebuilding diffs is proven to be leak free.

Roy

RC Qualifier
    one way to look at it is the diff cup/ ring gear to x-ring area does not have near the movement as the x-ring to shaft. if you roll an edge of the x-ring i'd rather do it in the shaft to x-ring area than the other. chances of it straightening itself out are higher.
    put the x-ring into the gear/ cup first. i put them in dry, then wipe a coating of silicone diff oil on the x-ring, and the output shaft. then install the output shafts. the sharp edges you're worried about on the output shafts are a non-issue if you install the shafts using a twisting motion.
    use the silicone diff oil as a lubricant, adding grease to your silicone diff oil is getting into some chemistry i don't know anything about so i don't see any sense in doing that.
    once you've done all that care must be taken to not let the output shafts move back up, or you'll have to start all over again and that can be a pain if you've already filled the diff.
    using that method my diffs have not leaked unless the x-ring just wears out.
    jiffy riggin' okie
    revo-world

RC Qualifier
    OK guys I appreciate the help and Iami now Jerk at all man I appreciate learning from experienced people.

I will do what arbjc said and lube it with the actual silicone oil since it will accomplish the same task but with out the risk if any on mixing grease with the silicone.

I checked the diffs after my last track day and the were great. The CD had no oil on the outside with the method I have been doing so I wouldnt say its impossible to seat the X rings in this matter but I would say using grease with silicone could pose an issue and like Arbjc I dont understand chemistry however there is no benefit in using grease vs silicone oil so why chance it.

Thanks guys I will give it a go on the next time I rebuild them but so far it has worked for me with out leaks. I just did a rebuild of the truck and the diffs felt fine and had minimal accumulation of stuff on the outside near the bearings and out put shafts. I think it was since the time before I cleaned and lubbed the bearings so the excess flew out of them and attacted dirt.
    Last edited by GiveMeA; 03-28-2007 at 07:05 PM.
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=358382

RC Enthusiast
    The Last Fall cleaning of my REVO, I rebuilt the Diffs to the instructions in the rebuild kit, I have had NO LEAKS as of YET.

The one guy said something about leaks it DIFFS from eBAY. I Built a Shelf Queen and the FRONT Diff I purchased on eBAY leaked. (Front Only). Doesn't have 1 minute of RUN TIME on them. Really ticked me off, got my shelf all DIRTY unlike my BASHER REVO. (Not saying eBAY diffs are bad either!)

I still don't understand WHY NEW diffs leak and my BASHER Revo that has over 2 gallons through it NEVER leaked EVEN before I rebuilt the Diffs.

RC Qualifier
    They dont take the time to build them right and every diff I had that was stock leaked. That is 6 diffs so far.
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=358382

RC Enthusiast

Diff oil VS Grease..

Right now I have 50 wt traxxas diff oil in my diffs and it doesn't seem to leak.
    Now with the grease I did use grease for a while and what I used was Kleen-flo slide ez, it goes on all the slide points in your brakes, it won't sling off, it's silicone based, it maintains viscosity through all temps, and it repels water. I had it in for about half a gallon of fuel and when I opened the diff again it was still all over the gears instead of the side walls which is where grease usually goes..

And hey for a last thing to try if you want to keep using the diff oil instead of grease just use a light film of the Slide EZ on ALL the seals when assembling the diff and it should slow it up or even stop the leaky diff. Thanks.
    Last edited by EASTCOTT; 03-30-2007 at 10:39 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12