RC poster

Question New owner needs help!

Hi all

I bought a second-hand Revo 2.5 last year, from someone I trust(ed). It's never been particularly happy though, so I've been trying to sort it out.

When I first got it, it was running very rough, and seemed to be overfuelling - there was unburnt fuel coming out of the tailpipe. I followed the manual to reset the fuelling back to standard, after which it ran more smoothly, and put out blue smoke from the exhaust as it said it should. I've also just replaced the glow plug.

The major problem I have now is cutting out. Yesterday, it started after a time, and ran fine for a few minutes - smoothish idle, smooth acceleration. I didn't cane it - just played around in the yard, with no full throttle. Then, while it was just idling (not while accelerating) it cut out, and wouldn't restart. It did have fuel.

Any suggestions, please? I'm beginning to wish I'd not got a Nitro truck

RC Racer
    nitros are definitely more work...but it's supposed to be fun tinkering with it. It can get frustrating though when you're not sure what to look for.

You're situation could be a variety of things. As the engine runs you have to tune it as it reaches a constant warm temp and also to your environment. It sounds like you might need to lean it out a bit both the low and high to create better idling. It might be flooded now depending on how many times you tried to restart it. Follow the clearing a flooded engine process and try restarting it. It takes at least a good tank of fuel to start to get a good tune, but once it's tuned it should fly along until you're ready to stop.

RC Racer
    you might also need to adjust the idle screw as well to bump up the idle a bit

RC Enthusiast
    I had a similar problem. Before it cut out though, the idle would go way too high when not moving. It turned out I was running it too lean, causing the engine to get too hot.

If this is the case with yours, it is likely that your glow plug has been damaged. I would try replacing the glow plug, richening the fuel mixture and trying again

RC poster
    Thanks for the replies, guys. This seems like a pretty good friendly forum

I've just been out and had a go with it. I got it nicely warmed up, and even did a few full throttle passes. It ran more happily this time, but still cut out a couple of times. I noticed a few things:

* good blue smoke on acceleration (both on startup, and then hot)
    * after running a while, it had a dark sticky residue coming from the exhaust

(would these suggest reasonable fuelling? I take the point it needs fine tuning - do I need a temperature gauge for this, or can it be done well without?)

* it seems to idle at a slightly different level, after each blast along
    * it only cuts out after idling a few seconds, before which the idle becomes a bit irregular
    * fast +++

Lucas: I've already replaced the glow plug, and it didn't make any difference

Make sure your carb is clean and operates normally when not running.
    You may have a sticky slide. Your idle should hold the slide open about 1mm when not on the throttle. Make sure the slide isnt closing a little when you hit the brakes, as some people use the throttle trim to set the idle.