RC Champion

Recent performance drop in titan?

I've been driving my stock xl-5 more and more every day. During this, I have been wondering.. I used to be able to weelie, now I can barely pull the tires up. I used to be doing 26.7 and now im down to 23.8. My dads rustler for some reason has a bullet proof motor. No matter what he does (he hasn't cleaned it since he got it) it always runs perfect. Not the ol' stampede. I've ran motor cleaner, greese. It just has gone to a new low. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Another question (off the topic) how much do your shocks sag?
    Speak the truth, or don't speak at all.

Have you been using the same battery, or batteries, the entire time? Could be issues with the cells aging, or how they have been maintained.
    You mention using grease on the Titan--ummm; what kind, and where have you been using it? You don't need to do anything to this motor other than clean it and, if you want, lube the bushings. Grease would be a no-no and could be gunking things up, for lack of a better term.
    And finally, have you checked your slipper-clutch adjustment? It may be a simple matter of adjusting/tightening that.
    99%er

RC Champion
    Okay, Yes all batteries have been the same. ( Me and my dad share batteries) I've ran his and he's ran mine. Not the batteries. I use bushing lube (sorry for the grease.) I used trinity pink stuff in a little bottle. Slipper has been tightned all the way. and 1/2 turn back.

Try going 1/4 turn back. That's all I needed.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    going tighter on the slipper isn't going to fix the top speed problem...

once the Titan gets dirt on the brushes it's all over unless you catch it immediately and clean it out but it's kinda impossible b/c you can't tell if a small spec of dirt got in the motor just by looking at it. I've gone through too many 12T titans to count (probably my 5 or 6) and it's a fun little motor for a couple of months but inevitably it burns out. Mine all started the way yours did, a little performance decrease, then a little more, then it just stops working. I cleaned after every 5-7 runs and I re-lube the bushings but it doesn't make any difference, it's just not a robust motor, especially on 7-cells. Go brushless, I did and I'll never look back!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by family77
    going tighter on the slipper isn't going to fix the top speed problem...

once the Titan gets dirt on the brushes it's all over unless you catch it immediately and clean it out but it's kinda impossible b/c you can't tell if a small spec of dirt got in the motor just by looking at it. I've gone through too many 12T titans to count (probably my 5 or 6) and it's a fun little motor for a couple of months but inevitably it burns out. Mine all started the way yours did, a little performance decrease, then a little more, then it just stops working. I cleaned after every 5-7 runs and I re-lube the bushings but it doesn't make any difference, it's just not a robust motor, especially on 7-cells. Go brushless, I did and I'll never look back!
    Any recommendations on a brushless motor model ?

RC Qualifier
    When I went brushless my titan found its way into my brothers pede... now it goes as slow as his old stinger lol
    Nitro: $.08 a minute
    Electric: $.006 a minute

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pedeaddict
    Any recommendations on a brushless motor model ?
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=364580
    Pede_4X4Pede_Rusty_1/10SlashVXL_1/16SummitVXL

RC Champion
    My vote would go to the mamba. I really had some good times with the titan! I don't want to get rid of it! If i did, I would want to replace it with a sv2 pro bb 17x2.

I totally agree with Blade's appearant opinion of the Titan. Everyone seems to be in such a hurry to replace it (brushless envy) when, in reality, it's a great little motor. I can get 33mph out of mine so I'm not in a huge hurry to replace it with a motor that will cost twice as much, and BARELY edge the Titan in speed. I have an Orion pro BB, 15T--it's sitting on the shelf. Why? Because the Titan is a decent motor. I'm gonna run it until it's toast; then I'll put the Orion in it.
    99%er

RC Champion
    yes! The titan is a great motor, and there is no need to replace it. For a basher, it is plenty fast.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by B L A D E
    yes! The titan is a great motor, and there is no need to replace it. For a basher, it is plenty fast.
    I would second that.
    Bill

Stampede in pieces. Slash 2.4

RC Champion
    i am going mamba i have a stock xl-1 and i am going right to mamba 7700 on GP3300 or ib3800 or was it 3600 but then save up again and get the aluminum setup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KEPPY_gotpedes?
    i am going mamba i have a stock xl-1 and i am going right to mamba 7700 on GP3300 or ib3800 or was it 3600 but then save up again and get the aluminum setup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Well aren't you in for a rude awakening of very high speeds, and major torque! Have fun