Thread: loctite pinion

RC Racer

loctite pinion

After the pinion gear discussion the other day I bought some of the loctite that was discussed and gave it a try. Thought I would let everyone know it worked great, the pinion is actually held on there way more securely than with that little screw. Works great and is very easy!

RC Qualifier
    I sure hope you put the loctite on the grub screw and not on the motor shaft...

RC Champion
    It should work fine. I might try that on my Titan.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by murph12
    After the pinion gear discussion the other day I bought some of the loctite that was discussed and gave it a try. Thought I would let everyone know it worked great, the pinion is actually held on there way more securely than with that little screw. Works great and is very easy!
    I tried it a few days ago with the Green Loctite that was recommended in that pinion thread. I let it sit 24 hours and was very pleased with how well it is holding on the shaft and how easy it came off when heated with a match. No more set screws for me unless I am experimenting with gearing.
    I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

RC Champion
    Does any auto parts store carry green loctite?

Edit: 1000th post! W00t!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbyGoblin
    Does any auto parts store carry green loctite?

Edit: 1000th post! W00t!
    You want Loctite 609. You could check an autoparts store. I got mine from a local tooling supplier. Saw it when I was picking up some cutters for my boss. It is not loctite, but rather the permatex equivalent, which was much cheaper.

Here is a link to a picture of it

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by cuda_tmaxx
    You want Loctite 609. You could check an autoparts store. I got mine from a local tooling supplier. Saw it when I was picking up some cutters for my boss. It is not loctite, but rather the permatex equivalent, which was much cheaper.

Here is a link to a picture of it
    Thanks alot cuda. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Traxxas Marshal
    Do you guys have quality hex wrenches? You don't need thread lock at all if you have the right tools to get the set screw (aka grub screw) nice and tight. Since I bought good drivers, I have had no issues with the set screws. It's been at least a year or so now...
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool
    Do you guys have quality hex wrenches? You don't need thread lock at all if you have the right tools to get the set screw (aka grub screw) nice and tight. Since I bought good drivers, I have had no issues with the set screws. It's been at least a year or so now...
    Nope no problems here. Although it would help to have a backup plan (green loc-tite) to use if I ever have problems. That way, while I'm waiting on new set screws or hex tips to come in the mail, I can be running my 'Pede.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by family77
    I sure hope you put the loctite on the grub screw and not on the motor shaft...
    This IS about putting the loctite on the motor shaft and not on the grub screw. In fact, it's about using the loctite to hold the pinion to the shaft instead of any grub screw at all!

Quote Originally Posted by clownstrike
    This IS about putting the loctite on the motor shaft and not on the grub screw. In fact, it's about using the loctite to hold the pinion to the shaft instead of any grub screw at all!
    So, you do put the Loctite on the shaft, right?
    99%er

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TAT2
    Yes, that would be correct.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TAT2
    Yup. No grub screw needed.

Traxxas Marshal
    So you guys are trusting a "glue" to hold on the pinion gear? Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool
    So you guys are trusting a "glue" to hold on the pinion gear? Hmm...
    That's what I'm sayin. Sounds kinda sketchy. I just got some of the Loctite 609 so I am going to give it a try. If it saves me from having to grind down grub screws, well I'm all for it, but I'm a bit apprehensive about it. I'll have my fingers crossed the entire time. But if Castle says that this works with their Mamba systems, then it ought to be pretty strong, and I guess I shouldn't worry to much.
    99%er

Traxxas Marshal
    Well, thread lock is like glue for metal... I'm either thinking that it would be too soft or too hard making it difficult to remove the pinion. I don't know. I'll stick with my set screw. Seems like a better plan.

RC Champion
    Yes, im right there with you. I occasionaly use locktite on the screw. But never on the shaft! I use the standard hex wrenches. They seem to work fine for me. I should get some high quality ones as cooleocool mentioned.
    Speak the truth, or don't speak at all.

RC Racer
    I tried it because someone who works directly for catle creations reccomended it and said it works great. i have not been disappointed at all. It holds the pinion on way more securely than the grub screw did. It was also very easy to get off when a put a lighter under it. seems alot easier to me, but whatever you guys like is what you should do!

RC Qualifier
    no you don't put loctite on the shaft...you put it on the grub screw.

RC Champion
    Haha...cooleo, remember when I told you that the 1/16" Integy bit I ordered was too big for my RR pinion? Well, I got my 17t RR pinion today, and tried the 1/16" on it. It seemed like the bit was too big still, but after I fiddled with it a second or two it slipped right in the hex hole in the grub screw! I had been using a 1.5mm bit (fits Traxxas grubs) and wondering why the screw on my 15t RR was wallowing out so much, and it took me until today to figure it out. ROFL! Looks like the RR pinions come with grub screws that have very, very tight tolerances.

Oh yeah, no loctite for me. I don't think I'll ever need it, because I can get these grub screws on tighter than ever now.

RC Enthusiast
    You're missing the point. You CAN use loctite 609 on the shaft in place of a grub screw. That's what this whole thread is about.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    In case you missed it

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Ford
    Get rid of the set screw altogether. Green Loctite formula RC609...we use it on all our vehicles at the shop and in our even higher power airplanes/helis (7hp+ setups)...no set screw needed. Simply apply the loctite to the motor shaft, slide on your pinion and position it so it's going to mesh properly with the spur gear, let the loctite set (I leave mine for 30-45 min to make sure), and mesh the pinion and spur gears. You'll be good to go after that. To get the pinion off, hit it with a lighter or mini torch and it'll come right off.

RC Enthusiast
    I was the one that started that thread originally, in fact at the hobby shop the guy suggested it too, I ended up buying a quality used Team Losi hex wrench set instead that solved the problems I was having.

After I finally fixed that problem I promptly stripped my spur gear, and ran the truck through a puddle, fortunately no major damage to any electronics but sheesh it seems I can't keep this truck running more than 5 minutes without breaking something.

RC Racer
    This sounds interesting to me, i am gonna try it! Where do you apply it ? Is it on flat part of shaft or around shaft then put pinion on?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rc'er
    This sounds interesting to me, i am gonna try it! Where do you apply it ? Is it on flat part of shaft or around shaft then put pinion on?
    I put a bit of it on the end of the motor shaft, some inside the pinion, slide it on, set my gear mesh, easily wiped away any excess, and let it sit. Bonds super tight, and releases with a bit of heat

RC Champion
    What if your motor gets too hot and it melts?

Better watch out for the spur-tooth burglar. -------->

RC Racer

I was just about to ask same thing lol.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

If your motor hits temperatures high enough to melt the loctite, the pinion coming loose is going to be insignificant compared to tht other damage being done.

RC Racer
    well is 140 degrees going to melt the loctite because my pinion gear has been at least that hot on many occasions

Quote Originally Posted by VicSkim021
    well is 140 degrees going to melt the loctite because my pinion gear has been at least that hot on many occasions
    That is pretty hot!! Are you sure your gear mesh is set right?

And about this loctite subject, sounds iffy..

I will stick to my grub screw and 1/16" driver.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    140 degrees is perfectly fine for a Mamba.

Loctite melts in the 300-400* range

RC Racer
    ok just checking on what people meant by a "little" heat.

RC Qualifier
    As long as you have a good quality 1/16th hex wrench, you should'n't have any problems with just using the set screw. And when I'm talking about a good quality 1/16th hex wrench, you don't have to spend a lot of money on it. You can buy just a 1/16th long L-wrech Craftsman, for only $3.00. Then, about once a year when the ends of the wrench start showing signs of wear, just take the wrench back to your local Sears, and get a free replacment! For $3.00 you can have a high quality pinion-wrench for as long as you own your RC's. And of course for $15 you could just buy a full set of long L-wrenchs and have a full set of high quality hex wrenchs for life.

The main problem I see with this loctite deal is the waiting 24 hours for it to cure. If I'm out bashing or at a local track, I like having the ability to change gear ratio if needed. True, it might be useful for someone who's stripped out the pinion's set screw, but then again a new pinion is only $3-4.

Fred

Traxxas Marshal
    I think that Fred makes the best point... Who really wants to wait that long? When ever I'm changing a pinion, I want to get back out and run most of the time. Within 24 hours anyway.

I just assume have a mechanical connection ...