RC Racer

GP3300's going down hill

I've had my GP3300s for 8 months now and they've been doing great this whole time. I upgraded to a mamba 5700 2 weeks ago and at first the 3300s did fine but now it seems that i dont have the punch or runtime i had at first (tried all different kinds of gearing). I have never abused the packs in any way but it only seems that 1 of the 4 has the same punch/runtime.

Also just FYI, a friend let me use his 6 cell duratrax 4200s while he was gone and WOW they outperform my good 3300 by a mile. They had a lot more punch and at least 20 minutes of runtime, 15 with the 3300s. I know the price difference and everything still makes the 3300s a better deal but i was almost confused when i saw how much more punch they had. haha

I actually noticed the same thing with my rather old 3300 7-cell packs and my Mamba. The first few weeks I was getting around 40 MPH on 7-cells, then it started slowing down a bit, now it's around 35 on 7-cells. The batteries don't hold a charge that long anymore, and runtime is only about 10 minutes. One of the packs is over a year old, and the other is about 6 months old. I think it's time for some new packs.

RC Racer
    yea 10 minutes is what im getting out of the other 3 packs. I was hoping for a little bit longer life than 8 months though.

RC Champion
    i buy new batterys every year b/c i had a battery that went back and fried the plug together i had to cut it off and get a new one. but i was useing my crapy epic 1500s the one that i started the hobby with>

RC Turnbuckle Jr. bashin Maxxer15's Avatar
    Yeah, my GP3300's are going downhill a little bit too, their going on year old....
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

RC Champion
    That is an average lifespan for a NimH when current drains are above the battery capability. If you don't want that problem with spending money every year, go with lithiums.
    2 KILOWATT RACER

RC Racer
    One of my 3300s just peaked at 6.54 volts. dead cell?

RC Champion
    Probably a reversed cell due to over-discharging.

RC Racer
    2 of the cells actually were around 6.3 volts before i charged them. I charged the first at .5 volt and it charged all the way up to the normal 8.9 volts but the second did not.

The thing is i am sure that i did not overdischarge them, if anything i stopped before i usually do (still had full power)

I guess I am going to need new packs as well as I am WAY outdated..

I am running a 7 cell sanyo 2400( yea nicd, its how I roll)

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by VicSkim021
    2 of the cells actually were around 6.3 volts before i charged them. I charged the first at .5 volt and it charged all the way up to the normal 8.9 volts but the second did not.

The thing is i am sure that i did not overdischarge them, if anything i stopped before i usually do (still had full power)
    The only other thing I can think of that may have ruined the cells is if you were over geared, thus causing premature battery life. Just a guess though.

RC Racer
    well i've had them for 8 months, two weeks brushless and i've geared conservatively the whole time. I was thinking about taking the packs apart and rebuilding them as 3 8-cell packs instead of 4 6-cells but now it'll be 1 7-cell and 2 8-cells. And ill order an ib3600 off of tower to get back up to 4 packs

RC Champion
    You'll like that SMC IB3600.