Thread: Motor change

RC Enthusiast

Motor change

Hi,

Still have the stock 20 turn stinger motor in my stampede. Thinking of changing the motor. Any suggestions?

Thanks

many people suggest the Team Orion 17t sv2 pro BB. It is a great motor from what I have heard. Lasts long due to slanted brushes, and is a good performer.

RC Champion
    That motor is a good motor. Also, the Trinity Speedgems series is a good choice too.
    "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail" Ben Franklin

RC Racer
    IF you dont want to deal with changing the brushes and springs, then taking the motor to a hobby shop every so often to cut the lathe, then i would definately suggest the titan if you are willing to upgrade the esc as well. Its cheap, fast, and has lasted me 8 months.

Maybe i just got lucky but that motor went through everything. For about three months straight i was running on the beach and wet sand. It even took a pretty nice dip in the salt water. But in the last month it has started smoking twice but still runs great! lol
    Last edited by VicSkim021; 04-15-2007 at 10:14 PM.

Traxxas Marshal
    What speed controller do you have?

If you're looking for a speed and power increase, get the 19-turn Team Orion SV2 Pro BB with a 17-tooth pinion. You'll notice quite the difference over your Stinger! I have a review of that motor here:

19-Turn Formula BB reivew
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

I second the above noted Orion 19 turn, it's a great motor with stock old style XL-1 ESC! I get 15+ minutes of runtime with my 6 cell tenergy 3500Mah packs.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. bashin Maxxer15's Avatar
    Yeah, if you still have the XL-1, the 19 turn Orion SV2 Pro BB would be a great choice!
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

Traxxas Marshal
    Even if he doesn't, that is a great motor! Leaps and bounds better than the Stinger in terms of performance!

Upgrade that ESC and the possibilities are virtually endless.
    99%er

The motor selection is not totally endless though. Can't really enjoy the benifits of a low turn brushed motor, the transmission gearing won't permit it. So a 13 or 14 turn motor is the lower limit.

Quote Originally Posted by NWDave
    The motor selection is not totally endless though. Can't really enjoy the benifits of a low turn brushed motor, the transmission gearing won't permit it. So a 13 or 14 turn motor is the lower limit.
    Hence the term "virtually." You could certianly upgrade your tranny ( why does that sound like something Rikki Lake woulda covered on her show) and really increase the possibilities, but a new ESC will dramatically increase the number of options you have.
    99%er

RC Champion
    Wow... I'm surprised the Mamba hasn't been brought up yet.

Anyway, as far as brushed motors go, the Orions are good motors (from what I have heard), but, like someone said earlier, the Titan is a good motor as well.
    "Life's as extreme as you wanna make it."

So, TAT2, since there virtually isn't any, what tranny upgrades are you talking about?

A new ESC would be good, I run 3 Dynamite Tazers, and they work well.

With a brushed motor, a guy could gear as low as 12/90 (even 12/93 without running a dust cover), and run a good 13 or 14 turn double wind motor with the stock sized tires. 'Pedes are just too heavy, in overall weight for the transmission gearing. That, and the increased rotating mass of the large tires precludes the use of a race bred low turn motor meant for small tired stadium truck or buggy.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the replys everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by NWDave
    So, TAT2, since there virtually isn't any, what tranny upgrades are you talking about?
    Internal gear ratios--not just pinion and spur combinations, but actually playing with different gearing combinations inside the tranny.
    99%er

Traxxas Marshal
    How can you do that? If you use larger or smaller gears in the tranny, then they won't mesh...

Like I said, it's not possible, they don't make any different internal gear combos, factory or aftermarket.... This topic of running a low turn mod motor has been plowed in the sand before. If you want a race truck capable of handling a low turn motor, buy a Losi or an Associated. But of course, you'd have to run whimpy low profile stadium truck tires, and you'd loose the coolness of a monster truck.

Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool
    How can you do that? If you use larger or smaller gears in the tranny, then they won't mesh...
    That's why CNC machines come in so handy. If you're skilled enough, you can make just about anything you want--NWDave.
    Last edited by TAT2; 04-23-2007 at 02:05 PM.
    99%er