RC Qualifier

how lean do you go

i got blue thunder race fuel and i was wondering how lean some of you go and still have good temps. got M.S.filter , blue tuned pipe.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Tune by how the engine runs and sounds, not solely by temperature. If your engine is running good, but hot, you can increase cooling by cutting out openings in the body to allow air to flow freely over the cooling head. If this doesn't reduce temps enough, you just richen up the HSN a little until the temp falls within acceptable limits.

It also works the other way in cold weather. If the engine has a good tune, but it is running too cool (less than around 220F), you restrict air flow to allow temperatures to rise to an acceptable level. (however, you do not lean out the mixture to raise the temperature)
    Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

RC Champion
    It's virtually impossible to go lean with blue thunder. I run blue thunder and the leaner I go the more it bogs. It also tends to make your engine run hotter.
    "Q" is for Dr. Tran!

RC Racer
    Blue Thunder is MADE to do that. The castor oil burns off and goes from oil to fuel, and this makes it rich and boggy.

Here is a little snip from the website...

"Blue Thunder Sport Formula is ideal for those who are new to gas cars or for drivers that want maximum protection for their engines. It features a unique additive called ZX-7 that provides over-lean indication protection. When an engine is over-leaned, internal engine temperatures dramatically increase. At these critical temperatures, Blue Thunder Sport Forumla actually changes from a lubricant to a combustible, giving an immediate indication to the driver that the mixture is too lean. On the track, if the engine is over-leaned, the driver willl immediately notice that the car will hesitate during acceleration, indicating that it's time to pull in and richen the mixture. If the engine continues to run at these overly lean settings it will quit before damage to internal engine components occurs."

RC Racer
    Well, he said he is running "Race" not Sport. Dont forget Blue Thunder comes in 3 blends. I run the Race Formula and love it, better then alot of fuels on the market. Ive found that it runs cooler and has better responce then Top Fuel.

These are the "Snips" from the site that you forgot to include, one being what he is running and questioning.

"Blue Thunder Race Formula is specially formulated for competition at the highest levels. Race Formula offers the broadest possible needle setting range and will have your engine "on the pipe" producing race power even at overly rich settings. When you need to peak lean your engine for maximum power and mileage, Race Formula's enhanced- castor lubrication will provide superior protection at these extreme peak lean settings, while preventing over- lean bogging. Only the highest purity AAA castor oil is used. This, in combination with and exclusive synthetic additive, reduces carbon buildup. With such a wide range of tuning options it's little wonder Blue Thunder Race Formula is the fuel more champion nitro racers choose than other."

"Blue Thunders exclusive HP8 Formula has been specifically developed and tested for high-performance big block engines. The Blue Thunder team optimized the 8% castor-enhanced blend in HP8 for competition 1/8-scale vehicles, providing crisp throttle response and explosive acceleration without compromising internal component protection. The reduced oil content also allows the engine to achieve optimum operating temperature faster so you can fine-tune your engine with less warm-up time."
    Check my homepage.

RC Qualifier
    Nice homepage backyardbashers! lol. Mods got ya!
    ♫Laissez les bon temps rouler!♫

I lean mine up till the performance starts to drop or it cuts out then I back it off 1/8th and check the performance. I do this with 1/2 a tank.
    I like to tun my LSN slightly rich (about 4 seconds on the pinch test).

Mainly I do not go for full out performance but slightly richer than that. I am almost at 8 gallons on my 3.3 and my sons 2.5r motor is almost on 11 gallons and that's after rebuilding it once at 6 gallons.

Thanks Traxxas for some good motors!!!!!
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Racer
    They need to keep their hands out of my profile. Or do away with the homepage option all together!
    Check my homepage.

RC Racer
    Ive been running Blue Thunder in all my RC's for years, I have never had any buildup on any of the bearings, and certainly never had any rust.

Ive been into Nitros for 22 years and yet to see any bearings rust from any fuel. Now if you let a engine set for longer then a few weeks without any ARO, sure they will start to rust up. I think your LHS guy has been misled or seen a case of abuse and neglect, thus pointing the finger at a fuel that has no cause or fault in the instance of which he has limited personal knowledge there of. Personal experiance (many, many years of which) says that Blue Thunder Race of the better fuels on the market. Ill take experiance over hearsay everytime.
    Check my homepage.

Quote Originally Posted by backyardbashers
    They need to keep their hands out of my profile. Or do away with the homepage option all together!
    I got back into your profile again. I applied the "No point" option. Please take heed this time.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Racer
    Show me 1 rule posted that says your homepage can be a online forum. If its not alloud the do away with the homepage option and be fair to treating everyone equal!

My profile, is just that MINE, if I want to post my sites link in there and have yet to see where a rule, other then power hungy mods personal opinions, then Im doing no harm. If its just you and your Mods that think my site isnt appropriate, then just remove my account. I dont need the unjust and unfair censorship in my life, this world is too full of that already with all the stupid smoking bans as it is.

My site is a RC forum, mainly made up of Traxxas products and Traxxas lovers, I dont censor anything there, I get enuff of the censorship her to fill my plate.
    Check my homepage.

RC Champion
    Unjust and unfair?

It's their board - there is no such thing as free speech here. You don't like it, don't post.

RC Qualifier
    Backyard Basher, why are you even here?

This is in your additional info...
    Date of Birth:
    January 4, 1974
    Biography:
    Want a real RC, buy a HPI or OFNA!
    Interests:
    Savage Rules
    HPI, Ofna are the only RC's that can take the abuse.
    ♫Laissez les bon temps rouler!♫

RC poster
    Ive been running Blue Thunder in all my RC's for years, I have never had any buildup on any of the bearings, and certainly never had any rust.

Ive been into Nitros for 22 years and yet to see any bearings rust from any fuel. Now if you let a engine set for longer then a few weeks without any ARO, sure they will start to rust up. I think your LHS guy has been misled or seen a case of abuse and neglect, thus pointing the finger at a fuel that has no cause or fault in the instance of which he has limited personal knowledge there of. Personal experiance (many, many years of which) says that Blue Thunder Race of the better fuels on the market. Ill take experiance over hearsay everytime.
    Jatobuilder has been using Blue Thunder race formula #1 and I have no complaints what so ever, easy tuning for my 3.3, cool running on hot days, temp sensitive, How can ya go wrong? 0 to 70 in 4.9 Sec. Works for me! Woops looks like a little tension, Guess I'll come back when its fun again, didnt meen to interupt U fellas!!
    Last edited by Jatobuilder; 05-03-2007 at 08:38 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Show me 1 rule posted that says your homepage can be a online forum. If its not alloud the do away with the homepage option and be fair to treating everyone equal!

My profile, is just that MINE, if I want to post my sites link in there and have yet to see where a rule, other then power hungy mods personal opinions, then Im doing no harm. If its just you and your Mods that think my site isnt appropriate, then just remove my account. I dont need the unjust and unfair censorship in my life, this world is too full of that already with all the stupid smoking bans as it is.

My site is a RC forum, mainly made up of Traxxas products and Traxxas lovers, I dont censor anything there, I get enuff of the censorship her to fill my plate.
    It is common sense to me that linking to your "uncensored" forum is linking to a site that Traxxas deems inappropriate because of the "uncensored' content. (Yes, there is a rule against that sparky!) Traxxas does not allow profanity on their own site, so why do you think they would allow you to proudly proclaim you run an uncensored forum, and then link to it? So if I join your forum, and then populate every field in my profile with remarks that whine and complain about your forum, you will not go in as an administrator and change my profile or ban me? I doubt you would show the restraint that the mods and admins have shown by not just banning you after you had changed your profile the second time.
    Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

Sigh. So much for trying with the "no point" option. That warning fell on very deaf ears.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Racer
    Its ok, Nitro Pigeon... Not all of us are boneheads.

RC poster
    OK, Jatobuilder has used Blue thunder race formula #1 since day one 8 months ago in my 3.3 Love it too. Same engine havent rebuilt it and its still as strong if not stronger that it was. My glow plugs tend to last a lot longer too. BUT if I was going to race hard core I would use Traxxas 33 percent, its got one JATO of a punch.
    Two strokes for fast folks!!!!!!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jatobuilder
    OK, Jatobuilder has used Blue thunder race formula #1 since day one 8 months ago in my 3.3 Love it too. Same engine haven't rebuilt it and its still as strong if not stronger that it was. My glow plugs tend to last a lot longer too. BUT if I was going to race hard core I would use Traxxas 33 percent, its got one JATO of a punch.
    I think you may have a personality problem!!!

When referring to ourself people commonly use I

Nitro pigeon?????Thought that was Nitro Chicken!!!!!

Jack of all trades,master of none!!!!!