RC Racer

Getting Back into the Hobby...Need Help

So I lost hope in my revo after becoming obessed with modding it and the engine evtually failing. So the whole revo has been restored to stock. Except the Following:

Engine (It's dead I need a new one...I was thinking of trading up to the 3.3 but I want an engine that wont require alot of maintenance or one that is finicky.)

Steering Servo (Single - works fine but it is a little weak. I'll keep it.)

Pipe/Header (Mine are no good - Need new ones. ANy suggestions?)

I think that's about it, I have bowties with dish wheels but I will keep those. I also have FOC and that is fine also.

Thanks for any help.

P.S. The lower the price the better.

RC Champion
    os 18 tm cheap really easy to tune and will run forever.........not really but it will run good for a long time

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I would go with a 3.3 its got awesome power,can be a little tricky to tune but its worth it.As for a pipe I would go with the resonator and get a o.s. header,these three things would be a great combination of power.This is what I run and am very happy with it!!The 3.3 and the o.s. are the same price,just to let you know.
    Last edited by jaguar2803; 04-24-2007 at 09:54 PM.
    About 50mph,Over $1000,very far,Nitro,No you cant!

RC Qualifier
    If you got to buy a new motor, I would go with the OS .18 more low end power. Nothing wrong with a Traxxas motor, I just hear the OS motors are better.
    I'll miss you Jato :(

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    o.s. has made engines for 71 years you cant go wrong
    the 3.3 have there problems such as elsploding and overheating lol
    65mph n rusty 13 more mph to go :)

RC Qualifier
    Get an os.18 I have the eb modded version but I hear the regular os is pretty good. Get a trinity pipe, it is loud but it is the best pipe I've ever had.

RC Champion
    Engine (It's dead I need a new one...I was thinking of trading up to the 3.3 but I want an engine that wont require alot of maintenance or one that is finicky.)
    I am not sure if there is such a thing...

OS will not offer any support for thier engines if you have any problems and they do not come with any warrantes.

Traxxas on the other hand does. You can be talking to a tech in about 5 min's.

Both are reliable engine, but the support of Traxxas out weighs any "claimed" preformance gains you my obtain with the OS.

RC Racer
    actually the non modded OS engines do come with a 2 year warrenty, it says so right in the manuel

Quote Originally Posted by nitrorea
    ...OS will not offer any support for thier engines if you have any problems and they do not come with any warrantes...
    While I agree that Traxxas has some of the best product support on the planet please do not bash on another company and tell blatant lies.

O.S. Tech Support

And as far as I know all of their engines come with a 2 year warranty.

As for the OP, I would suggest the 3.3 as I have herd great things about tuneability and performance. This is going to be my next engine for sure. It would be my current engine but I didnt hear about the 3.3 until the day I received my brand new 2.5r.

RC Racer
    so i think i am going to go with the oS 18TM....and i am trying to decide on either the Resonator or the trinity pipe...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    yes the o.s. suport is good and all there engines accpet modded ones come with warantees
    65mph n rusty 13 more mph to go :)

I cant say anything about the resonator but I know the Trinity is LOUD and really opens up the 2.5 in my Revo. Im happy with mine for sure.

RC Champion
    Engine: O.S .18 TM or the EB Modded O.S .18 TM

Pipe/Header:Trinity Pipe(comes with header) or THS Pipe(comes with header) or Resonator(use stock header)
    2.5 Crankcase w/ Bearings-$18 Shipped!

RC Racer
    Lost somewhere in a cornfield of Illinois!
    At this point, I have the stock 2.5r and my OS.18 TM sitting in my tool box and am running the 3.3. I also have the Resonator (just purchased) and it really opened the power band up on the 3.3 and can easily pull the front wheels off the ground. My humble opinion is the .18 and the 3.3 are very close with each other and you would be happy with both. The .18 does have more bottom end to it and the 3.3 is more mid to high end, but the Resonator pipe helpes the low end a lot.

As for tunability, well the nature of Nitro is everytime you take it out you will need to tune for weather and such, but the .18 was a bit less touchy. In my eyes the 3.3 is just a stronger engine than my .18, but then I have the TM version for the direct drop in, I think the TZ has more power but you need to mod it to fit. I will leave it up to the community here to correct me on that one.

Hope this helps
    Life is like a bubble bath.....The longer you stay in, the more wrinkled you get! - Garfield the cat