RC Enthusiast

new to nitro need help

Hello im new to nitro rc cars. I recently bought a jato 3.3. I can get it started but when i give it gas it doesnt move.

RC Racer
    If I'm not mistaken (new here as well) tighten the slipper clutch a little, and don't ask how much since I wouldn't know, I just know someone had that same problem and that fixed it for him.

P.S. is slipper clutch the right name for it?

RC Qualifier
    Could be a bunch of things. When you give it gas.....

Is the engine revving? (if not, probably throttle linkage/servo)
    Does the pinion/spur gear move? (if not, probably worn clutch shoes)
    Do the driveshafts move? (if not, probably stripped tranny)

Trace it from the engine, to the clutchbell, spur, tranny, driveshafts, & wheels. It's gotta be one of those, but check in that order so you don't miss anything.
    CrazyNut,1-ch pipe,polished header,CVDs,5625MG,6v

RC Competitor
    If the car is new the engine is usually so tight you have to get it pretty hot for it to be able to move the piston. Maybe try re-heating with heat gun or hair dryer.
    ;-}RevoOS18/Jato3.3/SpektrumDX3/muchmuch more

RC Qualifier
    Good call, Soldaun. Slipper clutch should be 1/2 to 3/4 turn from all the way tight. Tighten all the way, then loosen 3/4 turn and it should be good.

RC Enthusiast
    its brand new

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcticfire
    its brand new

then no doubt it's due to the fact that the piston is still really tight inside the engine...to loosen it up so you can start it, take the glow plug out and grab a hairdryer or heat gun as already said, and heat that head for a good 10 minutes..then put the plug back in, and you should be good to go...you need to get it really hot for the chamber to expand enough for the engine to turn over...after that, it will get easier to start every time.

it'll take about a quart before it really loosens up enough to get over 65 though.

RC Qualifier
    Hello im new to nitro rc cars. I recently bought a jato 3.3. I can get it started but when i give it gas it doesnt move.
    C'mon guys. He already said he can get it started. Focus on the problem, not the last post.

RC Enthusiast
    ok ill adjust the slipper clutch and see if it fixes it

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by superfly13_69
    C'mon guys. He already said he can get it started. Focus on the problem, not the last post.

dude... if the piston is that tight, sometimes it dosen't move very well in the beginnning...he can tighten the slipper so it shows 3 1/2 to 4 threads showing, but until that piston is getting some room in the head, i've seen 3.3's struggle to move....he just needs to continue with the break in process as stated in the manual...

he can always call 1-888-traxxas tomorrow during business hours to confirm it with a tech representative.

RC Enthusiast
    I just tightened the slipper clutch, and it goes really slow when i give it 3/4 throttle.

RC Qualifier
    Personally I don't see how a tight piston has anything to do with an engine that is already running. Slow acceleration is about all you got going for you there, which doesn't seem to be the reported problem. But hey, I'm just a guy with nothing better to do than to check these posts.

RC Champion
    I just tightened the slipper clutch, and it goes really slow when i give it 3/4 throttle.

that's because of the tight piston....continue to break it in exactly as traxxas stated in the dvd and manual....it will loosen up after break in and will really wake up after about 10 tanks and will be insane fast after about a quart.

RC Enthusiast
    I dont really understand either but im new to nitro rc. I would think that a stuck piston would mean that it wouldnt start, but ill try and break it in tomorrow if the weather permits.

RC Champion
    It's not stuck...it's tight......big difference...I've got 3 of these trucks, and have run 3.3's the whole time they have been out..i know these engines.

but if it makes you feel better call traxxas tomorrow.

RC Champion
    lots of people have said that a new 3.3 (first 1-3 tanks) i might not do much.just keep doing the break in reccomended in the manual ( throttle for 2 seconds or something like that for the first tank). so don't go to 3/4 throttle yet. even if it looks stupid sitting on the floor not doing much just keep doing it, it will very quickly start go get power. after about 20 tanks is when it starts getting very high performance (wheelies and stuff like that).