RC Racer

expensive weekend

So, I try to fire up the 3.3 and she won't go. Turns for a while, fires, but won't run. Then the easy start won't turn the engine over. I wanted to replace the easy start anyway, so I removed the engine. I noticed the spur gear was missing a few teeth, so I removed it too. Then I notice my trx 3.3 is rattling. Trash can time. So I reinstall my trx 2.5 with the new head gasket, and she runs good.
    Then, off she goes! No controll at all. Full speed into a wall. I got to the wreckage and unhooked the fuel line, but probably ruined that engine too, based on the high volume whining I heard and the smoke comming off the cooling head.
    Bent or broke nearly everything in the front end.
    What would cause the runaway? Batteries were ok.

RC Racer
    Runaway = loss of signal

Could be batteries
    Could be other RF interference.

A $10-$15 failsafe is your friend!

RC Qualifier
    Yup a failsafe would have saved you all that money in collision damage

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    + 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000 on the failsafe and throttle return spring!!!!
    Jack of all trades,master of none!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Ya a failsafe or a Spektrum radio system

RC Racer
    The throttle started reving like someone was gunning it, and then took off full speed. Fortunatly it went up a very steep hill just before hitting the block wall, so it was slowed down a bit. Plus, it was in grass, not on hardpan!
    I really didn't want to rebuild the thing right now, but I have little choice! Now I have to decide wheather to rebuild the 3.3 or get another one. 130 through Traxxas is too much, and I am not sure I can rebuild it myself. Interestingly, the sleeve came out with the cooling head. I didn't try to seperate them yet, but they must have gotten pretty warm.
    I probly ran a gallon of fuel thru that motor.