RC Enthusiast

more problems with the "money pit"

As you could probably tell by the title, the wife has named my maxx
    Well, earlier, I had a pretty good crash and broke a few parts, got replacements and fixed all that. Did learn one lesson though, go ahead and tear it down to make sure of what all is broke before ordering new parts
    But anyway, on to my newest problem. Had the maxx at work the other day playing during break time and all was good until after about 5-10 minutes of playing in the parking lot, it took off(luckily not wot) and would not respond to me at all. Luckily, it just went across the lot, through a ditch and up a steep bank where it stalled and died. So, I figure its time for new batteries in the receiver. Get home, put in new batteries and its still not acting quite right, the servos were all kind of twitching and looking like they were having seizures or something. Jump online here and do a search, found some threads talking about wires being bare and touching metal causing this sort of thing, so start tracing wires. Sure enough, found a wire with a place in it, so patched that up. Put everything back together and cut receiver and radio on, everything acts just like its supposed to. Get the truck started up, and drive around a little tuning some more. Now I'm starting to see when I go wot, and then let off, it is sort of a delay in the truck actually letting off. It almost ran off on me again, but luckily it responded to the radio and braked. Get to checking things out, moving the throttle with the truck not running and notice the linkage binding and not letting the carb close. Loosened the screw just a touch on the bellcrank and everything seemed fine.
    Now, everything works fine while the truck is not running, but after cranking it and giving just a little throttle, it wants to take off wide open and won't respond to the radio.
    I'm thinking of replacing the receiver anyway, because when I opened the receiver box and pulled it out, it is cracked on one end and the board inside of it is wrapped in electrical tape(oh the joys of buying something used when you don't really know anything about it). So, the question is, will this help or is there something else to look for?
    I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am

RC Racer
    as soon as you said receiver wrapped in electrical tape, its over, get a new receiver, who knows what kind of patch work could have been done!

-Sawm-
    Bash It Till Ya Break It!

RC Champion
    New reciever for you would be the best bet. Also look at new crystals, you never know. Check on ebay, you might find one pulled out of a new truck with the same crystal you are on now.
    When all else fails....10lb sledge hammer.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    +3 on changing the receiver!!

Click!!!
    Jack of all trades,master of none!!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys for the quick responses. So, the receiver is definitely getting replaced and I'm also thinking of adding a failsafe. Which one should I get?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

RC Enthusiast
    Why does it say on the description of the duratrax failsafe not to use with alkaline batteries?

RC Qualifier
    My guess is that if a AA battery gets dislodged there is nothing to power the failsafe but a hump pack just gets plugged in.
    T-Maxx 3.3 w/ FOC & Resonator
    Nitro Rustler 2.5r

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think its because alkaline has a non- linear voltage drop!!!

Meaning that the voltage does not decrease step by step but as soon as the batts are empty(Of power!) the voltage just falls!!So the failsafe won't work!!

AA batts in the box won't get dislodged!!!
    Last edited by speedymaxx; 06-25-2007 at 09:16 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Because the cut off voltage is like 4.7 volts ,and batteries are 4.8 volts in a few seconds with some draw.
    Tmaxx 2.5 now with 3.3 motor and trans,FLM Chassis, TI22 wheels,fantom pipe,big bore shocks,MIP cvds,OFNA wing mount and wing,and ballistic 2500 mAh pack.

RC Enthusiast
    Oh great, more money to spend on a battery pack!! SHHHH, don't tell the wife

RC Qualifier
    Actually I saw it happen with the battery coming dislodged in the battery box. It was after 2 rc's crashed in a field one took off out of control right towards the Deleware River and it flipped when the asphalt dropped down to grass. It was about 10 yards from being in the current. The guy opens the battery box and the battery wasnt out just sitting in it on and angle toward the top.
    T-Maxx 3.3 w/ FOC & Resonator
    Nitro Rustler 2.5r

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    After a crash yes!!!

But not under normal use!!!