RC poster

Question new engine for my jato

i need to know if i can fit a O.S. .21 VZ-B on my jato and if i can what would be better for it the O.S. .21 VZ-B or just a TRX 3.3

the os.21 ia way faster than a 3.3...
    3.3's compare with the tm's and tz's of their popular .18 series engines. the .21 is very new and will fit in your truck. Plus its tooo powerful for the tranny so it will still last a lil while..
    dont get me wrong, the 3.3 is a fasttt engine but the .21 has alot of hp and its basics hp and dynos.. (Which isnt always everything) but you either have the power or you dont..
    the 3.3 is a .20 and the os engines(tm and tz) are .18 but still cranked out more hp on the dyno on an upcoming edition of rcca..
    Just curious here..
    What engine do you have currently?
    Learn by doing

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    what is the hp of the 3.3?
    No more money for rc trucks I got 1:1 truck

RC Racer
    your going to need metal tranny gears made by a machinest for the .21 to not completely shred gears =]
    2.5 Race JATO
    2.5 Rustler
    SpektrumDX2

RC poster
    i have a 3.3 but im looking up to geting some thing a bit more faster so do you thing should go to the .18 and thanks for all your help guys }

no. the os .21 wont shread any gears!! thats why i recommend it. it wont rip em up!! i knoe first hand! the other engines do though.
    have u ever had the OS .21??
    Learn by doing

RC Competitor
    I would go with the 3.3 to save the tranny and if you want more power mod the motor enough said.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    go with the 3.3
    No more money for rc trucks I got 1:1 truck

RC Racer
    the 0s.18 is not a traxxas item why is this motmr even being let on the fourms...the 3.3 is a faster & stronger motor and will take the stress the mighty jato puts out ,[stress test] small block connecting rod will only last so long ,big block 3.3 traxxas motor was put in the jato for this reason power and sick speed traxxas not os.

RC poster
    well, my traxxas 3.3 cracked the case on the first day out... traxxas said it was a faulty part.. traxxas definatly has GREAT customer service when dealing with returned items.. but, as great s it is, i dont like the idea of sending it in all the time, so i bought the os .18, broke it in and MAN what a great little motor. it has an awsome power band that is actually extremely user friendly and not quite so explosive. I had reservations about buying it because it was smaller than the 3.3.. but i can tell you know that im completly satisfied with it and i believe that it is just as fast if not faster than the 3.3 IM MY OWN OPINION

RC Champion
    the trans. gears will break regardless even with a 2.5 i have broken 1st and 2nd gears with a 2.5 a 3.3 and OS18 TM's even with the slipper loose. inside the trans. you have metal gears that mate to plastic gears, you can lube them with grease as in the instructions but it is only a matter of time before you will break something. of course the more powerfull the engine the more often it will happen. i use my jato'sonroad only, maybe on dirt or grass it will not happen as much i do not know.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00blackss
    well, my traxxas 3.3 cracked the case on the first day out... traxxas said it was a faulty part.. traxxas definatly has GREAT customer service when dealing with returned items.. but, as great s it is, i dont like the idea of sending it in all the time, so i bought the os .18, broke it in and MAN what a great little motor. it has an awsome power band that is actually extremely user friendly and not quite so explosive. I had reservations about buying it because it was smaller than the 3.3.. but i can tell you know that im completly satisfied with it and i believe that it is just as fast if not faster than the 3.3 IM MY OWN OPINION
    According to your "blown engine" post, your engine let loose at the 5th tank of break-in. So it sounds like you were probably revving that nice new engine a little too much and blew it up. Nobody can develop such a definitive opinion on an engine within the first five tanks. But that is just IN MY OWN OPINION.

I own a few O.S. 18's (18TM and 18CV-R) and a few TRX 3.3's. There is no doubt in my mind that the 3.3 has more power overall than the TM and the difference is even greater when compared to the CV-R. All of them are easy to tune and reliable.

This thread is amazing. Nobody has even pointed out the fact that the O.S. .21VZ-B is a big block engine and will not fit in a Jato yet some claim to have firsthand knowledge. LOL
    Last edited by arceeguy; 08-04-2007 at 10:37 PM.
    Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

RC Qualifier
    lol bill the jato "doesnt create power" the engine does...

so I dont understand y you said "thats y traxxas put the 3.3 in to handle the jatos extreme power" ??
    btw 3.3 is a SB...

& jato u need BB conversion kit 4 the .21
    2- 2.5Tmaxx Jato2.5R Vintage: Bullet, Hawk, N-Hawk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by arceeguy
    According to your "blown engine" post, your engine let loose at the 5th tank of break-in. So it sounds like you were probably revving that nice new engine a little too much and blew it up. Nobody can develop such a definitive opinion on an engine within the first five tanks. But that is just IN MY OWN OPINION.

I own a few O.S. 18's (18TM and 18CV-R) and a few TRX 3.3's. There is no doubt in my mind that the 3.3 has more power overall than the TM and the difference is even greater when compared to the CV-R. All of them are easy to tune and reliable.

This thread is amazing. Nobody has even pointed out the fact that the O.S. .21VZ-B is a big block engine and will not fit in a Jato yet some claim to have firsthand knowledge. LOL
    according to traxxas, it was a bad case, and they are sending me new one for free.... which will get tossed on my shelf in the garrage...

You shouldnt assume so much, if you actaully read my post on the motor, i said i FOLLOWED THE BREAK IN INSTRUCTIONS TO A T .... here is a few bits of advice for you....

1. learn to read what is written and not read INTO what is written..
    2. stop trying to convince everyone that traxxas made items are better than everything else just because you have al ittle bit of admin power on their hosted site.. you say you have 20 years experience and have owned your shop... then you know that there is better equipment than traxxas ... am i wrong?
    3. you just assume that because you have "20 years experience" which you continue to throw out there that everyone one else is less ineligent or their opinion is less important than your... guess wht dude.. im probably older than you... i build real cars and serve in the military... im no child, so stop talking to me as though i am one....

thank you..

RC Champion
    I also would go with a 3.3 but if you set on a .21, wait for the O.S. .21TM to start selling around here and you'll save yourself the trouble of trying to fit a big block in your truck.
    Revo.27TX/Jato.18/Maxx523/Maxx3.3/GMAXX/Rusty/ERBE

RC Qualifier
    I run an O.S. .18TZ and ive gotta say, i love it, it holds tune perfectly, pulls with similar power to a big block, and has loads of top end. Not trying to knock off traxxas because they came up with the wonderful little stadium truck called the Jato! With engines its just everybodys own preference and opinion really just like hop ups; some people like aluminium, some dont, some like integy, some dont.

I think the reason people were recommending the O.S. .21 VZ-B is because there was a guy in the Revo forum got an O.S. .21TM from Australia which is a direct fit.
    Last edited by Jato360; 08-05-2007 at 03:04 AM.
    O.S .18TZ Powered Jato
    Simple as.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00blackss
    according to traxxas, it was a bad case, and they are sending me new one for free.... which will get tossed on my shelf in the garrage...

WOW - that's fast service! You posted your blown engine on Thursday 8/2, and today is Sunday, 8/5 and Traxxas has already received it inspected it and contacted you with their decision even though they have been closed the past two days.

You shouldnt assume so much, if you actaully read my post on the motor, i said i FOLLOWED THE BREAK IN INSTRUCTIONS TO A T .... here is a few bits of advice for you....

1. learn to read what is written and not read INTO what is written..

Sorry, I need to read between the lines when things don't quite add up.

2. stop trying to convince everyone that traxxas made items are better than everything else just because you have al ittle bit of admin power on their hosted site.. you say you have 20 years experience and have owned your shop... then you know that there is better equipment than traxxas ... am i wrong?

Yes, you are wrong. I am not trying to convince everyone that Traxxas items are better than everything else - now YOU are reading INTO what is written. Here ya go, just read this thread where *omigosh* I tell someone the advantages of buying an O.S. 18CV-R for his particular situation. Part of my job here is to prevent the spreading of bad information. When people claim things like brandX is better quality than Traxxas, or engineX is easier to tune - I will post the correct information. If engineX happens to be more powerful than the Traxxas, you won't hear a peep out of me.

3. you just assume that because you have "20 years experience" which you continue to throw out there that everyone one else is less ineligent or their opinion is less important than your... guess wht dude.. im probably older than you... i build real cars and serve in the military... im no child, so stop talking to me as though i am one....

There you go again, doing what you accuse me of. (reading INTO things) Your age, military background, "real car" experience mean nothing to me here because they are all irrelevant to this hobby. For all you know, I served in the military or built cars from the frame up. Why would I mention this in a RC thread? My experience in the hobby and shop ownership are relevant and mentioned to let people know that I've had experience with hundreds of engines of many different brands. It is not being mentioned to suggest that everyone else is less intelligent. Sorry you took it that way. You are being "talked to" this way because your posting history raises a few eyebrows. Here's why:

1: Join forum and first thread is "1 day old Jato, MOTOR BROKE", most all other posts have negative comments about Traxxas engines.

2: In above thread, say that the Jato is you first nitro truck but in the next breath ask if a "better motor" like a Picco can be fitted. Yes, I am reading into things but if this is your first nitro truck, how can someone already have the opinion that Picco is a better motor?

3: In same thread, post that the failure of the Traxxas engine was "probably the best thing that could of happend, cause i now have a better motor in the OS .18... much more reliable" Once again, your opinion was formed in a very short period of time. The posts were about 1 day apart, a short amount of time to develop such a strong opinion against the Traxxas engine.

4: And now this post, where you've shipped the engine back to Traxxas on the 2nd of the month and they have received it, inspected it, and contacted you about it by the close of business the next day. I know that Traxxas has fast service, but one day is extraordinary!

5: You also stated that "i can tell you know that im completly satisfied with it and i believe that it is just as fast if not faster than the 3.3" Since you never got past the 5th tank of break-in with the 3.3, you never got a chance to tune it for power to find out what it can really do. And if you did, you weren't following the instructions "to a T" and then this was the obvious cause of the premature failure.

thank you..
    See my comments is blue above.

You have to admit that if you were in my position, you'd be just as suspicious. Doesn't the military train you to use every available resource when assessing a situation? In this case, all I have to go by is your very short posting history here on the boards. If you had been a regular poster for a few weeks, and the timelines made more sense, you probably wouldn't have heard a peep out of me.

We are all guests here in their house, it is common sense that you don't disrespect the host. If you have any questions or comments, please contact me via PM.
    Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?