RC Champion

Building a track

I'm doing just what the title says! I'll try to get pics tomorrow it's across the road from my house in an old farmers field we own. The dirt is hard, clumpy, and rocky, but I will make it work!!
    RC enthusiast!

RC Qualifier
    go with a tiller on it and till up the dirt very good. and also go with a tractor or something with a front end loader and make gaps, ramps, mounds, straight aways.. and stuff like that. post pics up and we will wish that we would be doing the same thing lol.

go to a beach and get some sand... that would make sum really good dirt once u mix it with the dirt u already have.
    the mods have it in for me!!!!

Traxxas Marshal
    Tractor? You'll do better work if you do it by hand. Trust me. I built my track almost totally by hand regardless of the fact that we have a diesel tractor with a front end loader and york rake. I only used that to bring a few buckets of dirt in this year. But other than that, I used the old fashioned shovel and rake. Also my feet. I tamped every jump down by foot. This works very well. I am much better at it now that I have done it a few times... the little double I built this year is real solid!

Good luck! Tracks are a blast!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    yea but he sed the dirt is really hard and clumpy.. this is jus me i guess b/c i rather do things the easy way. not the hard way! that is the main reason why they make tractors.. so we dont have to break our back morning and night like our great grandparents did in the early 1900's.

Traxxas Marshal
    You get more satisfaction out of a job well done... especially if you put some hard work and sweat into it.

RC Champion
    Having built my track, twice, both ways are required. We moved approximately 275 tons of dirt around on mine. I own a dump truck and a backhoe and believe me, we used the backhoe AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE! That said, all the finish work was done by hand. Rakes and shovels etc. Hard work and sweat was not an option! It has all been worth it though and we are already making plans to redo it at the end of the season. Maintenance is almost as hard as the initial building! Grass will grow on it overnight and dirt always needs repositioning. It is a lot of work!

GD
    To err is human, to arr is pirate!

Traxxas Marshal
    I don't blame you for using a tractor... your track's quite large!

As for the work afterwords... yup... I spend a lot of time out reraking, reshaping, etc... But driving on it's fun, so it's no biggie.

RC Champion
    Oh, I agree that is is all worth it! I hope I did not sound like I regretted anything! Driving on it is a blast and will only be more fun when we get more drivers!

GD

RC Champion
    Ya I'm using a simplicity tiller, then I'm going to rake all the clumpy stuff and grass off it so it's smooth. I'll use the bad dirt and bank a turn/ make a jump.
    RC enthusiast!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sounds great. Be sure to post some pics if you can!!

RC Champion
    Cool, I probally won't ever get a track, and the closest track is one and a half hours away!
    "I told you a million times not to exaggerate!"

RC Qualifier
    when we get our land (5.22 acres) i will prolly build sumthing on it... so get ready guys

RC Qualifier
    if you use a tractor with a 3 piont hitch, you can rent a bigg tiller for it. i have two kubotas. they are great but, i did a lot of my buddies track building with rake,spade,shovel. i also own a plate tamper too. i did my in the eazy way. i have a carpet track!!!!! only mantice is vacing off before i play.
    jato fixed for a day or so

RC Qualifier
    ooooooo and i do have 13.4 acres. and a bigg grage. 50x50!!!!!!!!! the hole up staris is track,pit and train room.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 bad rc er
    only mantice is vacing off before i play.
    Sounds like something out of starwars

What do you have to do before you use it??

RC Champion
    Well I got the front strait and pit area raked! What I was planning on doing was raking it to the side then shoveling it up, but there is a ton of dirt and it actually works good as a track liner.
    RC enthusiast!

RC Qualifier
    lol, my track got too samll for my bl, so im gonna build one in the fall when my forest is dead

RC Champion
    Be sure not to do it tto late or you won't have much time to run before the snow comes!
    RC enthusiast!

RC Champion
    Update, I have over 3/4th of it raked! One of the turns I made really wide (not purposely) so i made it like a dirt bike track. If you take the inside line there is a ramp you hit. the slower outside line is completely flat. this will make racing interesting!
    RC enthusiast!

wheres all the pictures?? lets see the progress we might be able to give some sugestions

RC Champion
    I'll try to get pics soon, but it's done! My dad took our snow blower and dropped the blade to scrap all the bumps down. It's perfectly flat! I have a double jump on one strait. I also got some pvc pipe for free and used it to separate the pits from the main strait.
    RC enthusiast!

RC Champion
    Well it's been something like 2 months, but when I was racing on my track the other day I thought to myself "hmmm, did I ever put pics of my track on that thread?". Here you go!!!

[IMG]http:/http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l48/rustlerbasher/?action=view&current=IMG_1759.jpg[/IMG]

RC enthusiast!

RC Champion
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, I'll try again.

There,that's better!
    RC enthusiast!

RC Champion
    No cooleo it'll be better if he does most of it with tractor and some by hand.That's what we did at our last house.

RC Champion
    I did all that will a tiller.
    RC enthusiast!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. bashin Maxxer15's Avatar
    Nice looking track! Well done!
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

RC Champion
    Looks great! We plan on doing some much needed maintenance to ours next weekend. Weeds are brutal.....

GD

RC Champion
    Ya litteraly 2 weeks ago the entire track was green with weeds, so I went through like 2 gallons of weed killer! That's why there is clumpy stuff on the track. It's kindof funny because the double jump looks alot smaller than it really is in the pictures.
    RC enthusiast!

RC Champion
    Yeah, we have almost no rain to speak of here. Grass is dead in the yard but stupid weeds just grow and grow on the track...

GD

RC Champion
    It's amazing how that happens! That ground I made the track on is extremely dry and cracked.
    RC enthusiast!

RC Champion
    my friends and i cant make a track... they get distryed by stupid people on there 50's......... we spent like 1:30 minutes perfecting this 1 jump and a burm........ we went back like 2 days later and it was distroyed
    Spur gear stripping king..... :D

RC Qualifier
    man great job. falkon that has to stink. I still love my track.

RC Racer
    i built a awesome track in my backyard and it was so much fun to ride at with my friends. But then i ended up moving like 2 months later.
    XL-5 Rustly with Team Orion Motor

RC Champion
    Wow, that would stink! Thanks for the compliments guys. It's not in the pics, but I use a foldable metal drywalling stand as a drivers stand by the pits.
    RC enthusiast!

RC Champion
    cool......
    "As you think, so shall you become." -Bruce Lee