Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    hamilton On, CA
    Posts
    77

    Battery and charger n00b

    hey guys just looking at tsome of the batteries and charger iv been told to get a dynamite charger and a duratrax pirahanna battery but does the mAh matter for the batteries (ez start) i ovi wanna go the cheapest its 1600mAh is that fine if not can you please give me some options on chargers (that dont over charge) and a good battery

    thanks in advance
    Last edited by dunkinmonkey; 08-27-2007 at 06:42 PM.
    savin for the t-maxx woop woop

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    peoria, arizona
    Posts
    528
    how come only 50 charracters?

  3. #3
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    hamilton On, CA
    Posts
    77
    so the mAh has no affect on the ez start whats the diff from all the mAh im so lost lol
    savin for the t-maxx woop woop

  4. #4
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,323
    The more mAh the longer the charge will last, so for instance a 2000mAh will theoretically last 33% longer on a charge than a 1500mAh battery. I use a 1500mAh Duratrax Shark battery for my EZstart and it works fine.
    Last edited by RobWilJas; 08-27-2007 at 06:56 PM.

  5. #5
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    hamilton On, CA
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by RobWilJas
    The more mAh the longer the charge will last, so for instance a 2000mAh will theoretically last 33% longer on a charge than a 1500mAh battery. I use a 1500mAh Duratrax Shark battery for my EZstart and it works fine.
    sweet thanx alot what charger do you use
    savin for the t-maxx woop woop

  6. #6
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Canada, Quebec
    Posts
    215
    well.. here is my experience with the chargers, since i came into that hobby i have had alot of chargers of different type lets say 4 "main" chargers and a big lots of wall chargers for all kind of battary pack, probly 250$ worth of chargers or more. and none of them was able to charge all my packs. from 1 cell (glow plug ignitor, aa, aaa, subc etc), going by the rx, 7.2v pack, and tx(8cells) and things like my helicopter 9cells pack and then there are lipo packs, liion. acid/gel..

    i bought a superbrain 977, and now i cant be much happeir than that, well worth the money and charge just about anything, i would look into something computerized. its like going for and after market tx and buying a cheap non computerized radio at 50$? anyways.. better just buy 1, but a good 1 that will do it all, instead of buy few low costy chargers that always end up "it cant charge my new xxxx x cells pack"

    i bought the super brain 977 because my girlfriend as an e-maxx and she use 2 packs at time + i like the idea to be able to charge 2 battery at the same time, i which i had bought the 977 only, the other chargers was a waste of money. and the 997 come with the ac powersuply, while some other good computerized chargers doesnt come with the ac powersuply and should be bought separetly.

    i would defenitivly look into a computerized charger that can atleast charge lipo pack 2-3s, and 1-8 cell nimh/nicd if money isnt an issue

    here some computerized chargers
    http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMAJ0&P=ML
    http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEYD4&P=ML
    http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHDJ1&P=ML
    http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMAH9&P=ML
    http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLCJ6&P=ML

  7. #7
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Charleston SC
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by RobWilJas
    The more mAh the longer the charge will last, so for instance a 2000mAh will theoretically last 33% longer on a charge than a 1500mAh battery. I use a 1500mAh Duratrax Shark battery for my EZstart and it works fine.

    Same battery here. Along with this charger. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD548&P=ML


    So far has worked fine for me.

  8. #8
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    hamilton On, CA
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel
    well.. here is my experience with the chargers, since i came into that hobby i have had alot of chargers of different type lets say 4 "main" chargers and a big lots of wall chargers for all kind of battary pack, probly 250$ worth of chargers or more. and none of them was able to charge all my packs. from 1 cell (glow plug ignitor, aa, aaa, subc etc), going by the rx, 7.2v pack, and tx(8cells) and things like my helicopter 9cells pack and then there are lipo packs, liion. acid/gel..

    i bought a superbrain 977, and now i cant be much happeir than that, well worth the money and charge just about anything, i would look into something computerized. its like going for and after market tx and buying a cheap non computerized radio at 50$? anyways.. better just buy 1, but a good 1 that will do it all, instead of buy few low costy chargers that always end up "it cant charge my new xxxx x cells pack"

    i bought the super brain 977 because my girlfriend as an e-maxx and she use 2 packs at time + i like the idea to be able to charge 2 battery at the same time, i which i had bought the 977 only, the other chargers was a waste of money. and the 997 come with the ac powersuply, while some other good computerized chargers doesnt come with the ac powersuply and should be bought separetly.

    i would defenitivly look into a computerized charger that can atleast charge lipo pack 2-3s, and 1-8 cell nimh/nicd if money isnt an issue

    here some computerized chargers
    http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMAJ0&P=ML
    http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEYD4&P=ML
    http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHDJ1&P=ML
    http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMAH9&P=ML
    http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLCJ6&P=ML

    thanx for the info now ot of all those charges what is the most user friendly and easy to use
    savin for the t-maxx woop woop

  9. #9
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,323
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel
    well.. here is my experience with the chargers, since i came into that hobby i have had alot of chargers of different type lets say 4 "main" chargers and a big lots of wall chargers for all kind of battary pack, probly 250$ worth of chargers or more. and none of them was able to charge all my packs. from 1 cell (glow plug ignitor, aa, aaa, subc etc), going by the rx, 7.2v pack, and tx(8cells) and things like my helicopter 9cells pack and then there are lipo packs, liion. acid/gel..

    i bought a superbrain 977, and now i cant be much happeir than that, well worth the money and charge just about anything, i would look into something computerized. its like going for and after market tx and buying a cheap non computerized radio at 50$? anyways.. better just buy 1, but a good 1 that will do it all, instead of buy few low costy chargers that always end up "it cant charge my new xxxx x cells pack"

    i bought the super brain 977 because my girlfriend as an e-maxx and she use 2 packs at time + i like the idea to be able to charge 2 battery at the same time, i which i had bought the 977 only, the other chargers was a waste of money. and the 997 come with the ac powersuply, while some other good computerized chargers doesnt come with the ac powersuply and should be bought separetly.

    i would defenitivly look into a computerized charger that can atleast charge lipo pack 2-3s, and 1-8 cell nimh/nicd if money isnt an issue

    here some computerized chargers
    http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMAJ0&P=ML
    http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEYD4&P=ML
    http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHDJ1&P=ML
    http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMAH9&P=ML
    http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLCJ6&P=ML
    Isn't that overkill for the EZstart?

    Quote Originally Posted by jay_99z
    Same battery here. Along with this charger. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD548&P=ML


    So far has worked fine for me.
    That's the same charger I use, works great. I also have the TRX power system charger but don't use it, and I have this charger I take with me when bashing in case my EZstart goes dead. It's really small and works great.
    Last edited by RobWilJas; 08-28-2007 at 02:35 PM.

  10. #10
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Canada, Quebec
    Posts
    215
    well.. lets see what we have so far

    megatech peak 4-8 cells, u cant charge glow plug igniter/1 cell, lipo, ion, acid/gel 45$

    trx power charger, charge 6v and 7.2v packs cant charge tx, glow plug ingiter, lipo, etc 35$

    duratrax piranha AC/DC Peak Power Charger, charge 6-7 cells, cant even charge a rx pack, neither tx, 1cell, lipo and so on, 35$

    DuraTrax Piranha DC Peak Charger NiCd/NiMH, charge 6-7 cells, same story again.... 20$ but then u need a ac adapter like sugested 80$.. now you are 5 buck over the 977 and that still not a computer charger and cant charge anything but 7.2v pack

    now that u have bought all these chargers.. u still cant charge 70% of the packs out there and thats actualy 2x the price of a good computer charger that would actualy be able charge 1cell( for GP ingnitor) and much more

    may look like overkill at first.. but well worth the money when u consider what u can charge with it and how long it will last 5-10 years? mb more.

    little example.. x own a maxx that use an ez start.. but removed the blue wire and use a GP ignitor, now u have to charge a 7.2 pack, the GP ignitor, the rx pack and the tx.. just for these 4 the computer charger will be worth the money.. then now.. add an e-maxx in the futur and so on.. and i use the charger to charge other things than my hobby stuff as well

  11. #11
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In the mountains
    Posts
    1,633
    I somewhat agre with darkangel. A good charger will last and keep up with battery tech. I own a SuperBrain 969, i love it execpt 2 tiny things. Its loud when it charges and when it sits not charging my Ac supply ticks, very annoying when u try and sleep.
    Retired RC'r till funds can be found...:(

  12. #12
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Charleston SC
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel
    well.. lets see what we have so far

    megatech peak 4-8 cells, u cant charge glow plug igniter/1 cell, lipo, ion, acid/gel 45$

    trx power charger, charge 6v and 7.2v packs cant charge tx, glow plug ingiter, lipo, etc 35$

    duratrax piranha AC/DC Peak Power Charger, charge 6-7 cells, cant even charge a rx pack, neither tx, 1cell, lipo and so on, 35$

    DuraTrax Piranha DC Peak Charger NiCd/NiMH, charge 6-7 cells, same story again.... 20$ but then u need a ac adapter like sugested 80$.. now you are 5 buck over the 977 and that still not a computer charger and cant charge anything but 7.2v pack

    now that u have bought all these chargers.. u still cant charge 70% of the packs out there and thats actualy 2x the price of a good computer charger that would actualy be able charge 1cell( for GP ingnitor) and much more

    may look like overkill at first.. but well worth the money when u consider what u can charge with it and how long it will last 5-10 years? mb more.

    little example.. x own a maxx that use an ez start.. but removed the blue wire and use a GP ignitor, now u have to charge a 7.2 pack, the GP ignitor, the rx pack and the tx.. just for these 4 the computer charger will be worth the money.. then now.. add an e-maxx in the futur and so on.. and i use the charger to charge other things than my hobby stuff as well
    Before you get too carried away.....the original poster asked about charger and battery for EZ Start. That's it.


    Not trying to flame but I think many of the options were fine. Some may not have the demands that you do. For instance.....this is way overkill for me http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMAJ0&P=ML

    $125 to charge an EZ Start battery (the only one I need charged right now)? No thanks. Just try to see it from those on the lower end of the hobby.

  13. #13
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,323
    Quote Originally Posted by jay_99z
    Before you get too carried away.....the original poster asked about charger and battery for EZ Start. That's it.


    Not trying to flame but I think many of the options were fine. Some may not have the demands that you do. For instance.....this is way overkill for me http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMAJ0&P=ML

    $125 to charge an EZ Start battery (the only one I need charged right now)? No thanks. Just try to see it from those on the lower end of the hobby.
    I agree..... no need to spend that kind of money to charge an EZstart battery. I have a T-Maxx and E-Maxx and I am doing just fine with the Pirahna AC/DC Peak charger.

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    peoria, arizona
    Posts
    528
    this charger and batery pack are whatt i use, love the charger, it beeps when the battery is done
    how come only 50 charracters?

  15. #15
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Canada, Quebec
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by jay_99z
    Before you get too carried away.....the original poster asked about charger and battery for EZ Start. That's it.


    Not trying to flame but I think many of the options were fine. Some may not have the demands that you do. For instance.....this is way overkill for me http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMAJ0&P=ML

    $125 to charge an EZ Start battery (the only one I need charged right now)? No thanks. Just try to see it from those on the lower end of the hobby.
    thats why i said "if money is not an issue" in the first place, juste giving a few more options and another perspective.

    now he want to charge a 7.2 pak.. ok.. there goes 45$ + shipping.... what happend if in 2 months he want to charge something thats not suported by his charger?.. buy a new 1 that will suporte the new pack.. there goes another 60 buck?

    sure these non computerized charger will do the job to charge his ez start pack.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •