RC Champion

2cell lipo in XL-5

well, i'm not going to try it, but its been bugging me for the last few days. since a 2 cell lipo is 7.4 volts, and the XL-5 can handle 8.6+ volts, is it possible to use 2 cell lipos with that esc, or is it only meant for nimhs and nicds? and if i used a 2 cell lipo w/that speed control (which i won't), what kind of speeds would i get out of it? anyone crazy like me that has tried it, feel free to speak up, lol.
    "As you think, so shall you become." -Bruce Lee

RC Champion
    Nothing "crazy" about it... Voltage is voltage no matter if it comes from NiMH or LiPO battery.... It's not gonna make your XL-5 explode and anything, and the motor will run just as fast as with freshly peaked NiMH's.... So, don't freak out... You're not the first one to ask this and do it...
    Just get a Low Voltage Cutoff device to protest LiPO from over-discharging...
    My Pede http://www.youtube.com/polishdog69

RC Champion
    ok, thank u, i jst didn't want to kill my esc. and i meant "crazy" as in i'm crazy, not the idea was crazy, lol. thanx for ur help, i know that might have sounded like a stupid question to ask, lol.
    "As you think, so shall you become." -Bruce Lee

RC Qualifier
    I run two trucks... a mamba 6900 rustler, and an XL-10 (Team Orion sv2bb motor) stampede. I use my TrueRc I run two trucks... a mamba 6900 rustler, and an XL-10 (Team Orion sv2bb motor) stampede. I use my TrueRC 6400mAh 7.4V 2S2P pack (15C) in both trucks. The Stampede is insane (for a brushed motor). I've been running it for a long time with no consequences so far.

RC Champion
    yeah li-po power is more consistent throughout the pack till it dumps .. as said before voltage is voltage.
    phil
    slash 4x4 168mph
    youtube:philip jolley

RC poster
    you can make the xl5 detect lo voltage

Quote Originally Posted by WildCatRC View Post
    Yep! Read the manual, you can set it for low voltage detection to use with lipos. I ran mine on 2s for a short while until I installed a brushless setup.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Quote Originally Posted by WildCatRC View Post
    The thread is 12 years old, maybe the version of the XL5 back then did not have an LVC. The VXL-3s system has undergone significant revision in that time, so I'd imagine that is probably true of the XL5 also. I bought a Traxxas Blast boat not even that long ago and it's ESC still does not have an LVC yet, so who knows what the Rustler/Bandit might have had 12 years ago.

At least anyone stuck without an LVC, can always use an external LVA (low voltage alarm) instead.