RC Champion

Need help picking off-road tires

I just got another Jato and will be using strictly off-road. I have done some searchs and a lot of people here recommend Masher 2K's, Moabs, and Geolanders. I also like the look of the Gladiators.

I was then thinking about switching to 17mm hexes and running 1/8 buggy tires. Does anyone have any experience running 1/8 buggy tires? Got pics and reviews on them.

Let me know!!
    Race Revo, Street Jato

RC poster
    what is it a 3.3 or 2.5 you might be losing some pony power with the bigger tires i have after market Traxxas ALIAS Bowties they are really good in the dirt/clay

RC Champion
    I am running a 3.3 in it.

I debating between 1/8 buggy tires and a set of Gladiators. If I were to run Gladiators, should I run all 4 or have a different tire up front?
    Race Revo, Street Jato

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Get the glads all around if you like the look but the glads pick up great on all off road terrain. But I have glads in the rear and blades in the front, they look wimpey but they will grab pretty good.
    No more money for rc trucks I got 1:1 truck

RC Champion
    Is there anywhere I can buy pre-mounted tires. Everytime I glue tires, they are always uneven and wobble.
    Race Revo, Street Jato

RC poster
    i got some vitory's stock in the front they suck on the road they are made for loose dirt and clay
    Wheelies Are My Demand!!

RC Champion
    How about 2.8" Talons all around?
    Race Revo, Street Jato

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    lol I would glue them for you for the price of materials and shiping but I am not guarentieing anything I do.

RC Champion
    If i get pre-mounted, I'd get the Talons.
    Race Revo, Street Jato

RC Qualifier
    i have a track near me and it is all driver maintained but the worst part is that it rains so much that it hardens the track so therse just dust on the track lik really thin layrs of sand and the bowties help it slide right thrug the track i love them all around. but i know this is off topic but what ar the big tires that the tmaxx and the tmaxx 2.5 use and are they better than the talons???
    ..and when I looked to the left I saw a parked car

RC Racer
    I HIGHLY recommend the moabs, if most of your bashing is going to be in the yard. Moabs hook up real well on grass! And they last...I bought the set I'm using now last august. I run them all the time (when the road rages aren't on it) and they still have plenty of tread left. You can get them premounted on the wabash wheels, I believe. Just drop down a few teeth in your clutchbell as the tire (even though it's on a 2.2 rim) is slightly larger in diamater than an anaconda on a 2.8 rim (stock). Only problem I have is keeping them glued on...a side effect of good traction (and yes, they were originally glued properly).

RC Champion
    I won't be running much in grass, mostly dirt. Whats a good dirt tire?
    Race Revo, Street Jato

RC Racer
    Good dirt tires....the best are bow-ties and holeshots. If you want to get specific...there are different types of dirt. Hardpacked dirt calls for a tire with smaller pins, ribs or blocks on it. Loose dirt calls for the opposite. Some tires are also intended for use in racing, and you may be disappointed that they don't last all that long...but the performance while they do is awesome. It's all personal preference, really.

RC Champion
    MOABS ftw they are awsome. they are good in most terrian liek soft sand, your track, they are great bashing tires.
    Spur gear stripping king..... :D

RC Champion
    I decided to go with 2.8 Talons. Got a set of 4 on ebay right off a Stampede, never used. I'll post some pics when I get them.

Also, should I drop down a tooth on my CB?
    Race Revo, Street Jato

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Should have gone with the Glads.
    By far my favorite off-road tire.
    I've tried everything ever made 2.2" (I think).
    I've never run the 2.8" though. I don't like them.

Here's mine.

Love them Gladiators.

RC Champion
    Nice truck man!

I am actually going to get a set of Glads with my newest Jato. I closed the deal yesterday and it's shipping out today. So I'll try the Glads when I get them also.
    Race Revo, Street Jato

RC Racer
    dirt hawgs on 30 series rims for me. great in the loose dirt and at your local gravel pit. they have a rooster tail like a dirtbike!
    Silly fast Jato 3.3

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jato25n33
    I decided to go with 2.8 Talons. Got a set of 4 on ebay right off a Stampede, never used. I'll post some pics when I get them.

Also, should I drop down a tooth on my CB?
    Wheres the pic and the write up on how they worked?
    How many opinions will you fascists censor?

RC Racer
    I run glads on the rear and dirt hawgs on the front of my 3.3 I also have a set of glads mounted on front rims that have worked well. So far my best combo is the glads on rear and dirt hawgs up front

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by robert_s
    Didnt get the Talons yet....
    Race Revo, Street Jato

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Lylej2k
    dirt hawgs on 30 series rims for me. great in the loose dirt and at your local gravel pit. they have a rooster tail like a dirtbike!
    I can't wait to get my 30 series dirt hawgs. I guess the wabash rims with the Jato adapters are getting hard to come by. I have road rage 30 series on wabash rims and really like them. My LHS said they have 4 suppliers working on getting my rims, but they only have the ones with Losi XXX-t adapters. He has the adapters for the Jato, so I told him to get me the Losi kit, since you can switch the adapters. I have 2.2 Dirt Hawgsand I love them, but the smaller rims are chewing up my suspension when I run on bumpy terrain.

Susan

RC Competitor
    Tower Hobbies is cheapest way to get the Prolines. My LHS charges too much for the tires and rims.
    Tower Hobbies ships pretty quick too. I have the 30 series dirt hawgs and love them. They are really good on asphalt too.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by robert_s
    Here's some pics for you guys...

I'm going to run a tank with them on right now. I'll let you know how they are!
    Last edited by Jato25n33; 10-02-2007 at 10:05 AM.
    Race Revo, Street Jato

RC Champion
    Just ran my Jato for 2 tanks. I love these tires! They give me a little bit of a higher ride height, which is good since this is my off-road Jato. Jumping it with the Talons is great. Nice jumps and the truck usually lands on all 4's. Being that these are 2.8" tires, they give a nice, soft landing also. The only bad thing I can think of right now is, on pavement when I turn and give it gas, it spun out a few times. I think this is due more to the power of the truck then the tires. Overall, I love them!
    Race Revo, Street Jato

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfink
    Should have gone with the Glads.
    By far my favorite off-road tire.
    I've tried everything ever made 2.2" (I think).
    I've never run the 2.8" though. I don't like them.

Here's mine.

Love them Gladiators.
    I just bought glads for my rear... still havnt mounted them do you have any rims that you like? I also bought The egde tires for the front (where my closest track is it has very loose sand and dirt. an rims for both of them that any of you like?
    Spur gear stripping king..... :D

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by falkon
    do you have any rims that you like?
    I run nothing but RC-Parts rims. I have 11 sets of them with all sorts of different tires mounted on them. The pic I posted has M2 Gladiators on all 4 mounted on RCP's Roadrunners.
    The RC-Parts shop is currently down though. They can't be had at the moment.

As far as plastic rims. I like RPM Slingshots. They look trick.
    I haven't used any plastic rims in over three years though.
    There are some other nice rims out there.
    The Traxxas dished rims are a decent inexpensive option as well.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I was looking around at Tower Hobbies for some rims and stumbled across the RPM Bully.
    They look pretty decent.

Bully Fronts

Bully Rears

Here's the Slingshot fronts

and the Slingshot Rears.

I've used the Slingshots back in the day. They're nice.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I was going to get bully rims for my road rageIIs but the lhs didn't have them so I keep the stock rims and stretched them but here are some pics of the slingshot rims on glads and blaes

(old pic)