RC Champion

tires from rims...

How do yu guys get tires off of rims? I dont want to boil them because it might ruin the tires. The tires are practicaly brand new and I dont want to wreck them. I dont have acitone around the house and dont want to go to the store for only acitone. Also idk where I could get it, home depot, walmart? which 1?
    Spur gear stripping king..... :D

Traxxas Marshal
    You shouldn't ruin them when boiling them. I have successfully removed many tires from the wheels with the boiling method. In all cases, the wheels and tires were in good shape (as long as they weren't thrashed before I boiled them). In some instances, chrome wheels might dull a little...
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    I used boiling, the tires are still in perfect condition, but they fought EVERY BIT of the way, but I probably should've boiled them longer, but I boiled them for 30MINUTES, and they came off, but not easily., and I'm thinking acetone or baking to get them off, theres a big debate, and some info if you want to sift though it in this thread, it has about every way this forum knows of to remove tires.
    Jato 3.3-Drilled Res & Light porting

RC Champion
    I was liking the baking until i heard about the smell.... We just got a new oven and I dont think that my mom would liek that too much Same with boiling. Will it ruin the pots? I have to take about 6 rims off the 6 tires...

RC Qualifier
    It didn't do anything to mine, but I would suggest using a bad/old pan, just to be safe.
    Jato 3.3-Drilled Res & Light porting

RC Champion
    ok well i cant do any of those Where can i get acetone?

home depot, harware store, freings, home depot
    Learn by doing

RC Champion
    to add to KeyLeader7's ^^^ post...it's near/in the paint section w/all the other various types of solvents(home depot)...
    "Growing OLD is mandatory, Growing UP is optional"

RC Qualifier
    Will Acetone trash the tyres or will it dull chrome rims?
    I'm Ron Burgandy?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think it will ruin chrome, boiling them will not if you can do that, proline wheels get a bit yellow when boiling them but the chrome is still there and the yellow will start to go away. it will not ruin pots I usually boil my tires after cooking my self ramen noodles. I dont think my parents would like the idea of me cooking tires plus it looks pretty stupid so I do it while they are gone, it takes a while so do something while they are boiling and check the water level every half hour unless you have a bigger pot than I used (6 tires you might want one!) then while checking I try pulling the tire off the rim to see how much glue is left and some of the glue can be pulled off the rim so you just have to boil the tire if you want that glue gone. I also perfer boiling because it adds flex to the rims this helped a lot on my RPM rims and plenty on my traxxas dished wheels
    I memorized pi to 200 digits!

RC Champion
    I biol mine I fond that 45 min works great they still want to fight but they will pop off with a good tug, just make sure to let them cool all the way

RC Racer
    bake em. 250 degrees for 20/25 minutes and they'll pop right off.
    Silly fast Jato 3.3

RC Racer
    I boiled mine--30 minutes or so and they came off, but not easily!! The chrome on the stock rims with the anacondas did dull a bit too!!!
    Jato 3.3, RPM arms front and back, Traxxas CVD's

RC Champion
    ok i got acetone and am going to try taking the rims off a little later. I will post and tell you how it is.

RC Racer
    i'm baking as we speak. be done in 20 minutes
    Silly fast Jato 3.3

RC Champion
    OK acetone stinks to put in nicely. I have been out there for 20 min and still no result. I got 1 tires 3/4 way off. And I cant bake them or boil them.... this sucks.... lol they are brand new tires on new rims (ebay) and I got them for a great deal...

Traxxas Marshal
    The reason you cannot boil them is because you're worried about wrecking the pot? If so, do you have any old coffee cans? Those are what I use... they work great!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool
    You shouldn't ruin them when boiling them. I have successfully removed many tires from the wheels with the boiling method. In all cases, the wheels and tires were in good shape (as long as they weren't thrashed before I boiled them). In some instances, chrome wheels might dull a little...
    Yea, you told me that and I did it but I spent like 30 minutes washing my mom's pot. But it was better than what I did with my old car, cutting them and useing a wire brush wheel that goes on the drill and a filer. It took all day.

Quote Originally Posted by falkon
    I was liking the baking until i heard about the smell.... We just got a new oven and I dont think that my mom would liek that too much Same with boiling. Will it ruin the pots? I have to take about 6 rims off the 6 tires...
    Not really but you have to scrub them for along time.
    No more money for rc trucks I got 1:1 truck