Thread: different tires

RC poster

different tires

i just bought a jato 3.3 last week and i want new tires for off road. the anacondas do not seem to be the right choice for off-road. and i cannot find a good 2.8 tire. i have been looking on the forum at other peoples rides and there are some that have bigger tires but the wheels are smaller. what all parts will i need to do that kind of mod and will i have to regear the truck for that mod?

Traxxas Marshal
    If you want to install 2.2 tires and wheels, you should not need to do any modifications to install them, assuming you buy the right ones. You want to make sure that you get wheels that are specifically the front and rear of Traxxas nitro vehicles. I'd recommend staying with tires around the same size... Pro-Line Dirt Hawgs, Pro-Line Dirt Works, HPI Geolandars, etc... those are all pretty good off-road stadium truck tires. As for wheels, RPM makes some nice ones. I'd recommend getting the white ones, though... the chrome on the RPM chrome wheels chips off pretty easily.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool
    If you want to install 2.2 tires and wheels, you should not need to do any modifications to install them, assuming you buy the right ones. You want to make sure that you get wheels that are specifically the front and rear of Traxxas nitro vehicles. I'd recommend staying with tires around the same size... Pro-Line Dirt Hawgs, Pro-Line Dirt Works, HPI Geolandars, etc... those are all pretty good off-road stadium truck tires. As for wheels, RPM makes some nice ones. I'd recommend getting the white ones, though... the chrome on the RPM chrome wheels chips off pretty easily.
    You need a set screw instead of the blue screw on the rear a-arms for 2.2 rims. I would get glads and blades or masher 2000s (i think that is what they are). I like the look of the mashers because they have a big side wall and that looks cool off road.
    No more money for rc trucks I got 1:1 truck

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by n3.3d_for_sp33d
    You need a set screw instead of the blue screw on the rear a-arms for 2.2 rims. I would get glads and blades or masher 2000s (i think that is what they are). I like the look of the mashers because they have a big side wall and that looks cool off road.
    Interesting. Are you talking about part number 3940?

RC Champion
    i use the 2.8 talons they seem to do well ........i dont race just bash but they work for me on stock 2.8 rims
    drive it like you stole it !!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    I have the plain old Traxxas white nylon wheels for all of my dirt tires. They work great and for only $5 a pair, theyre hard to beat. Tire wise I stick with regular old stadium truck tires, Pro-line Edge fronts, and I have Pro-line Bow tie T's and Dirt hawgs for the rear. My personal preference isn't for the tall tires like Moabs or Masher 2K's. I save those for my rock crawler!
    Remember,they are just toy trucks, kinda.

RC Racer
    i run gladiators front and rear on 2.2 wheels. and dirt hawgs on 30 series rims
    Silly fast Jato 3.3

RC Qualifier
    That is the right part number (there is one on every a-arm) but I thought it was the ones on the front axles that had to be replaced.

RC Champion
    No the ones in the back rub on the inside of the rim
    V-Spec Revo, UE EXT Thunder SM

RC Champion
    If you do use a set screw make sure you don't tighten against the pin and use some locktite to keep it in place!
    V-Spec Revo, UE EXT Thunder SM

RC Racer
    I run the RPM Bully 2.2 rims with Pro-Line Gladheatehers on my jato 3.3 with no gearing changes needed.My Jato 2.5 has Traxxas 2.8 5 Star rims and 2.8 Traxxas Talon tires.More of a monster truck look and feel. My bud runs IMEX 2.8 rims and tires on his Jato 2.5.You can see there stuff at www.imexrc.com they have some cool stuff.There are alot of options for the Jato if you take your time and look around.Happy Shopping.L8R,Wrench.
    Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Doing "RIGHT"

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by newb-rookie
    No the ones in the back rub on the inside of the rim
    OK. I bought a set of RPM 2.2 rims and proline tires I just never installed them. I new one set or the other would rub as per their instructions I just didnít remember which set.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yea, those rub on the back and you need to get set screws in the rear.
    No more money for rc trucks I got 1:1 truck

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by newb-rookie
    ... use some locktite to keep it in place!
    That's not metal on metal contact is it?

I just got some Talon tires for the rear and so far I like them.

RC Competitor
    How about the proline 30 series with Dirt Hawgs? I just got a set, but haven't been able to try them yet. They are 2.8 rims with a low profile tire. I have a set of RPM claw 2.2's and Dirt Hawgs, but the smaller rims pratically chewed off the blue set screw in the rear suspension. Just make sure you get the Jato adapters with the 30 series wheels. Hope that helps.

Susan

RC Racer
    My 30 series dirt hawgs spin alot. The gladiators on 2.2 rims hook up real nice in the grass by comparison. Now i can't keep the front down on the street or in the grass!!!
    Silly fast Jato 3.3

RC Qualifier
    no mods with traxxas rustler rims it has a more offset too
    wider is better!
    I started JATO all others are IMITATORS!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by WrenchHead
    I run the RPM Bully 2.2 rims with Pro-Line Gladheatehers on my jato 3.3 with no gearing changes needed.My Jato 2.5 has Traxxas 2.8 5 Star rims and 2.8 Traxxas Talon tires.More of a monster truck look and feel. My bud runs IMEX 2.8 rims and tires on his Jato 2.5.You can see there stuff at www.imexrc.com they have some cool stuff.There are alot of options for the Jato if you take your time and look around.Happy Shopping.L8R,Wrench.
    Looks pretty .. What are the part #'s for these rims ?