Thread: beach bashing

RC Champion

beach bashing

i really want to ride it in the beach. not in the water though, lol. i live here in Daytona Beach, FL. huge beach right across the road from my house, loads of dunes to ramp off of, but i know you need certain things to do this. i have a motorsaver air filter and 4 filters to switch into when one gets dirty, and normal moabs all around will be fine for me, no paddles. what else would i need to be safe on the salty sand? what should i use to clean it? without taking it all apart that is. would pressurized air work? from either a can or a air compressor. and what about that nitro cleaner stuff in the comppressed can thats supposed to be good on about everything but electronics? i cant wait! is there anything else that i need to seal up or anything? ill definately post a video also.
    WARNING:exposure to nitro can lead to drain bamage

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Put balloons around the servos and reciever and zip ties on them just for safety.
    No more money for rc trucks I got 1:1 truck

RC Champion
    what about cleaning? i would just be driving it into dry sand almost always. would just normal compressed air in a can work? what about this? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWS67&P=7 would this stick to the sand and make mud, or blow it off? i know its oil and is used to clean.

RC Champion
    i would ditch the motorsaver air filter and use the stock traxxas one while running in the sand...
    "Growing OLD is mandatory, Growing UP is optional"

need4speed idea of putting balloons around servos & receiver are totally great Jatomann.. just follow it.
    incase of cleaning without disabling the whole truck , i would say use the available denature alcohol along with compressed air ( you should cover your eyes while spraying the liquid & when putting the air pressure later )..

get benefit out of Need4speed idea .. that's will secure the electronic-electrical parts from any sand residues & from both humidity + the cleaning liquids ( although denature alcohol will evaporate faster )...

it's not available here .. so you are lucky than me when cleaning your jato.

Note:
    -double times oiling your air filter ( better 2 use the Traxxas stock one )
    -Do the ARP as you in a humid area + clean or replace ur air filter after each run ( don't wait to complete an hour ).

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yea, if you wate a hour you will be luckey if the engine will keep running. Or at least it is that way with the dirt up here.

RC Qualifier
    Ive run on sand a few times, its great coz theres nothing to crash into! Theres a picture of my Jato kitted out for sand on page 8 of the gallary.

People always say that bearings tend to get wrecked, ive never had any problems with this though as the Traxxas bearings are sealed, infact, im still running the same bearings now as i was when on the dunes. However, i strongly advise putting balloons around the receiver and servos, as well as this, i put balloons around my shocks like so;

This helps keep the seals tight around the shaft. I wrecked the seals on some aftermarket shocks and lost all the oil inside because of sand.

I know you said you wern't planning to use sand tires but you probably won't get much grip with Moabs... If you decide later to buy sand tires, i recommend getting Proline Sand Paddels for the rear and Proline Mohawks for the front. DO NOT GET PROLINE SLINGSHOTS!! the little scoops on the tire rip after about an hour of running and im not the only one who has experienced this.

As for cleaning, it depends if your running in damp sand or really dry sand, damp sand is so annoying to clean off as it normally requires a total strip down to clean thourghly. Dry sand still gets everywhere; although air tends to get most of the sand off, whe you strip it down you will still find sand...

EDIT; Oh yea, and zip tie your air filter on just for extra security, if it comes off you engine is dead...
    Besides that, have fun!
    O.S .18TZ Powered Jato
    Simple as.

another important thing: when cleaning your Jato
    while the air filter installed, don't ever aim the compressed
    air towards the air filter because it will force the sands residues
    to get through it then inside the carb,

Best thing i guess is to wipe over the whole truck from dust with a cloth
    saturated with alcohol then start cleaning it after removing the air filter
    and take care not to let any sand particles to get inside the carb.

RC Champion
    Jato360, i learned about that ziptie air filter trick the hard way. about 5 months ago i was in a sand pit and it flipped over, ripped off the air filter without me knowing, and i gassed it to keep it running, but it didnt. but now i have an OS18TM, so its all good and thanks for the shock idea, ill do that. i put a balloon around my reciever pack last night, and my little black antenna wire ripped at that blue screw. is it OK to just twist them back together and seal it up with electrical tape? and for the servos, where should the end of the balloon be? up at the top where the thing turns?

RC Champion
    how do i seal up the servos with a balloon? i have already taken care of the reciever. and is it OK to just twist the antenna wire back together and wrap it in electrical tape where it tore completely apart?

Quote Originally Posted by Jatomann
    how do i seal up the servos with a balloon? i have already taken care of the reciever. and is it OK to just twist the antenna wire back together and wrap it in electrical tape where it tore completely apart?
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=389431

"with thanks to NEED4SPEED"

RC Champion
    ok, so what about the antenna wire?

if you just cover the two servos, cover the reciever box, & if you want thecoil suspension, i do beleive that you secure almost 90% of your jato.

not to forget to double oiling the stock air filter, respect the after run maintenance.
    the antenna wire comes last, myself not doing anything with it,
    my jato rolls many times on the sands nothing hurt till now.

Goodluck,

RC Champion
    no, my antenna wire got "crimped" at that antenna nut and tore apart when i ballooned the reciever. i just twisted it together and wrapped it in electrical tape, and now its in the reciever box. is it OK to just tie it back together??? i dont want to have a runaway.

RC Qualifier
    If you just twist the antenna wire together again it SHOULD be ok... Dont hold me to this though, i dont want to be responsible for a wrecked Jato, have you got a fail safe? You should be fine if you do.
    O.S .18TZ Powered Jato
    Simple as.

RC Champion
    i have that duratrax failsafe. does that drain your battery?

Quote Originally Posted by Jatomann
    no, my antenna wire got "crimped" at that antenna nut and tore apart when i ballooned the reciever. i just twisted it together and wrapped it in electrical tape, and now its in the reciever box. is it OK to just tie it back together??? i dont want to have a runaway.
    see the digram below, i drew it just for to show you how easy
    you can do it:
    - the orange thing is the balloon ( cut from each side of it to let the Rx fit in )
    - the greeen line at each side is tabe or a small size zip ties.

everything should be fitted inside the RX container ( box ) and the antenna should be attached through the nut as usual.

Note: No need to blow air into the balloon.

RC Champion
    i already took care of the reciever a couple days ago, lol. and i didnt cut a hole in 2 ends, it all went out one end. i just need to know how to do the servos. another pic like that would work great, lol. thanks.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ok whell here is my pic, you can get the roughf out line of it

reciever

servo

I am not that good with paint.

RC Champion
    do you gave to put a hole in the balloon to put the servo horn on?
    Spur gear stripping king..... :D

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You don't have to. It fits better if you put a hole in the balloon. But it will work with out the hole.

you should be rewarded need4speed for this effort

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    lol I don't think so.

RC Champion
    nice, i get it now. thanks for the help!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    that is what the fourm is about, helping other people with the same hobby.