Thread: My TRX 2.5

RC Enthusiast

My TRX 2.5

Ive had my TRX 2.5 in my 4tec for quite a long time now, ive been told that they last only 1 1/2 gallons of fuel, but there's a few things that i'd like to know -

(1)How long does it last for..?

(2)Does it loose power over time..?

My friend has just got a jato 3.3, it says on the box that it does 60+mph, but my 2.5 ive had at 65Mph, but his is well faster than mine, now it could be down to the gearing but if i race him and i have a head start he still beats me..
    ive got a few theorys why it does and would like anyone's opinion...

1- The engine is on its way out...

2- Mine wheel spins all the time...

3- the gearing is different...

4- its not tuned propperly...

im so confused....if it is down to the tuning then does anyone have any tips on how to do it, whats the factory settings on the 2.5 cos i'll set it to that then i'll go off anyone's tuning tips.
    Im using 16% Traxxas sidewinder fuel, the old stuff, its never ran on anything else since new.

Cheers for your time

UKMIKE
    i haz got a welll fast 4tec...innit lol

Okay first id say that a 2.5 should last 5-12 gallons 12 being very lucky and taken care of. My rusty has 3 or 4 through it and still starts first pull and has tons of power. Wheel spin may be a factor but i doubt it..is your clutch slipping and is your tranny shifting to second. I just bought a used 2.5 4 tec and it doesnt shift to second so check that. I also think the jato does 70+ actually and your 2.5 is rated for 60+...Also switch to a higher nitro 16 is way to low you want at least 20% . Tuning is a very big part of it as well stock settings are HSN 4 turns out and LSN flush with the ring the needle screws in to. Your motor will loose compression with age...to check it turn the flywheel by hand and if it is stiff then you have compression the stiffer the more compression.

RC Enthusiast
    Ive sorted out the gear change, , its not slipping i had a go lastnight and it now shifts to 2nd later, which i want...and ive noticed that it does wheel spin even in second, so im gonna have to buy some foams , now if i were to change from 16% to say 20% would that increase the power output of the engine and im glad that you said it should last like 12 if im lucky, i'll change over to 20% on friday
    Thanks for your help Mark its a sunny but cold day its a good 8'C today, blue Sky, Lovely English weather lolol

UKMIKE
    Last edited by UKMIKE; 10-23-2007 at 08:36 AM.

Yah shes cold here today id say maybe 10c here so i hear yah and nice dark sky....switching to 20% will boost your power quite a bit id say, now do note that you will need to retune going from 16-20%..What kind of tires do you have on your car right now. I have rubber v-rage tires from proline tires and they hook up very very well...also if you want more power out of your 4 tec there is tons of ways one is easy get a aluminum tuned pipe...also lighten the car with carbon fiber or graphite chassis.(upper) and shock tower(rear)... also if you want more take off i suggest a sliding cabon clutch (2 piece) have one on my savage and has tons of grab due to more contact area on the clutch bell...Got any pictures of your 4 tec.

RC Enthusiast
    I have got the TRX 2.5, tuned exhaust an manifold, the Proline V-rage tyres i got have nothing left on them, just running soft slicks, its hard to get parts for my 4tec , its 30min drive to the nearest hobby shop and they dont deal with Traxxas, so its harder to get the part numbers for the carbon parts an Aluminium parts.
    i'll sort you out some pics in 10 mins from this post, need to get the camera ready.

RC Qualifier
    Is higher compression good?

RC Enthusiast

These are my Proline V-Rage Tires -
    Last edited by UKMIKE; 10-23-2007 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pede_kid
    Is higher compression good?
    Yep the higher compression the more power your engine will have.

Okay i have heard that the hpi x belted tires are pretty good or maybe some foams never ran them personally but...As for the hobby shop i do most of my shopping on ebay as its way cheaper then the local hobby shop..i only go to the hobby shop for fuel and cheap stuff. Thats a nice car i like that...i just got mine had it out once ill post up some pics in a few mins...Id look at getting a new exhaust coupler as i noticed yours is split and it will soon likley cause a non starting issue because youill loose the pressure to the tank.

oh and im not really to sure i like that air filter on there mainly cuz it looks to have no screen on it which is a bit of a safety feature. If you want a better one for more power and better filtering look at the motor saver air filters.
    Last edited by traxxasmark; 10-23-2007 at 04:40 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Dude i really like your Lambo shell, it took me ages to paint the M3 shell, im due to get a new resonator exhaust an manifold, i cant believe yours is that clean, i took it apart once and cleaned it, then 30 secs later it was messy, oh well.
    As for the filter - I rolled it wen i 1st got it and it shattered the cover, the foam is easy to clean, i do it every run.
    The upper graphite looks WICKED man, im deffo gonna get a carbon package soon,and the tires, i just walked to the shop to get a few cans of beer, and took my car, i tinkered with it a bit and it goes like a rocket now, its either ive just found the best tuning for it or the fact that its really really cold outside, lol my guess is its the cold thats made it better.
    i'll get a video of it bashing with my mates 3.3 Jato.....
    HAHA the 1st day he got it, it hit 40mph then span round and hit the kerb,dented the manifold so badly you couldnt run water though it and broke the rear arm...
    and this was on his 1st tank ever..lol
    I cant help but notice that your on/off switch is not in the same place as mine... were is it...lol
    The Savage just looks the dog's dangles personaly, just aint got the money for 1 plus my girlfriend would kill me if i got another 1.. lol
    she says its too noisey and it smells.. HA HA Girls for you
    have you got MSN if so add me an we'll talk
    mikeclubbyd@hotmail.co.uk

and your Location: London, Ontario , I thorght theres only 1 London an thats in UK... lol unless im really think an you live in the UK??

RC Enthusiast
    P.s Your front left wheel's tire tread is on facing the wrong way, change it over with the rear right wheel.

i would change it but it came like that and the rear right tire is the right way to....Tell your buddy to purchase rpm arms for his jato heill never break another one again..and if you do life time warranty..i use rpm all the time...and its about 10 bux us or can for two arms not bad at all...As for the savage yah its a beast i love it...ha you think your gf hates yours try having 3 of them she hates them so much specially seeing my rustys all spread out on the kitchen table....so ive got a nitro rustler with over 1400 bux in it and then a savage with about that much in it...and the 4 tec which came with all that you see for 130 bux off ebay...what a steal eh...as for the on/off switch its on the other side of the reciver i belive the carbon kit has a hole there to mount it.

Yep im in Canada Ontario London...wish i was in the UK lol ...ill add you to msn.

RC Racer
    UK MIKE, I think you should loose the EZ strat and get a Roto start or pull start.That will lighten your car considerably. I think with good traction and a lighter car you should be able to beat your buddys Jato.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rustler.21
    UK MIKE, I think you should loose the EZ strat and get a Roto start or pull start.That will lighten your car considerably. I think with good traction and a lighter car you should be able to beat your buddys Jato.
    I been thinking about loosing the EZ starter for a while now, yea that might make it lighter but theres no way of me getting traction down, nothing at all, it just wheel spins even in second gear it does it, im thinkin about getting really wide foam tires for it and a carbon package ,....
    whats the biggest size wheel i can put on it without putting the Rear an front Stub Axel carriers under more stress, .... i was out with it today , you can see that it goes really well but you dont see an increase in speed , looks like it only goes 40Mph... and just wheel spinns.... :@:@ it is actually doing my head in lol lol i've got 12 wheels, all of them dont grip ... AND i also broke today the drive shaft on the rear, it's snapped from the rear Diff... here's a pic of it... :@ :@ another annoyin thing.
    here's another view

Yep rustler.21 is right ditch that crappy ez start..such a pain always carrying around batterys and having to charge them and for the weight savings so worth it all my nitros are pull start only way to go. Im gonna say going with a wider tire will stress the car more unless lighter then the stock setup...but if your breaking shafts already wider will do it more often.