Thread: Rough day

Rough day

A few weeks ago I found out the hard way that the Dental school's do not treat patients the way a dentist would. Unfortunately I signed a contract preventing me to take legal action. In hind site being 50/50 I have found out that both bridges on my upper teeth but they were not done very well.
    Dye was left inside the bridges, this dye is used for the fitting process before being bonded. Well it seems that the dye had worn away allowing bacteia into the supposedly sealed part of the bridge, since the teeth it covered had root canals no discomfort was ever felt. there was also a preiodontal problem that should have been cleared up before they even started the bridge work.
    2 years after all the work and $$ I was at the dinner table and my front upper bridge came out exposing that there was no teeth left to support it. The other bridge also on the upprer jaw was the same.
    I now have had to have what's left of my teeth in my upper jaw removed, have 4 titanium rods screwed into my jaw and having a dneture type implant installed.
    Yesterday 7 teeth were extracted and the rods were installed. A very painful process, needless to say I have had very little sleep and lots of pain/discomfort.

Why am I posting this? Simple. My experience is showing me that these dental schools are only using us for practice on certain procedures, not for treating your Dental Health which is what you want.....
    Stick to real dentists, don't go to a learning facility cause they do not treat the problem they just fix the obvious.
    I can thank the dental school for costing me tons of money, lots of pain and time. The dentist I am seeing now says the instructors and the students should be shot for what they caused. But you can't do that for obvious reasons, and yes you can't even take legal action because of the waiverthey have you sign.

Yes, I'm hurting, didn't sleep all night from pain. I can thank the Dental School for that.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Champion
    that sucks man...i feel your pain...i had to have 11 teeth pulled in a period of a week or two when i was younger before getting braces put on...and have pulled 1 myself since then, and one in the ER room...for a total of 13...lol...i've felt some serious pain in my life, ie: broken bones etc...but IMO tooth pain is by far the worst one if you ask me, specially when you break out the Vise Grips and do it yourself like i did the one night, felt really good once i got it out...i just didn't want to spend another $2500 in the ER room again like i did before, and it was something that came up "overnight" on a saturday morning, and couldn't wait until monday to get it taken care of because of the pain shooting through my head, and trust me when i tell you i have a very high tolerance for pain, when i broke my arm i never realized it was broken until i was told by the doctors in the ER room, and never felt any pain from it at all (was tolerable pain), and never took any of their pain killers either (personally i don't believe in medications that cause side affects/other medical conditions, like most medicines do these days...lol)...just putting that out before anyone asks "why didn't you go see your dentist?"
    "Growing OLD is mandatory, Growing UP is optional"

I had 7 tetth extracted all at one session along with the drilling for the implant screws (titanium) and the tittanium screws were put in, heck they even used a torque wrench and had it set for 45lbs of torque.

My mouth is getting mor ehop up parts than my TMAXX.
    All Lives Matter

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I had my wisdom teeth removed summer of '07. I didn't like it at all. Other than that I have perfect teeth
    No more money for rc trucks I got 1:1 truck

RC Champion
    Dang! That sounds seriously painful.
    I'm not a big fan of dentists myself,they are too needle happy for my liking and I really Hate needles!!!!!

Hope you start feeling better real soon.
    Bullet/Bullet2 / Hawk2/ Blue Eagle/E-Maxx/T-Maxx

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have gone to the dental school for basic teeth cleaning type thing, as I don't have dental insurance, but when it came time to get a tooth pulled, I payed the big bucks up front to have a pro do it. After reading your post I am glad I did.
    I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

RC Champion
    Wow, I can't belive that they did that. It made me cringe. I hope your pain will go away soon.
    "I told you a million times not to exaggerate!"

It's getting better. The worst is over (I hope). I too do not have dental insurance. Hence going to the dental school, I had a false sense of security. every time I went in at least 3 senior dentists were keeping a close eye.

They did work that was needed, but they did not treat the patient. They did not get the periodontal problem under control first. So all the good work they did went down the tube. I can not take legal action because it is a learning facility and you sign a waiver before they touch you.

Cuda, you are soooo right. If you don't want pain go to a real dentist. I have had students who had the entire side of my head numb, but the tooth they needed numb was not. That's cause they did not have the anatomy down and know where to inject the novacaine to numb the tooth.

If we want to find Ben Lahdin, just send some of those dental students over there. I myself have had P.O.W. training, including interrogation training. I would have told them anything they wanted to know at one point cause the pain was unbelieveable. The last procedure done by a real dentist, was a breeze in comparison.

the thing that bothers me is that other people are going to this dental school. Since I can not take legal action I worry that others are getting the saem mis treatment.
    All Lives Matter

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I went to a real dentist about a month and a half ago to get all my wisdom teeth pulled. I wasn't having any problems with them except one had a huge cavity in it but they suggested I get all 4 pulled.

To make a long story short... after the numbing meds wore off, I still couldn't feel the left side of my tongue and to this day I still can't. I went to a oral surgeon and he said there is nothing he could do at this time because he doesn't know where the damage happened because the nerve is not broken just bruised. I can still feel things with the left side it just never stopped tingling and it effects the way I say some words now.

There is a conspiracy against people with their wisdom teeth. Everyone wants you to feel the pain they did, lol. Oh, BTW the tooth that caused the problem had no cavities or anything.
    President
    No Limit R/C of Maryland

RC Champion
    Sorry to hear all this NN. You ought to consider the mod I pm'd you about . Seriously though, hope you get well soon.
    The road goes on forever and the party never ends!!!

I'm not putting this out to share my pain, what I'm saying is if you are like me and can not afford dental insurance do not trust a Dental school to treat you as a patient. Yeah have them do a filling or something like that, but if you are in need of treatment, meaning more than just a filling or a simple cleaning go to someone with experience.

This entire situation could have been totally avoided and I would have 90% of my teeth had I been properly treated. The dental school never recognized my periodontal problem (gingivitis), which should have been taken care of prior to doing any bridge work. Also the dye they used for fitting the bridge was never cleaned out. That dye wore away and allowed bacteria to get inside the bridge where it was bonded to the existing teeth.

The 3 different dentists I had seen about this all agreed that the syoervising dentist and the students should have been prosecuted for the negligence they had practiced. Unforunately I can not take any legal action because you sign a waiver when going to a learning facility preventing you from taking any legal action for malpractice.
    All Lives Matter

Boone722
    ^^^^
    I see your posts as trying to help someone else avoid the same problem.It's unfortunate that you have to go though all the pain from the dental school's negligence.Hope you feel better soon.hang in there.
    Rick

^ That's exactly what I'm trying to do^. No point in crying over spilt milk if you ask me. It doesn't make the pain, discomfort go away and it won't bring my teeth back.

Man I wish I could chew. Right now anything harder than soup is impossible. Since I can not take legal action to help prevent this from happening to others spreading the word is the next best thing.
    All Lives Matter

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That sucks, I have always had my dental work done at a good dentist. Costs a lot, but they do a good job. I have to get skin grafts in my mouth because my gums aren't growing up far enough, and that is going to cost a ton, plus the 4 sealants they put in my mouth many, many years ago are falling apart and need to be re-done. Good thing I always pulled my own teeth with my leatherman, I saved a lot of money by doing that

RC Champion
    i hate going to the dentist. i also hate needles liek some1 els said.... i hate blood being drawn and cant take the sound of the drills i know its sad but i freak out. I have to get my wisdom teeth taken out soon and i am not very happy about it, but the back of my jaw is kinda in pain. I will definetly be taking pain pills and living off of jello
    Spur gear stripping king..... :D

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    awe man NN i feel u dude!! ive been fortunate enough to have been able to pay out of pocket when i didnt have insurance cuz u gotta keep ur choppers in good condition. im in my 30's and heard stories like urs for years plus ive neva been comfortable w/a student treating me for anything!! i hope ur thread prevents someone from going thru this drama. hope u feel better my dude!! one.
    Keep spendin $$ and ur still in the way!!

I think I may have spoken too soon about the pain cause I woke up at 3AM and man did I hurt!

If anyone is a dental student out there I don't men to flame you, it's not as much the students fault as it is the senior dentists/instructors who oversee everything.

I remove my temprary denture plate every time I have to clean my mouth, before you could not see the stitches but now everything can be seen and OMG there are over 30 stitches going across where my teeth used to be. It's very upsetting cause I did my best to take care of my teeth once I started at the dental school for supposed treatment.

Man take care of your teeth, see a real dentist. Stay away from a learning facility cause you do not want to be a project you want to be a patient!!!!!

Thanks for all the kind words, like I said I'm not posting this for sympathy (but thanks everyone just the same), I want people to read this, especially younger people. They aren't kidding when they say you need to take care of your teeth.

In the past I didn't floss very often, but I did brush my teeth regularly. It wasn't enough. That flossing thng is super important. If I had been more attentive to doing proper hygene maybe this post wouldn't be here right now.
    All Lives Matter

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i feel ur pain. flossing is the key and my parents stayed on top of us. takin care of our choppers especially. i once had teeth in my gums that could only be seen thru xrays. the dentist told us it was common and he said he'd seen some people w/as many as 30 teeth there. anyway they had to cut the roof of my mouth and extract them. i had bout ten stitches from the front bak to my adams apple. a pain like not other . hope u have some top notch meds and just try to take it easy. hope u feel better

The stitches come out today! I don't know if I should be happy about that or not.

I just hope I'm in good enough condition to be with my sons for Trick or Treat. But it says it's gonna rain!!!!

Oh well, maybe it's for the best. Oh and I have 18 sets of stitches too. Joy Joy Joy...

This is a long haul I feel. Everyone take care of your teeth or you will be having as much if not more pain and discomfort than I am. Trust me, I can tolerate pain but dental pain is THE WORST!!!!!!
    All Lives Matter

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    dental pain is da worst. the crazy thing bout that operation was, the pain stopped when my stitches came out. its like the skin healin on em made it hurt more. hope ur feel aight and are able 2 trik or treat 2 nite

Quote Originally Posted by jusleanit
    dental pain is da worst. the crazy thing bout that operation was, the pain stopped when my stitches came out. its like the skin healin on em made it hurt more. hope ur feel aight and are able 2 trik or treat 2 nite
    Thanks,
    I'll find out in about another hour or so. But the worst part is over (I HOPE!!!!)...

Just STAW AWAY FROM DENTAL SCHOOLS!!!! You do not want to be practiced on! You want to be treated!!!!
    All Lives Matter

It's old but it's back

Oh joy,
    That darn dental school issue has popped back up. Previously I lost all my upper teeth and needing replacing by 4 titanium posts which hold an upper denture in place. We knew that one of the posts was questionable because of lack of bone material.

Guess what, that 1 post became seriously infected and had to have the post removed and the infection cleared.

3 years later the unscrupulous work of a dental school has caused me even more pain and i will be going through a bone graft to get that 4th post back in place.

I can't put things in nice terms as far as how much discomfort and pain the lack of proper dental treatment has caused me, but for those of you out there, it's better to go into debt and see a real dentist for treatment then take your chances like I did.

All's I want for Christmas is my upper teeth. Eating mushy foods all the time just plain stinks....
    All Lives Matter

RC Qualifier
    Oh my, what a mess. I feel for ya NN ... even though, knock on wood, I am 60 and still have excellent teeth.
    Note to self .... listen to NN and others that have good advice.
    US Navy retired, now - FAA air traffic controller

RC Qualifier
    Im young get and my dentist cant fill a cavity to save his life!! I get cavities in between the crevises of the teeth. He drilled in there and sealed it. A month ago I felt it come off and everytime I chew It feels like someone is shoving needles in my tooth
    Live Life.................While You Can