Need help slipping something?

So i got my 4 tec off of ebay got a great deal for 130 bux looks great and has a almost brand new 2.5 in it but then i got it going something is slipping...im not sure what...if i take off slow it starts going fine and will do an okay speed but if you pin it something is slipping....any ideas im hopping clutch and not tranny but ....it also wont shift to second i dont know if this is cuz its slipping to much or what i adjusted the screw it was all the way in and i turned it out a bit still nothing. Any help

RC Racer
    sounds like it may be the trans, but check simple stuff first, pinion gears, spurgears, then your differentials, for belt wear
    traxxas hates signatures

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Is it like you hit the throttle and the RPMs spike and the car doesn't move? If so, that's exactly what mine is doing, I suspect something in the transmission or between the engine and transmission, but haven't torn it down to see yet.

RC Champion
    check to make sure all the set screws in the trans area are all tight.also, 2speed might be adjucted incorrectly, might be locked in first gear-too tight, or you might have backed it out too much stuck in second gear.
    TRAXXAS:The Team To Watch!!

RC Enthusiast
    my 1st gear , you can turn the screw but the 2nd gear screw is fixxed tight and wont budge..so it goes an tops out in 1st for ages then goes in to 2nd,by that time i have to stop an turn around...plus ive ripped 1 of the engine bolt heads, and the thread is in the engine,..

UNSULLIED SPY- is the car wheelspinnging loads an its hard to get some speed, if so i have that same problem, ive beed told to get foam tires..
    i haz got a welll fast 4tec...innit lol

RC poster
    there is no second screw to turn. there ARE 2 screws-the first which if you insert the wrench in and is straight up, is the set screw that holds the 2 speed assembly onto the shaft. don't touch that one. the other should have to be accessed at a slight angle, thats the screw to adjust the shift point for the trans. you have to get your trans adjusted so that you know it is shifting.when the car is new,or if you are new to the car it may take some time to get the setting right. it takes a little time and patience. try to start by turning the adjustment screw in all the way, then back it out about 6 full turns. from there, run the car in a straight line for about 20 feet or so on throttle. if you don't here the car shift, adjust the screw and turn it out or to the left only about 1/8th of a turn at a time.try the car again in a straight line after the adjustment. keep on doing this until you get the car to shift. once you get the car to shift, you can then adjust it according to how big of an area you are running. for a larger area you can set it to shift later, and for a smaller area,shift earlier. hope this helps!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMIKE
    UNSULLIED SPY- is the car wheelspinnging loads an its hard to get some speed, if so i have that same problem, ive beed told to get foam tires..
    I've got foams on mine, and the wheels don't spin at all when it does this.