Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pros/Cons-4tec

RC Champion

Pros/Cons-4tec

What are the pros and cons of the 4tec? i want to buy one for christmas, but i am still thinking about it... I like the idea of four-wheel-drive, and i have a revo too, so i really like 4WD.
    well, what would you say?

Any help would be appreciated,
    revo_maniack

RC Qualifier
    get a 4tec they are sweet, there is another thread back a bit that asks the same but get one the 3.3 of course, it is a head turner!
    I LOVE MY RIGGED MAXX!

RC Enthusiast
    I agree with tmaxxer83, the 3.3 4tec is a real head turner, but ive only got the 2,5 and that still turns heads,people ask me what car it is, and its very good at getting people's attention cos i live near a college. they love it, i've got 3 people to buy a traxxas but not the 4tec, they said they'll crash it, so they got a jato 3.3... now that moves fast but my lil 4tecc keeps up which they think is down to the mods on it
    i haz got a welll fast 4tec...innit lol

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I've only run mine a short while, and I can already tell that traction is going to be a problem. I've got GRP foams on right now, and I've got some Paragon traction compound coming next week, that should help a lot.

It is very quick at low speeds, just a little blip of the throttle and it scoots around really nicely. It's always great to take it out in public and see the stares you get from people as you peg the throttle, it shifts into second, and is gone.

RC Racer
    Put it this way. I also own a revo 3.3 and love it. I just wanted to go faster. And man is this the car to do it. I have the 4-tec 3.3, and all i have done is broke it in. And this thing is sick. Can't wait to actually tune it. Haven't had time plus its getting cold. Good news is I'm going to Florida for work tomorrow. So ill see what this things really got in her.
    If it doesn't break, your not having fun.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    My stock tires exploded on the 12th tank. and were worn, and i didnt do any donuts. The stock tires wear really fast.

Bashing tire = HPI X pattern belted.
    BAshing on nice asphalt or racing = foam, like Jaco 30mm rear , 28mm front
    40 shore, 42 shore

Heres a vid of mine, that ive modded.
    i didnt had the good tires it was really unstable, had 4 front tires....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRYA_TYoCfk

Fastest i got it yet is 75mph on 20% nitro.
    I need to test with new gearing + 30%, looking for 80mph.

I love it!
    World fastest E-revo 91.2mph / Revo 75mph
    ABmods

RC Racer
    only have 2 tanks on her and i love it. radared it on 2nd tank and got 71mph and it was still climbing. could not wait to open it up.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by triton5150
    only have 2 tanks on her and i love it. radared it on 2nd tank and got 71mph and it was still climbing. could not wait to open it up.
    WOT at 2nd tank.
    ABmods

RC Qualifier
    Gotta go with the X-PATTERN by HPI, they rocked for tires, the best ive found!
    I LOVE MY RIGGED MAXX!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Over_revO
    WOT at 2nd tank.
    i m going to send it to rb mods in a week anyway. so i figure what the heck. if i wasted anything **** fix it. im actually going to have him put a larger piston in it and he replaces all the bearings and the rod so im to to stressed about it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Bigger piston?

He make custom piston sleeves?
    I dont think he do that. I can be wrong....

If you get the biggest mod, it will be a drag mod, with new bearings and his custom conrod.

He will suggest you to get a new piston/sleeve if you want to get better results and a longer lasting mill.
    ABmods

RC Champion
    cool... i am going to take back my tires to the lhs, and they will give me an in-store credit. what would you rather have, proline 40 series moabs on cheyenne wheels, or a niro 4 tec 3.3 for christmas?
    my parents will match a little bit under half of what i have for christmas... or at least they will pay a little under half of what it costs. i have to pay the rest of over half of the price of the thing that i want.
    well thanks!!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If you have access to a wide area with asphalt, definatly get a 4tec 3.3

Even if you dont use it that often, its too hot to drive, the speed is unreal when you begin to drive it harder after the break-in.

I dont regret mine even if i have problem finding area to drive it full speed.
    ABmods

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by triton5150
    Do you mean after break in?
    No more money for rc trucks I got 1:1 truck

RC Champion
    i think he ment during break in..... but wow that thing is fast!
    Spur gear stripping king..... :D

RC Competitor
    Eats tires for lunch!....rubber or foams

RC Champion
    what lasts longer though, rubber, or foam? which would you perfer?
    i am really excited for getting one, i think i will...
    Thanks everyone!'
    R_M

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The rubber will last longer most of time.

But if you tend to do donuts, the rubber tires will explode.

At high speed, the rubber tires will balloon and foam not.

Foam get you better stability than rubber.

But for bashing in parking lots, good rubber tires do the job just fine
    ABmods

RC Champion
    ok thanks for that info...
    i need a break!
    im gonna go drive my revo.
    cya!

RC Champion
    more pros/cons? how about any reccommendations?
    thanks!

RC Competitor
    The car is awesome right out of the box.I personally changed the tires to foams,replaced the stock brake (it's horrible) added sway bars,and replaced the rear belt (it broke at about one gallon of fuel)with the 6mm wide belt from new era models.(they have the brake too).

RC Qualifier
    if ya get one and dont wanna run foams go with
    HPI X-pattern belted tires with good wheels, cheapos crack and brack too easy!, stock up on rear axle carriers shock towers (unless upgrading) The 4tec will not disappoint you or spectators! and the stock brakes are not the greatest! but i would recommend to anyone that can handle a fast car to go with a 4tec! 3.3 of course!
    I LOVE MY RIGGED MAXX!

RC poster
    So what would be a good tire for drifting? I should be getting mine the end of this month and I am looking forward to learning how to drift.

RC Racer
    i want to get a nitro 4-tec 3.3 but i dont have anywhere to run it, its hard to drive my pro .15 4-tec anywhere where i live, but i might still get one if that dumb man hole wasent in the middle of my street it would be easyer to drive on it, its not good to hit it at 50 and flip let alone 70
    E-Maxx,2.5 Rustler, Nitro 4-Tec pro.15

its quite fun to have the 3.3 tec. its blazing quick i found a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng parking lot its still not long enough for me i wish it would quite eating tires for lunch....

RC Champion
    cool... thanks for all of the information, it sounds like this will be a fun little car!!!
    thanks
    R_M

RC Champion
    any more?
    i saw one out of the box at the hobby shop the other day, and this thing was a BEAST! all i could say was WOW.

well thanks!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It really is a beast, the only thing holding me back from running mine is the snow and ice

RC Champion
    i no... if i get one for christmas, i gonna have to wait all of that time (like 3 months) berfore i can even do break-in... oh well, ill keep myself occupied by adjusting and modding it.... plus i got a revo!!!
    peace,

R_M

RC Champion
    what about the breaks? i have heard people say that they are not the greatest, and that there are ways to modify them to work better? have you heard of this?
    thanks!

R_M

RC Racer
    When I got my 4tec, it had been a while since I drove a car that small. (was driving maxx/revo). It takes a little getting used to, but once you do its a blast. It was difficult starting out just because it was so much smaller and it was harder to keep an eye on it! But worth every penny now and very upgradeable.... but it really doesn't need much upgrading@ all

RC Champion
    yeah, i just trying to find ways that i could possibly make it faster, cuz i could race other cars, and neighbors and smoke them...lol =)
    peace,

R_M

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It is tough to keep an eye on it, it's so small and so fast it runs out of sight (and radio range ) very fast.

RC Champion
    cool, that would stink if you were WOT and you lost signal,a dn hit one of thos curb things in the parking lots, and just exploded it(not literally) but totally busted it all up...lol that would be funny to see, but hurt in the wallet.
    thanks!

R_M

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

RC Champion
    wow! nice one!!!lol
    it held up pretty well considering that it was going 70 and nailed a curb...
    was the foam bumper on it when u crashed? if not then that is even more amazing!!!!!
    sweet,

R_M

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That was Over_revO's 4-tec, and I think he had the foam bumper on it. I was actually impressed with it, it hit with an aweful lot of force and while it did some serious damage, if you did that with a Jato there wouldn't be much left

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    sometimes it works out that way. grazed a curb @ 30-40mph and did more damage than that
    Keep spendin $$ and ur still in the way!!

RC Champion
    jeez.. lol wow! half the speed, and did more? you prolly hit it just right, or at a more brittle angle, so that it was aa more effective hit...
    peace,

R_M

RC Champion
    just got her broken in, and third tank after break in, i snapped a rear yoke, and a rear carrier. im gonna replace it tomarrow.
    peace!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast