RC Competitor

brushless gearing recommendations

I put my velineon in my 4tec if someone wants to host my pics of it installed I'll send them and put them up. anyway I havent put in a full battery run yet. the top speed in seemingly about 30 im using 3300mah RS batteries one being a GP pack. im thinking about going lipo. any suggestions about lipo packs that will fit in the tight battery compartment?I have the 84t spur and 28t pinion right now and I want more speed. im thinking smaller spur and bigger pinion right?

RC Qualifier
    Correct. I would probably find the biggest pinion available and the smallest spur available.

The VXL isnt really all that geared towards a TC setup because of its VERY low Kv. You need atleast 6000+ IMO.
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=388232

i have a 69T spur. and a 34 pinion on mine but its not brushless. so i went back to stock gearing. you can use Nitro Tc3 spurs.

RC Qualifier
    Go and try that on a V-Tec. Should be about right.

Quote Originally Posted by OMG_its_KinZee
    Go and try that on a V-Tec. Should be about right.
    i really hope you ment 4-tec
    either way its funny!

RC Qualifier
    VXL'd 4-Tec = V-TEC...

Not a reference to Honda's(maybe you get it...).

RC Competitor
    im actually planning on getting some shocks from a n4tec, they have the new gray plastic bodies. going to build my own darn VXL'd 4tec. Im planning on buying a new mamba motor for it. I was thinking 6900 or 7700 but I was concerned about my batts. oh well if I decide to go lipo I'll only want 2s anyway. I'll be tearing down to do nitro diff upgrade soon. I was running it on stock gearing and it developed a clicking from what I believe to be the rear diff. but it went away. my dad and I figure its just spinning the tires so I figure I have too much torque gearing and not enough speed gearing. what brand gears would you guys recommend I was looking @ RR gears 48p. Uno, what kind of clearance do you have between the motor and front belt? am I the only one who is concerned about this when messing with the gearing?

RC Qualifier
    Losi goes up to 30T and RRP goes to 35T... Just get the cheapest one.

RC Competitor
    yeah now that I think of it, I had heard Losi makes good gears.

RC poster
    One thing you may want to keep in mind is that the adjustability on the motor mount is limited. I discovered this when experimenting with different pinions and spurs. If one or the other is too large it will not allow for proper mesh, can cause serious binding, or may not fit at all. Just a heads up.

RC Competitor
    i read up the thread and saw that someone was already using a 69t spur and 34 t pinion.

Quote Originally Posted by travisz28
    i read up the thread and saw that someone was already using a 69t spur and 34 t pinion.
    That would be me....

RC Champion
    When I still had mine running, I would run 81/20-22 with a 12-13 turn motor and it would always run strong with good power throughout the motors powerband.