RC Champion

finished single speed conv.

just finished the single speed conversion yesterday (due to a stripped gear)
    been trying different gearing out and so far i like the 22 cb and a 58 spur. makes the car controllable for what i do with it.

anybody else do the conversion? if so what ratio's u running?
    been there bought that

RC Qualifier
    I guess you are the only one. I still have the two speed and I am running 16/58 with 5” tall tires on the rear and I am very happy with this.

RC Champion
    wont the singloe speed limit your top end , power etc ?
    drive it like you stole it !!!!!

RC Champion
    with the single speed, depending on your gearing, i noticed u either loose top end or acceleration. i have seen ur video mr bigg and u got a great place to run.
    i live in apartments with speed bumps and the local tracks are short on the straights, and it helps me for what i do.
    been there bought that

RC Champion
    actually, you LOOSE acceleration AND top end. Its not one or the other like changing the spur gear or clutch bell size, its both.

RC Champion
    but when u change the cb and spur gear... as i did. you can gain one back.
    i've been runnin my wifes jato (stock) against mine so i have something to compare it to. that way i have i can see what is actually changin
    been there bought that

RC Champion
    The single speed gear ratio is pretty much right between first and second, so you lose a little bit of off-the-line power and top speed.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianG
    The single speed gear ratio is pretty much right between first and second, so you lose a little bit of off-the-line power and top speed.
    You are right but as forbes said you can change the clutch bell and or spur gear and get one back but you loose even more of the other.

single speed is for a true stadium truck anyway.
    a bit like nobody races a buggy with a 2 spd.

single speed, wheelies and power slides are half the fun of an ST

ive just fitted a new 2.5R and a single speed to mine with the stock (22/58?) gearing and cant wait to try it, i could never get the thing into 2nd before anyway because it needed too much room so halfway between the two should be perfect.

losing a little off the line is a good thing, the 2spd seems to cause a lot of wheel spin since it spools up a lot quicker so the single should make it launch better.
    Im no expert. i just play one on the TRX forums

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    hey forbes, wut engine r u runnin
    Keep spendin $$ and ur still in the way!!

RC Qualifier
    I don't understand why you would lose any acceleration with the single speed. I have used this on my Jato, and the input gear(1st) is the same size for the single speed as it is stock.
    Slash 4X4, Blitz ESE, Motocross, Mtn. Biking

Quote Originally Posted by jatoracer721
    I don't understand why you would lose any acceleration with the single speed. I have used this on my Jato, and the input gear(1st) is the same size for the single speed as it is stock.
    and your dropping a whole lot of rotating mass allowing it to spool up quicker also.

kinda like putting an FOC in a revo or maxx, you really notice the acceleration gain. the first thing i noticed was how much lighter the single speed is.
    Im no expert. i just play one on the TRX forums

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jatoracer721
    On the two speed the gears are.
    1st - 14/32 = 2.28:1
    2nd -17/29 = 1.705:1
    The single speed is 15/31 = 2.06:1 so it is in between 1st and 2nd.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I agree with nitroRCracer, its lighter rotational mass! the jato already has the power to do doughnut spins on pavement, cant it gear up a little? it cant have thwe top end and acceleration for sure, but there is the benefit of weight, and for racing you dont normally need the 65mph of the 3.3.

so is a single speed transmission stronger than stock? I have virtually an extra transmission but some gears are bad and I figure scince it sits in pieces maybe I should try it! and i'd be very convenient to just replace the tranny like that if it has trouble
    I memorized pi to 200 digits!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by I know pi!
    I agree with nitroRCracer, its lighter rotational mass! the jato already has the power to do doughnut spins on pavement, cant it gear up a little? it cant have thwe top end and acceleration for sure, but there is the benefit of weight, and for racing you dont normally need the 65mph of the 3.3.

so is a single speed transmission stronger than stock? I have virtually an extra transmission but some gears are bad and I figure scince it sits in pieces maybe I should try it! and i'd be very convenient to just replace the tranny like that if it has trouble
    I donít know if the single speed is any stronger but I have extra cases so I was thinking of building a second transmission into a single speed so I could just swap them back and forth to see which one I like best.

Personally I like the sound when it shifts into second gear especially when it shifts while on two wheels.