RC Qualifier

I need some sterio help...

I've got a JVC MX-D2T (made in 1996 ) that I bought from a garage sale for $15 and it was one of the best deals I've gotten from a garage sale. It does have a slight problem though, the 3-CD changer doesn't work quite right. After using an external CD player and the AUX port for a few years, I finally decided to dive in and see what it's actually doing in there. When I try to play a CD the laser bounces up and down like it should, but the CD never spins up. I think it's a laser problem because it never locks on to the CD, it just keeps bouncing until it times out and stops. Other then that it works perfectly. Is there something else that might be the problem?

(I did clean off the laser and it still does it.)

*Yes, I know it's "stereo", not "sterio" as the title says. I just had a typo moment.*
    Last edited by emxrks; 11-07-2007 at 08:31 PM.
    Can anyone tell me the best way to dodge the jumping mailbox posts?

RC Champion
    if the cd dosent spin up shouldnt it be the motor that runs it. i would think the cd spins up then the laser searches for a start point.

so your laser going up and down is the laser trying to find that start point...but cant and will not find it cuz the cd isnt spinning

...i think
    Mud-Maxx
    NEU 1515 1.5D MM 4s

RC Qualifier
    All of the players I've seen the laser sees that there is indeed a disk there, then it starts spinning to read it. Open a portable cd player and push the button so it thinks it's shut. Then, push play and see what it does. It works that was on my 5-cd changer too.

RC Qualifier
    first things first if the laser is moving then it is good as long as you can see the light inside the lens..with most cd players the cd spins as the laser tries to read to find the start point, and if it cant find it in about 5 to 15 sec it shuts down...first thing to look at is the belt for the drive and see if it is broken or stretched, if not then your motor is more then likely burnt up...with the prices of cd players now days ($99 and up) it would be cheaper to get a new one...some times the parts you need for older equipment cant be found anymore just because the prices are so good...
    hard to drive wearing a straght jacket...going to get my controller inplanted in my mind so i can drive with just a thought.

RC Qualifier
    I think I killed it. I think the CD player is pointless to try to fix, so I started to put it back together. Everything worked just fine, but when I plugged the cd part back in and set it upright, it decided not to work anymore. The power was turned off, but it was still plugged in. I didn't hear any popping noises or anything so I'm hoping that it didn't blow anything and a good night's rest will fix it.