RC Enthusiast

Question Another thread about tires, sorry...

Hello my American friends !
    Do someone try the Road Rage from Imex.
    They looks great but I'm not sure
    Power is nothing without control...

RC Qualifier
    Imex tires are generally no good. They rip to shreds, and the insert sort of disintegrates, but if you want 2.8" road rages, try the 30 Series.
    Jato 3.3-Drilled Res & Light porting

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you, Mark,
    I can install a 30 series tire on a 2.8" rim ?
    And is that I must understand that 30 series correspond to 2.8", and that 40 series to 3.8" ?
    Last edited by KenHutchinson79; 11-09-2007 at 04:19 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    RR'S 30 series
    Keep spendin $$ and ur still in the way!!

RC Enthusiast
    I'm very sorry, but I don't understand...
    I suppose it's an abbreviation

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    my bad. ProLine Road RagesII
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSFU2&P=7 i tried MANY tire combos and even 1/8 foams. IMO the rr's handled and lasted the best. i havent ran the 30series tho(they werent out the last time i drove my JATO)but i will when i bring the JATO back out
    Last edited by jusleanit; 11-09-2007 at 04:46 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you, Justleanit.
    Have you the answer to my question...?
    I can install a 30 series tire on a 2.8" rim ?
    And is that I must understand that 30 series correspond to 2.8", and that 40 series to 3.8" ?

hi ken !

it's a wide spread tire/wheel problem for many including me
    sometimes you have to try some combinations till you get
    the exact correct one.

myself ordered some from the states and still went wrong in some
    i guess that maybe some of us have to spend some $ before getting
    the desired tire/wheel harmony.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by KenHutchinson79
    Thank you, Justleanit.
    I think he's asking if he can install the 2.8 (30 series) road rages to any 2.8 rim.. I haven't got the new 30 series yet, so i dont know for sure i thought someone had some problems putting them on traxxas rims. But Ken the link below are the recommended rims for the 30 series Road Rage tires. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSFU6&P=7
    Last edited by gogetem; 11-09-2007 at 09:37 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you Gogetem, you have perfectly understand my question. I'm sorry for my poor english...
    Do you know the utility of this item http://www.hot-racing.com/?partnumber=JT107M06&c=180
    Is it precisly for install some rims like the proline ?
    Last edited by KenHutchinson79; 11-09-2007 at 09:54 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Hello my American friends !
    Do someone try the Road Rage from Imex.
    They looks great but I'm not sure
    I havenít had any problems with the IMEX tires but I have had problems with their rims. If you do go with IMEX the dish rims are their strongest. I use the Road Rage on road and the Coyote off road. Keep in mind they are 5" tall so you may want to change you gears.

The 30 series tires will fit on an IMEX 2.8 rim they are 2.67 I think but thatís close enough. Iím not sure how well they would work on a Traxxas rim because of the different bead style.

I have a mod that greatly increases the reliability of the IMEX rims.

This ring is machine out of solid aluminum rod but you may be able to find a piece of pipe that would work. In addition you may be able to make several wraps of small gauge wire and epoxy it in place.

This rim was already broken when I install the brace and it is still working fine. This is a look before the brace.

This is after installation of the brace. As you can see it closed the crack up.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thank you Gogetem, you have perfectly understand my question. I'm sorry for my poor english...
    Do you know the utility of this item http://www.hot-racing.com/?partnumber=JT107M06&c=180
    Is it precisly for install some rims like the proline ?
    Most people use the new era 17mm wheel adapters
    No more money for rc trucks I got 1:1 truck

RC Champion
    those are 17mm hex wheel adapters...they are made so you can use any wheel tire combo that have 17mm hexes (ie: 1/8th scale buggy wheels/tires use 17mm hexes)...most people use the New Era ones, they are a highly recommended company to buy parts from...

here are the New Era 1/8 Off-road Wheel Hub 17mm (<-- click!) adapters...
    which will let you use any 1/8th scale buggy tires/rims combo that have 17mm hexes...
    wheels & wheel/tire combos with 17mm hexes (<-- click!)...
    1/8th scale buggy tires (<-- click!)...
    "Growing OLD is mandatory, Growing UP is optional"

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidS302
    I haven’t had any problems with the IMEX tires but I have had problems with their rims. If you do go with IMEX the dish rims are their strongest. I use the Road Rage on road and the Coyote off road. Keep in mind they are 5" tall so you may want to change you gears.
    How to choose the right gear if we have IMEX 2.8 with Coyote tire ?
    I have 22T/24T clutch bell and 54T/56T/58T spur gears, what is the best combination to compensate this ? I wont try these tires till know what to choose.
    Last edited by Mishal; 11-10-2007 at 12:25 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thank you, Justleanit.
    from my understanding of the site and other guys that have the 30 series, no you cannot use the prolines w/any other rim due to the lip on the tire. its made to work w/proline rims. unless something has changed in the past few weeks. ive shredded a set of imex tires on one pass(bot 30sec). it was a while ago so i dont remember which style it was. i went thru several combos b4 i found a decent set
    Last edited by jusleanit; 11-10-2007 at 12:05 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishal
    How to choose the right gear if we have IMEX 2.8 with Coyote tire ?
    I run a 16T clutch bell and a 58T spur gear because the area I run most is small.

There is no special formula. The larger tires will give more top speed but less take off. You may like it the way it is but if you think your take off is sluggish you can go to a smaller clutch bell or a larger spur gear or both to get more take off.

I have one of every clutch bell and spur gear for the Jato. I have a full set of Revo gears also. They will work on the Jato also but all Revo clutch/spur gears must work together and all Jato clutch/spur gears must work together.

RC Champion
    seeing i have successfully stretched both Pro-Line 2.2 Road Rage II's and 2.2 Moab's on to Traxxas 2.8 wheels, it should be easy to put the 30 series Pro-Line tires on Traxxas 2.8 wheels IMO...

Moab's stretched...

Road Rage II's stretched...

links to larger pics in which you can read the packaging tags (click on magnifying glass)...
    Moab's (<-- click!)...
    Road Rage II's (<-- click!)...
    Last edited by redck1979; 11-10-2007 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redck1979
    seeing i have successfully stretched both Pro-Line 2.2 Road Rage II's and 2.2 Moab's on to Traxxas 2.8 wheels, it should be easy to put the 30 series Pro-Line tires on Traxxas 2.8 wheels IMO...

Moab's stretched......

nice effort redck1979
    need4speed did also stretch the RR IIís over the 2.8Ē ..
    recently I was wondering if itís possible to stretch the Moabís over the stock 2.8Ē ,
    from the picture it appears that the moabs is covering the ( outer edges ) of the wheel,
    have you applied some glue over those edges also ?

RC Qualifier
    Desert JATO it looks like when he stretched the tires that the bead folded back under the lip on the stock rims. I think in that case you would just glue them as normal.

thanks DavidS302 for the quick reply and for your always help

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidS302
    I run a 16T clutch bell and a 58T spur gear because the area I run most is small.

There is no special formula. The larger tires will give more top speed but less take off. You may like it the way it is but if you think your take off is sluggish you can go to a smaller clutch bell or a larger spur gear or both to get more take off.

I have one of every clutch bell and spur gear for the Jato. I have a full set of Revo gears also. They will work on the Jato also but all Revo clutch/spur gears must work together and all Jato clutch/spur gears must work together.
    Thanks David for the nice info .. I will look for Revo gears, many people recommend them.

Guys .. nobody tell us how to stretch your tires ? are you using heat gun or something ?

Thanks

RC Qualifier
    It would probably be a little easier if they were warm but, I installed a set of 2.2 prolines on a IMEX rims without warming the up. It was a little tough so if you have a hair dryer handy I would give that a try. You might even pop the in the oven really low for a few minutes or just lay them out in the sun first.

BTW: The Revo gears would be if you want more top end.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert JATO
    nice effort redck1979
    need4speed did also stretch the RR II’s over the 2.8” ..
    recently I was wondering if it’s possible to stretch the Moab’s over the stock 2.8” ,
    from the picture it appears that the moabs is covering the ( outer edges ) of the wheel,
    have you applied some glue over those edges also ?
    they are glued the normal way, in the bead, but i ended up putting a little too much glue on the first one i did...so just wiped off what i could, and made them look even w/a small bead of glue...the Moabs were the first ones i did because they went on to my older wheels, and i wanted to perfect the technique before i put the Road Rage II's on the new wheels cuz i knew they were going to be the harder of the to to stretch, and didn't want to have glue all over my shiny new wheels...lol...

RC Racer
    Do you have any videos of you running the moabs or the road rages on the 2.8 rims?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by JamNSK31
    Do you have any videos of you running the moabs or the road rages on the 2.8 rims?
    no...don't have a video camera yet...but i think you want to see if they balloon or not correct?...in which they don't...i have the inside of the tires taped twice, which made it kind of a pain to stretch on to the 2.8 wheels, specially w/the Road Rage II's...also the foams that are mounted in the wheels/tires are fro 2.8 wheels...so everything is a pretty tight fit w/them...
    Last edited by redck1979; 11-12-2007 at 01:53 PM.