Thread: jato 2 speed

RC poster

jato 2 speed

hey guys i just bought a jato and i replaced the 2 speed gear twice now i guess it keeps stripping somehow the 2nd time it stripped the whole tranny on me i was wondering why is this happening? also is there much difference between 2 speed and single speed and if i get single is tranny stronger?

RC Competitor
    The single speed is no stronger. Did you lube the gears when you replaced them? What kind of surface are you on?
    Ofna hyper 7 hyper 8 hyper 9
    emaxx
    Rustler

RC Qualifier
    If you are stripping gears you probably have the slipper too tight. If it’s only second you are stripping you may want to lower the shift point a little.
    Last edited by DavidS302; 11-18-2007 at 08:04 PM.

RC poster
    slipper is loose i dont lube the gears but the outer part of 2 speed gear is wats cracking off causing the strip im running on road and grass, dirt how many seconds should it take to shift ? 2 two speed gears cracked and i dont kno y the teeth themselves arnt strippin its the outer part cracking and leaving pieces in tranny is wats causin it too strip jus got jato used yesterday

RC Champion
    If you keep strpping the same gear, you might look at a bent shaft or another chipped gear as the culprit.

If i were you, I might just replace the whole transmission to make sure all the parts are new to start over.

It's just not common to be stripping these gears unless you're running a .21

here's a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Traxxas-Jato...QQcmdZViewItem

RC poster
    ive checked all the gears replaced some but its always the 2 speed gear tht cracks and i unno y

RC poster
    wat about these steel gears on ebay they good?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-Jato-met...ayphotohosting

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think they are too mutch for what they are. But if you are tired of replaceing them go ahead.
    No more money for rc trucks I got 1:1 truck

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by n3.3d_for_sp33d
    I think they are too mutch for what they are. But if you are tired of replaceing them go ahead.
    You would need these if you plan on running that OS.....
    Race Revo, Street Jato

RC poster
    i just dont understand y it is stripping, if i got those gears wouldnt they strip the diff gear cause they dont include a metal diff gear, i like the 2 speed thts y i gotta jato but im tryin to figure out y my 2 speed gear cracks all the time, i am hard on the throttle take off quite aggressive i am aggressive on throttle but so is people i kno they dont have these probs, could my slipper be too tight, and wats a good shift point howmany seconds is good for it to shift

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jato25n33
    You would need these if you plan on running that OS.....
    I will just let my dad's friend make me some steel gears, If he will do it he will only charge the price of materials and shipping.
    No more money for rc trucks I got 1:1 truck

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by n3.3d_for_sp33d
    I will just let my dad's friend make me some steel gears, If he will do it he will only charge the price of materials and shipping.
    is you dads friend a machinist ? thats alot of work make a few sets hehehe i could use one
    drive it like you stole it !!!!!

RC poster
    ye me too hehe

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rockin_jato
    slipper is loose i dont lube the gears but the outer part of 2 speed gear is wats cracking off causing the strip im running on road and grass, dirt how many seconds should it take to shift ? 2 two speed gears cracked and i dont kno y the teeth themselves arnt strippin its the outer part cracking and leaving pieces in tranny is wats causin it too strip jus got jato used yesterday
    If the slipper is loose enough there would no way possible to be stripping the gears. What may have happened is when you stripped them the first time you may not have removed all the little pieces from the broken gears. They have a tendency to stick to the inside walls of the transmission. If they bounced around they would probably ended up jamming between two other gears while you are running.

Those little pieces are very hard to see since they are the same color as the inside of the transmission. If indeed a broken tooth did jam the gears it could have bent a shaft or cracked the housing.

You may not have any damage other than the gears at this time but I recommend you pull the transmission apart and wash it out then inspect it very close to see if you have a bent shaft or crack in the case.

If you ever strip a gear in the future be sure to actually wash out the transmission case before you install the new gears.

RC poster
    thx david i did clean the tranny out im not sure if the shafts are bent i loosened the slipper more again gunna see wat happens hopefully itll work this time and not strip im gunna get a new tranny case and new 2 speed gears and try it again

RC Enthusiast
    Man i went through at least 7 second gears i replaced everything and kept snaping them in half the last thing i did was changed out the slipper and the shift hub sence then i,ve ran about 3 gallons through it and everything seems to be fine now.

a friend of mine is cutting some aluminum gears for my tranny but i dont think i will use them now that it seems to be running fine and i think metal gears could be alittle to much weight for the tranny and mabye even the bearings
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-26-2007 at 01:12 PM. Reason: merge

RC Champion
    it was proboly the hub, the sliper sould only strip 1 unless you are landing jumps a wot, and a tight sliper so it is not taking the strain?????
    www.freewebs.com/davesjato,Axial.28 jato bukuPOWER