what subwoofer to get?

i have some 10 inch jl audio w1's i think and they are pretty good! i use a rf 150watt amp. now i want to outfit my car what subs are the best. ive been out of the loop with that kinda stuff for some time now

RC Qualifier
    how much money you plan on spending...my uncle has 2 12" JL's in is acura with a JL 1800 amp i think...i can ask him about it and see fo sure what they are and how much he spent...its the best sound system ive heard yet//he should be home soon so yea..

yeah my jl's are something else! but jls are out of my budget this time around!

RC Qualifier
    yea. they are good..i think he told me tha he spent around 3 grand fo the amp the subs the deck and and i think 3-way speakers.

30 bills , im in the range of at the most 300

RC Qualifier
    yea hes a big manager for a bank so he gets paid.lol..but yea what size or spec speakers you want u want one 12 a 15 =]=] or 2 10s again?? you want an amp to or are you going to stick with the one you got now?

im thinking of getting a 750 watt rockford

It's underpowered, so no need getting a new woofer when the amp isn't cutting it. For my purposes (sound reproduction, not volume), a 250w@4ohm amp powering a 10" Alpine in a sealed enclosure is slightly underpowered, so two (especially in a ported or open enclosure) are going to require at least 500w for decent performance.
    Six in a row makes it go.

RC Qualifier
    yea your right i didnt really read what he wrote...im guessing it does help if i read/re-read stuff.lol..but yea amps make all the differance.just make sure its not too much..my uncles basment there boxes of burnt subs(all jl audio)b/c he hat to learn himself cuz thats how he is..lol

i dont want a mtx because they cant handel the power that jls can.

RC Qualifier
    4 memphis 15-m3moj012 2000w each @ 2ohms... they pound my ear drums along with 2 memphis mojo mcd4kw amps 2000 watts at 2 ohms or 4000 at 1 ohm.. i havent found any jls that can keep up with this..and brushlessman some mtxs can out thump jls and last longer but you dont see them in most stores because of the price
    hard to drive wearing a straght jacket...going to get my controller inplanted in my mind so i can drive with just a thought.

RC Racer
    the only mtx thats worth getting is the jackhammer jl w7 are the best
    T MAXX .25 gets beat like a bad child

i got some old school mtx road thunders i have had them 4 about 12 years and have had them in 3 differnt cars and thay still rock i got about 100 watts to each one

but once you get mtx's to their rms rateing they go quick. my jls just keep thumping

well i have had mine for 12 years and been slaming them hard i blew my amp so i took them out till i get a new amp i was putting 150 per sub and thay r only rated at 100

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I like rockford fosgate products myself. I have owned many of there products and never had a problem with a single one. I have a 360W RF amp in my trucked bridged so 720W going to two 10" rockford subs
    Werks powered Mugen MBX6T!!!!

RC Qualifier
    I just hooked up a MTX 7500 sledgehammer series 12 (2 ohm) in a ported box to a bazooka BA1300 300 watt rms @ 2ohm. I was VERY impressed with the sound that came out of it. I put it in my daughters car for her birthday, my friend gave her the sub. It was orig. in his ranger and it did not sound very good in a truck, we put it in a 96 grand am and it sounds very good.

Here is the sub:
    http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...id/0/SFV/30046

This sub sounds better than the subs I had in high school, I had 2 orion 12's with a pheonix gold 500 watt amp in a dodge dart.
    Last edited by marojato; 11-28-2007 at 12:37 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by brushlessman
    i dont want a mtx because they cant handel the power that jls can.
    http://www.mtx.com/smoked/index.cfm

but once you get mtx's to their rms rateing they go quick. my jls just keep thumping
    I've run 2 MTX5512s on a 2 channel 2kw amp for over a year now in a 4cu.ft. ported enclosure, still bumping EXTREMELY hard, and clean

Quote Originally Posted by stampede187
    the only mtx thats worth getting is the jackhammer jl w7 are the best
    The Jackhammer is a joke, IMHO, and I'm an MTX fan...

I'm not dissin' on JL, they are great as well...I ran a pair of 10w1s off a 2ch 1200w amp pushing 150 rms through a pair of subs rated at 125 max...
    but they couldn't hit anywhere near as hard as the MTXs, or clean for that matter...

I let numbers speak for me honestly, just look at who is winning competitions and go with what they go with...I've got friends winning with JL 13w7s and friends winning with MTX9512s...just don't go cheap when it comes to your amp or you'll end up frying them (overpowering a sub with clean power will do less damage then underpowering them with dirty power, I ran those same JL10w1s off a 2 channel 1600 watt stage amp in my room for a while before I got my car, since it was extremely clean power (Crown stage amp ftw) I ran no risk of passing DC voltage and frying them...

My 2 MTX5512s are pushing 130+dB with my windows down (meter only read to 130 dB and it was max with the windows open) but it sounds clean as well, which is what really matters.
    $1400 Nitro Rustler and counting :D

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ive always been a pioneer man.Ive got two 800 watt 12" pioneer premiers in a deep bass box with a 1200 watt boss amp bridged over.It hits like you wouldnt believe.When I pull in my apartment complex I can set off every car alarm here,I did that 2 or 3 times untill somebody called the laws on me and I got a noise pollution ticket,lol.I also have a 1 farad capacitor,four 4-way pioneer 6x9`s for the mid range and 2 eyeball tweeters for the highs.I use a 600 watt boss amp for the 6x9`s.Its a great sounding system for fairly cheap.
    About 50mph,Over $1000,very far,Nitro,No you cant!

RC Qualifier
    I set off car alarms like noone's business too, but after 3 years of bumpin' hard...I've never been pulled over or ticketed for noise pollution...

Altho speeding tickets...thats another story :/

I've got pioneer kevlar 6.5" 2way components up front and kevlar 6x9 2 ways in the back...and a pioneer headunit!

I personally don't like the look of the pioneer subs and have never heard them in a vehicle, just in the cardboard box enclosures they have at cartoys/fry's

I don't deal with capacitors either..I just run multiple batteries instead, and when I get the money, high amperage alternator (180A)...I've gotta Optima yellow top right next to my sub amp, and when I get the cash I'm running 2 yellow tops in the rear, and a red top under the hood...I will be good to go power wise

Oh yeah, and I've gotta 1000 watt 4 channel amp that I'll be running the mids/highs off of when I get the alternator
    Last edited by bzzeigler; 11-28-2007 at 01:19 PM.

wow you really dont go cheap on this stuff! im just fine with my rockford 150watt amp and 2 10" jl w1's in sealed boxes.

RC Qualifier
    i have this one in my 2006 taurus
    Klaatu barada nikto

ARE YOU STALKING ME???????!!!!!!!!!!????????
    http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...BAZTUBE&tp=442

my friend got somethin like this in his golf-cart

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    its not too bad I guess ,by no means is it that powerful its 200W RMS. So Im gussing around 400W peak. It would still sound decent though for $120 with a box is a great deal (Depends on how much shipping is). What do you want your sub to do pound and vibrate windows or just add bass to your music

EDIT: you said you have 2 10" subs and a 150W amp, the first thing I would do is if thats a two channel amp bridge it and see if you like the sound of your two 10's better before you spend more money?
    Last edited by cmckella; 11-28-2007 at 06:20 PM.
    Werks powered Mugen MBX6T!!!!

RC Qualifier
    wow you really dont go cheap on this stuff! im just fine with my rockford 150watt amp and 2 10" jl w1's in sealed boxes.
    I went "cheap" on my last vehicle...wasn't happy with the performance...and I'm not completely satisfied with this one either...it lacks the wow factor for me...

I'm doing 6x 6.5" subs and it should be louder/cleaner still...

Heres my stuff
    ...before the suspension work and tires...

Tires and such...
    >>>UNCLEAN<<<

well my jls are old tech. but they can be bridged

RC Qualifier
    Eh...I tried everything to get the most out of my JLs, after the torture I put them through I wanted to keep them for a while longer...

I ended up selling them to a friend and he bumped with them for a while...pulled them from his car to sell it, haven't seen them since...but they were still bumpin' when they got pulled....he had a 1000 watt amp on them...

Only reason I ditched them was because my 1200w amp died on me:ON'T EVER BUY ABSOLUTE CAR AUDIO EQUIPMENT!!:: so I got my 2kw amp and a set of 10" volfenhaug comp subs rated at 800w max each...ran every bit of that 2kw through them, and they were cheap...$50 each...
    Only beef with them was that they literally sounded like a monkey beating on a trashcan, granted you couldn't hear it from the inside but the moment you opened that trunk to show it off....BUZZ BUZZ BUZZZZZZZZ, it was bad...
    They looked nice though

note: this is before my $100 worth the monster cable came in so I was using cheap cables... and I hadn't done my cable management...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...lfenhag013.jpg

Had a nice big magnet on them too...
    Volfenhaug vs. JL 10w1

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...lfenhag002.jpg

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Please keep in mind that you could have the best subs there are and it will still sound bad if you do not use propper wire. The subs are only 1 factor in a good system. I can have a $300 system sounding better than a $1000 one, simply by wiring. Never, never, never run your RCAs next to your power wires!!!
    My truck sees more air than yours!!!

Where the wires being run has a very important roll in most systems, but when it comes to subs its not as crucial. Any good amp(even mid level) has an LP filter built in, so it will eliminate any electrical "noise" that gets into the RCA cables. Even a fuel pump or the cars ignition computer can let noise ride the cables to the amp. The amp then not only amplifies the music, it amplifies the unwanted noise. This is where it doesnt matter so much if you have the good amp.The amp itself filters it so you get your clean bass. A 4 channel amp is more prone to allowing this noise to be amplified. As a general rule, you want to keep RCA cables (in a 4 channel install if it powering your listening speakers(highs and mids)) away from power cables and the cars electrical system as much as possible. If the RCA cables and power cable need to cross any any point, try to do it as close to a 90 degree angle as you can. If its just subs, then you can have the RCA and power cables right next to each other with no ill effects.

yeah i hard wired a friends amp to the batt and when he turned on the amp he herd his power stroke in the background lol!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RCOVERBOARD
    Please keep in mind that you could have the best subs there are and it will still sound bad if you do not use propper wire. The subs are only 1 factor in a good system. I can have a $300 system sounding better than a $1000 one, simply by wiring. Never, never, never run your RCAs next to your power wires!!!
    My system didn't buzz because of electrical interference...it was just cheap subs...The spider plateau thing wasn't properly glued to the voice coil and it caused a bad buzz when vibrating....if I were to take the time to reglue the thing they would make some pretty amazing subs...

Also, you have to make sure EVERYTHING is well grounded or you could get some bad ground loop noise...
    Using high quality power cable and RCAs is important in the fight against interference as well, not just routing.

Easy way to check your route is to start your car, get a handheld am radio, tune it to any station, and run it along where you will run the RCAs...if it gets any interference then some pre-existing lines could inject noise into the signal...best to do the work ahead of time to avoid it...its no fun trying to find the interference :/
    Last edited by bzzeigler; 11-29-2007 at 11:40 PM.