Thread: Jato Brakes

RC Champion

Jato Brakes

Hey i just got my jato yesterday i broke it in today, Anyway when im driving in a strait line and i brake, the car does a 360 and i wont touch the steering..i dont know if i can adjust the brakes to the point where they will lock bolth wheels together or what, i already adjusted the servo so it will bite alittle better on the brakes and you can only do it so much cuz it friction to the pad when you move so i dont know if anyone has done somthing like this to help them lock the wheels better at once... Thank you
    And also when i try to make a U turn (not touching throttle) it takes a big turn to do it like the front wheels arent even touching the ground...they are alittle bit, but it dont look like all the way, if anyone knows how to fix that please let me know thank you..
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-24-2007 at 10:32 PM.

RC Racer
    My Jato does the same thing when I fully hit the brakes... Try not to fully apply the brakes at once and gradually do it. You'll actually reduce the time you need to stop.
    HPI Baja 5B - 23cc Fuelie |Sold: Jato 3.3

RC Champion
    yeah i was doing that..i mean there must be a way to make them laock up so the car dont do a 360? like maybe diffrent springs umm stiffer or looser springs maybe a different servo like the 2055 is a stronger servo or even diff. brake wheele or pads? anyone who has made one of these change and it helped or made it worse please tell me or even if you didnt do it and you know about please tell me. THanks you!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You are spinning out because the rear tires are locking.
    The Jato and other stadium trucks use the rear tires for braking, which is not as effective as using the front tires because the weight of the truck pitches forward on heavy braking. Add the fact that the Jato can reach ballistic speeds and you have some pretty long braking distances! It takes some practice and judicious use of the trigger, but you can stop pretty quickly and keep it straight when slowing down from 50+ mph.
    Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

RC Champion
    yea but im not going near 50 at all if im going like 20 if will turn to the side..there has to be a way to help that? if bolth wheels LOCKED up equely the car should go in a strait line.. if one wheel is locked more than the other it will spin like that im pretty sure.just like when you hit the e break in a real car it goes strait cuz they bolth lock equely
    if one wheele locks more then the other the wheel that doesnt lock all the way up will spin alittle giving way and cause the car to 360
    Last edited by Rich1101; 11-25-2007 at 12:02 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    I myself got rid of the brake spring all together RICH1101 i really feel better having full control of the brakes if i want the rear tires to lock up i just nail the brakes or for a slower stop i just gently apply the breaks. That spring was the first thing i got rid of.

RC Enthusiast
    If you want to try this just remove the spring from the brake adjustment rod and replace it with the little brass tool they give you when you by a replacment glow plug wire you will have to cut it down a bit but trust me it really works slide the brass tool onto the brake adjustment rod put your adjustment dial back on and bring it right to the servo you should see day light between the servo and the brass tool. Next go back to your brake shoes and turn in at very small turns both the allens at the shoes if you turn the passenger rear tire and the brake disk does not turn you went to far grab the disk and wiggle it then turn the tire again if it still does not turn then back off your allens just a bit and spin the tire again the disc should spin if not continue till it does. On mine i have just a little play in the disc but i have full control of my brakes.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich1101
    yea but im not going near 50 at all if im going like 20 if will turn to the side..there has to be a way to help that? if bolth wheels LOCKED up equely the car should go in a strait line.. if one wheel is locked more than the other it will spin like that im pretty sure.just like when you hit the e break in a real car it goes strait cuz they bolth lock equely
    if one wheele locks more then the other the wheel that doesnt lock all the way up will spin alittle giving way and cause the car to 360
    Your cars parking brake applies brakes to both wheels at the same time. RC cars brake by grabbing the driveshaft. The differential may cause uneven braking power depending on the bite of the surface.

Different tires will probably help more than any modification to the brake actuator as your problem is not a lack of braking power at the brake disc.

RC Qualifier
    The brakes donít stop either wheel, they stop the transmission.

To help you understand this put your car on something that lifts both rear wheels off the ground. Now, turn on the car and radio then apply full brake. If you spin one tire the other tire will spin in the opposite direction. This is because of the differential. If you lock the tires the one with the most traction will continue to turn forward but the other tire will turn backward. If the area you are driving in has a high crown it will cause you to spin more than a flat parking lot.

If you apply the brakes hard enough to lock the tires you will most likely spin unless both tires have the exact same amount of traction. Your best bet is to learn to apply the brakes to a point just before they lock up. You may also have better luck with a set of tire that have more traction.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I guess that's the "long version" of what I just said!

RC Qualifier
    Indeed it is.

RC Champion
    yeah you guys are right. i forgot about the differential. if i put thicker oil like 50k would that help? if there a way to make it front brakes that would be quit awsome but i dont think so

ARE YOU STALKING ME???????!!!!!!!!!!????????
    they need a mod so that there disc brakes on all 4 wheels

RC Qualifier
    yeah you guys are right. i forgot about the differential. if i put thicker oil like 50k would that help? if there a way to make it front brakes that would be quit awsome but i dont think so
    I run 50K in the diff and larger tires and that seems to help.