RC Champion

question about stretching tires

i have heard of guys streching 2.2 tires such as road rages over 2.8 rims ................do you glue them ?and also do you cut the tire lip ?and do you use the foams ? thanks just curious
    drive it like you stole it !!!!!

RC Champion
    i never done it but you would think you have to use foam or else your gunna crack your rim and the tire will be flat!

RC Enthusiast
    Yes you use the foams inside the tires. Glue the tires and do not cut the beads. Make sure you clean the tire beads with rubbing alochol and take some sand paper and scuff the rin where the beads go and clean the bead areas on the rims with rubbing alochol. I use Road Rage 2.2 tires on Traxxas 2.8 rims.

RC Champion
    yes the tires are glued, and there are foams used, i even tape the inside of my tires too...the hardest part @ stretching them is getting the tires over the rim and in place....specially if you tape them, ie: i taped each tire twice & stuffed 2.8" foam inserts in mine...when it comes to gluing them just start at one spoke on the rim and put a drop of glue in the bead at the spoke and secure bead of tire there, let it sit, while holding the tire in place until the glue has dried (gluing at the spokes just makes it easier to remember where you have already glued)...then stretch the tire to the next spoke and do the same...keep doing this until you have a spot glued at each spoke, and let the tire sit...i usually start gluing another tire at this point....then once i have one side of each tire glued i go back to the first one and glue in between the spokes where they aren't glued yet...then do the other side of the tires/rims the same way...here is a few picks of 2.2 Pro-Line Moab's & Road Rage II's that i stretched on to stock traxxas 2.8 wheels...

"Growing OLD is mandatory, Growing UP is optional"

RC Champion
    HERE'S MINE http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=IMGP0036.jpg NOT CUTTING. TAPED AND FOAM INSIDE TIRES AND GLUED.
    trx 450r woods rider......

RC Champion
    do the roadrage tires work well...they look kinda flat!

RC Qualifier
    I tried streching road hawgs onto the 2.8 inch rims and it was pretty sad. Seems there was no way to make the tire spin true. It was always lop sided and very flat.
    How many opinions will you fascists censor?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich1101
    do the roadrage tires work well...they look kinda flat!
    they work mint...best tires for road use IMO...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by robert_s
    I tried streching road hawgs onto the 2.8 inch rims and it was pretty sad. Seems there was no way to make the tire spin true. It was always lop sided and very flat.
    you have to true them up by spinning them by hand and evening them up by centering them to the rim.
    trx 450r woods rider......

RC Enthusiast
    What do you mean by tape?

RC Champion
    taping the the tires keeps the tires from ballooning...you take the tires and turn them inside out and then tape the inside of the tire (where tread would normally face out)...check out Misbehavin' RC's article on taping tires, and there is allot of other great r/c related info on the site as well...Taping The Tires (<-- click!)...
    Last edited by redck1979; 11-27-2007 at 07:15 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks redck1979

RC Qualifier
    I Just Finished Doing My Sand Paws 2.2s On 2.8s And They Are Sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I started JATO all others are IMITATORS!

RC Enthusiast
    Here's another question along the same lines, will a set of the new 30 series Proline Bowties or Road Rages fit on Traxxas 2.8 Wheels? Size wise I would say they would, but what about the bead area since the TRX 2.8's have a 1/8 scale type bead.
    Remember,they are just toy trucks, kinda.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY-JATO #1
    I Just Finished Doing My Sand Paws 2.2s On 2.8s And They Are Sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    can we get some pics please?
    Spur gear stripping king..... :D

RC Qualifier
    I tried this trick a couple nights ago. I put a set of Pro-line Dirt Dog 2's on a set of stock 2.8 rims.

Definitely had to square them up as you're putting them in there. It's kind of easy for the foam to get bunched up.

Mark

RC Qualifier
    why cant proline just help us out and make 2.8 tires?gosh

RC Qualifier
    they do, the 30 series, but the traxxas 2.8" bead is 1/8th style, Proline's is the standard style.
    Jato 3.3-Drilled Res & Light porting

RC Qualifier
    I started JATO all others are IMITATORS!