RC Racer

stupid question about Resonators

Ok ive been in this hobby for 4 years now.. So dont pick on me if this is a stupid question .... but when it comes to my resonator on my jato. Whats is this so called "stinger" Or "stinger mod" that requires fabrication or drilling out of the pipe . Could some one explain it for me thanks a bunch and do you need a part?
    Jato 3.3
    1/16th slash vxl

RC Champion
    The stinger is the little tube that the exhaust comes out of the pipe from. and the mod is just drilling the hole in the stinger to about 15/64. that makes the hole bigger than stock so the exhaust can get out of the pipe easier, creating more power.

RC Champion
    its the easiest & cheapest mod to increase performance...simply buy a drill bit 13/64ths, or some use even 15/64ths...and drill out the stinger (where exhaust smoke comes out of) with drill bit by hand, use vise grips or something similar to turn the bit so you don't damage the pipe...then re-tune engine...what it does is allow more air flow to go through the engine yielding higher performance...but decreases back pressure slightly, so you'll want to richen your HSN a little more than you usually run it, hence the re-tune mentioned earlier...
    "Growing OLD is mandatory, Growing UP is optional"

RC Qualifier
    Guys, I'm curious. Don't you think that Traxxas engineers have experimented with different size pipes, inlets, headers, configuration, cones and stinger sizes?

I would think they literally have dynoed each setup.

Not flaming the idea but it just seems to me that if Traxxas could boast more HP or torque, surely they would have opened up the hole themselves, no?

Just wondering.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Orangecrush
    Guys, I'm curious. Don't you think that Traxxas engineers have experimented with different size pipes, inlets, headers, configuration, cones and stinger sizes?

I would think they literally have dynoed each setup.

Not flaming the idea but it just seems to me that if Traxxas could boast more HP or torque, surely they would have opened up the hole themselves, no?

Just wondering.

Mark
    Yes and no. Regardless of the skill levels Traxxas puts on all their cars, they have to keep in mind that noone pays attention to that, so they produce a vehicle that will be user friendly and not a super hopped up speed demon, that sucks down so much fuel its going out of style. Thats the job of the consumer. Plus, they have to bear in mind cost (this is pertaining to everything on every truck) to produce either a base model or one that has the best of everything. Just like in 1:1 cars. Modifying and upgradeing is also what makes this a hobby, and not just a toy.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by icepick832
    Yes and no. Regardless of the skill levels Traxxas puts on all their cars, they have to keep in mind that noone pays attention to that, so they produce a vehicle that will be user friendly and not a super hopped up speed demon, that sucks down so much fuel its going out of style. Thats the job of the consumer. Plus, they have to bear in mind cost (this is pertaining to everything on every truck) to produce either a base model or one that has the best of everything. Just like in 1:1 cars. Modifying and upgradeing is also what makes this a hobby, and not just a toy.
    ALSO KEEP IN MIND THE PIPE IS ROAR LEGAL BUT WHEN DRILLED OUT ITS NOT.
    trx 450r woods rider......

RC Enthusiast
    just wondering what you mean by roar legal. i have had nitro cars before but now i have a revo and jato,starting to get serious about the hobby. still doesn't know all the terminology.

RC Champion
    trx 450r woods rider......

RC Enthusiast
    can anyone tell me what the resonator pipe #5541x-b-sc-r is for? And is this a good pipe for the trx 3.3?

I'm thinkin this is for the .15
    Last edited by Gideon; 11-30-2007 at 11:47 PM.

RC Champion
    there is countless of things traxxas can do to make the cars faster..just like how people drill out there piston and sleevs for more air flow, you can say well why dont traxxas do that. there answer is what icepick8 said