Thread: Tranny Switch

RC Champion

Tranny Switch

What is the easlyest you guys set your trannys to swith? mine right now at full rpm it takes about 110 to like 135 to switch that is at factory. i want it to switch sooner i was just woundering what was the earlyest you guys got it to do it at full RPM?

RC Enthusiast
    Do you mean shifting speed?

RC Qualifier
    You can make it shift as early as you want and will not hurt anything.

Some of what you have written in this and your last post leads me to believe you have a tuning problem rather than a transmission problem.

The transmission shifts by RPM setting so if your tune is off it will take your car a longer distance to wind up far enough to shift.

I think before you mess with the shift point you need to work on the tuning. Follow the links from an earlier post and actually read the links and try some of the procedures.

Quote Originally Posted by redck1979
    as a general "rule of thumb" when tuning and you lean out your HSN, you have to richen your LSN...this is because when you lean out the HSN it restricts the flow of fuel to the LSN, hence you have to richen the LSN to maintain a proper air/fuel mixture & reliable idle...and same applies when when you richen your HSN, but (opposite direction) you lean out the LSN to maintain the proper air/fuel mixture...so w/that said always remember reset carb to factory settings (<-- Click!) when your tune is way off and start re-tuning from there...in the following links there are "tuning guides" for nitro engines...they have really good info in them to aid you in the tuning process...and as for tuning yes the 2.5 & 2.5R & 3.3 are all tuned the same way...incase anyone was wondering...and always begin tuning after you have run through 1/2 of a tank of fuel to ensure the engine is at normal operating temp, and to prevent the dreaded 1/2 tank lean bogging...use a temp gauge for double checking your tune (if one is available, i find the Duratrax FlashPiont (<-- click!) works very well)...and DO NOT tune for a specific temp...ONLY use the temp gauge to make sure you stay UNDER 270 degrees...(Click! -->) Tuning Guide #1, Tuning Guide #2 & Tuning Guide #3 (<-- Click!)...and finally here is another usefull tip, you can "read" your glow plugs to verify if your tune is good or not...and as for "reading glow plugs"...you should do it after you have ran 4-5 tanks on a fresh plug...then take it out and "read" it...here is some more info on reading glow plugs (<-- click!) with illustrations...and it would be a good idea to bookmark these links for future reference incase you need them, they have allot of great info in them...the last one even goes through finding air leaks and getting that last percentage of the "perfect" tune on the second page of it...good luck!!!...

RC Champion
    I think he saying it's changing gears on him at like 110 to 135 feet lol
    V-Spec Revo, UE EXT Thunder SM

RC Champion
    yes thats what im saying, and also they say if you loosen the screw to much it will come out and the spring will fall out, so im asking what was the soonest you got it to switch feet wise at a good tune

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich1101
    yes thats what im saying, and also they say if you loosen the screw to much it will come out and the spring will fall out, so im asking what was the soonest you got it to switch feet wise at a good tune
    I understood what you were saying. I have had mine switch in about 20 feet and yes if you loosen the screw too much it will fall out. If you are backing the screw out and not seeing the shift point change it's probably the fact that your tuning is off.

The fact that your car runs and doesn't die and has smoke doesn't mean it's tuned properly.

Let me try this another way. Does your car seem to get up to a certain speed the get a little flat (take too long to shift) and run that way for a while before it shifts then switch into second and take off again?

RC Champion
    No it doesnt..im at like 6 tanks after break in and i only got it to switch like three time because i was at a park and i was driving on a straitaway that was like 200 feet. the other tanks im driving at my house my drive way is about 100 feet so i cant realy get it to switch with in that..i didnt play with the screw yet..well i did a tiny bit i just put the allen in there and see how it turnd..it seems that the screw turns easy without any muscle at all unless i didnt have the allen in the screw i dont know? but yeah i want it to switch into second at about 55 feet alittle more

RC Champion
    check your tune once that is set right, you can set to anything you want but I would not change it it would hurt the acceleration.

RC Qualifier
    Try and get a video if you can. That will help a lot because I still think your tune is off. If you are too rich it will take the car longer (time and distance) to get up enough RPM to shift.

RC Champion
    you also mentioned you have only ran @ 6 tanks of fuel since after the break in process...these engines "wake up" after around 1/4 to 1/2 gallon of fuel being ran through them...so it is very common for it to act weired until it "wakes up"...your tune may be a little two rich, not allowing the engine get up to the correct rpms it needs to to make the switch to 2nd gear...try leaning out the HSN 1/8th turn then re-tune the LSN using the pinch test...the 3rd link in DavidS302's post where he quoted me earlier goes over the tuning process very well...this should get your rpms up enough to engage the switch into second gear...that is one of the best tuning articles i have come across on the internet...but like i said earlier the more fuel you run through these engines, the better they seem to run...
    "Growing OLD is mandatory, Growing UP is optional"

RC Champion
    yeah thanks for the help..tuning the HSN i get it pretty well, its just the LSN that kinda get me alittle angry trying to get it right..it seems i can never get it to rev up and die in 3 seconds... it just dies in like 1 and a half seconds...the thing is that i think im running to rich but my LSN will die in 1 second, wich means im too lean..so if my LSN is out like a half millimeter from flush and it still dies in 1 sec. with no rev what do i do??? and my pipe is spitting out a good amount of blue smoke and my temps are from 230 to like 265, thats where i like them to stay around...
    Last edited by Rich1101; 11-28-2007 at 09:38 PM.

RC Champion
    The lsn is fine tune for how the car acts not just the test
    www.freewebs.com/davesjato,Axial.28 jato bukuPOWER

Traxxas Marshal
    If you're LSN is that lean, Rich1101, I'd set the engine back to the factory settings and retune. 1 second is way too quick! After you've got her back to factory specs, tune the HSN first... then adjust the idle... then adjust the LSN. After that's set, go back and check the HSN's- retune if needed. You may or may not have to mess with the HSN.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle