Thread: single speed

RC poster

single speed

hey I was wondering if there is a way to make the transmition stay in one gear without a conversion kit

RC Champion
    You should be able to remove the first gear and OWB and then somehow secure the centrifugal clutch to second gear. Not sure exactly how as I've never done it since the single speed conversion is available.

RC Racer
    just set the shift time super late/early depending on which gear you want
    IProtestAgainstThisSignatureLimitation

RC Qualifier
    why dont u just get the kit

RC Competitor
    Yes you will need to take out the first gear, but i left in the ow bearing to take up space.

then remove the set screw and spring from the shift adjustment.

next push the locking arm out and drill a 2mm hole into the body of the second speed housing.

then with the arm out insert a set screw in the hole and the arm will stay out and will be in second gear.

i would send pics but the trans is in the truck now.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jatorunner92
    why dont u just get the kit
    because I have a friend that has gone through about 4 of them in a short period of time

and how far can the set screw for the shift timer be screwed out before it falls out?

RC Champion
    you just adjust the shifter all the way one direction or the other. just make sure you do it the RIGHT way, lol. i got my 18TM in my jato and adjusted the shift screw so that i THOUGHT that it was locked in 1st gear, which it needs to be during break in. but, i had it locked in 2nd gear, and was really disapointed with the performance, so decided to try to get it to shift good and realized i had it in 2nd gear, put it in 1st, and my jaw dropped i was soo happy! lol, dont do that. but its OK to just do it almost all the way in either direction.
    WARNING:exposure to nitro can lead to drain bamage

Quote Originally Posted by Jew Style
    because I have a friend that has gone through about 4 of them in a short period of time

and how far can the set screw for the shift timer be screwed out before it falls out?
    sounds like he's doing something wrong. I'd say the slipper is probably too tight.

I love the single speed conv, it makes it a true ST.
    i didnt like the 2spd in an ST one bit.
    Im no expert. i just play one on the TRX forums

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    the single speed is pretty cheap, I'm gonna put onein when my jato has transmission problems again. I can help with single speed in a bit I'm gonna make a jato ramp
    I memorized pi to 200 digits!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitr...xpld-trans.pdf
    you can glue the 2nd gear clutch (part 5590), or remove it and the 2nd speed gear 5585 with a spacer like the one included in part #5566 so that the little gear in part #5579 will not freeley fall out, or if youre desperate you can glue the gear to the shaft and/or use electrical or duct tape on the shaft so it will also not fall out.

the conversion is better because you will have the right gear ratio for low end and top end, if you make it single speed thisway itll help to have your transmission apart and refer to the exploided views, you can zoom in if needed
    I memorized pi to 200 digits!