Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: speed mods?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by tracetidwell
    I noticed that ofna makes a direct fit .26 to replace 3.3 will this work on the tech with some grindage. I think this is a speed mod or well along those lines.
    i just put the ofna force .26 carb into my jato the other night! it fit directly in no mod needed!the only problem was, i run an integy alluminum 3 shoe clutch for the tmaxx and the carb rubbed the fly wheel! theres very little clearance,so u have to watch out! havent got a chance to run it yet,cause its been raining! i did start it up and it ran good just idleing!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by tracetidwell
    Not just the carb, I noticed the carb retails for 100 and the whole motor just a bit more which I guess we can credit to mass production but also I think it will be worth the cash. Not just mod the .21 traxxas but mod the .26 ofna or buy it modded cause the case is designed to fit a .21. Its just a thought!
    http://www.ofna.com/eng-picco-26.html

It can fit with a custom mount.
    But it is not designed for onroad.

The RPM is good for a .26, but it have too much torque for an 4tec and not enought rpm.

And too much torque versus high rpm power...
    World fastest E-revo 91.2mph / Revo 75mph
    ABmods

RC Champion
    i hope that i get a tec... it is gonna be sweet!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revo_rules
    FYI: The light flywheel made by Robinson Racing for the 3.3 Revo fits the 3.3 4-tec as well. dont know about much HP gains but it is lighter & Vented
    Hopefully it is larger around than the stock flywheel, the stock flywheel is as heavy as it is to smooth out the idle, if you make it lighter it won't idle as well. If it is lighter, it will have to have a larger diameter to make for more rotational mass to compensate.

RC Champion
    that is true... i would have to think about it later on though... if i get super interested in all-out speed, then i will try that maybe, but not for sure, because it is not definately needed right away... and i could spend the cash on other more effective parts... thanks for advise!!!

R_M

RC Enthusiast

rr flywheel

I have the Lighten flywheel on mine, and it reaches the RPMs very Quik now compared to the stock one. I let a guy that races SERPENTS in pro class drive it yesterday. He was very amazed how fast it got up to speed. compared to his stock 4 tec he has

RC Champion
    kk, then maybe i will have to try it... maybe. sounds like it may prolly help... i cant believe that it is almost Christmas(that i swhat celebrate) it is 2 days away!! including today... well peace!

R_M

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revo_rules
    I have the Lighten flywheel on mine, and it reaches the RPMs very Quik now compared to the stock one. I let a guy that races SERPENTS in pro class drive it yesterday. He was very amazed how fast it got up to speed. compared to his stock 4 tec he has
    Does it idle OK? How much weight could you take off without sacrificing a smooth idle?

RC Enthusiast

Flywheel

Yes it Idles nice and smooth. lots of power out of the hole.

I just got threw doing a port and polish job to the crank and the piston sleeve can not wait to go run it, It sounds mean at idle.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Very nice, could be worth taking one of my flywheels to a lathe and see how it works.

A port and polish on a 3.3 makes a mean engine, I opened up one of my 2.5s and it made a huge difference. I was amazed how much you have to take out of the crank though....

RC Champion
    if i did end up porting one of my sleeves, then it would have to be one of my already dead sleeves and cranks for practice, incase of if i messed it up, i wouldnt ruin a perfectly good engine... and if i was successfull, then i would try and do a re-pinching method, and then use a ported sleeve that has been re-pinched out of an old engine, and then make it come alive again with more power!!! also, can you vent a stock flywheel with like a dremel to make it so that it spins faster, makes the car lighter, smoother idle, and faster speeds, with the flywheel spinning creating airflow to the engine while it spins? or would you rather just buy the vented ones that are already vented and stuff?
    well peace,

R_M

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The flywheel is not gonna give a worthy difference (imo ), the idle will suffer if its too light.

If you were close from here i could repinch your sleeve, ive done over 8 repinch successfuly.
    ABmods

RC Champion
    how do you do it? i havent started yet cuz i dont hav a dremel. how long will the engine run well after re-pinching?
    merry christmas!!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It depend how tight the repinch is, but id say it add at least a gallon or 2 before another repinch. and the power is good and run reliably.

Its a simple progress but it can happen that it is not working, if the sleeve repinch oval. You need a even source of heat to repinch(the way i do it)
    ABmods

RC Champion
    could you PM me the process you use to re-pinch? or just post it? i would appreciate it, because then i can do it once my engine dies, and i dont have to send it to you...
    peace, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

R_M

RC Enthusiast
    do you have a pipe????? that will help a little bit
    /_l,[____],l
    l---L -olllllllo-
    ()_) ()_)=0=)_)

RC Enthusiast
    hey you stole my signaturethat is not knice
    merry christmas
    /_l,[____],l
    l---L -olllllllo-
    ()_) ()_)=0=)_)

RC Racer
    if i understand the dremeling on your flywheel thing, i wouldn't do it. There is too much of a chance that the flywheel will become out of balance, and i couldn't imagine how that would make your engine run

RC Champion
    very true...lol that would bew kinda fun seeing the engine at hight rpms with an un-even flywheel... it would be shaking like crazy!!! lol.... funny to see tho..
    peace!!!
    and i didnt steal your sig!!!!!!!! i have had it for like 6 months now!!!! lol i dont care tho...lol
    well, peace and thanks for the input... keep it up@@!!!!

R_M

RC Qualifier
    G'Day, I have just ordered a New 4 tec and should be here within the next week.

I was the one that started the thread off about the Ofna .26 carb in the Jato section a few months back, It's good to see that it is getting around.

I am after high top end speeds from the 4 tec and was trying to find out the best ways of getting there without any engine modifications (trying to save money)

So I sill have my .26 Carb,
    I have ordered a back plate to eliminated the EZ unit,
    I have a dual chamber pipe left over from the 3.3 Jato or is it better to drill out the original stinger?

Is there anything else that I can do to get higher speeds apart from engine work?

Thanks.
    WWW.NWRCCC.COM

nwrccc secretary

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Congrats on the purchase!

I would get foam tires to eliminate ballooning that can cause spinout.

It will need sometimes for the car itself to break-in, belts are tight when new and need some running to be loose, you will find out that pushing the car with your hand it will brake itself.... .... belts..

Mine now roll so easy compared to new.

May be a set of high quality ceramic bearing for the car. (i dont have one but i assume it would help.)

install the wider gearing from traxxas.

I dont see anything else to help speed without engine work...
    ABmods

RC Racer
    I agree with Over Revo that without engine work, your speed runs are going to be more minimal with just bolt on stuff like bearings and gearing over modding the motor and nothing else done to it.

RC Qualifier
    Ok, Thanks.

I had a look at RB Mods page. I see that they charge $200+ for there full out mods.

What do they acually do. I take it they do the sleave and conrod but is that it?

What doese this do for you motor?(apart from extra power), Doese it increase the revs at all?

Thanks.
    WWW.NWRCCC.COM

nwrccc secretary

RC Racer
    For the RBmods $225 3.3 mod gets you:

Ported sleeve
    drilled and puttied crankshaft
    ceramic roller bearings
    newfound port timing
    RBmods "hotrod" which is also lighter than the stock rod by 7 grams

With the lighter rotating assembly, YES the 3.3 revs very fast and higher than stock.

With you already knowing about using the .26 carb, that just adds even more power but I would suggest that you use a larger header like a big block one along with a big block fusion muffler to unleash even more power.

I too am purchasing a brand new 4-tec soon and am going for the same RBmods 3.3 engine mods but I am using a 9mm carburetor from a RB Concepts Xenon .21 engine. It is noticeably bigger than the .26 carb too and is a composite carb which dissipates heat a little better than an aluminum carb. I also will use the 15 tooth drive gears for the front and rear drives along with the optional gearing since the plan is to use the JACO 1/10th scale wheel/tires and no 1/8th scale stuff this time around. Rick from RB told me that 30% Nitro should net me some serious speeds but that has yet to be determined since I am one of the lone rangers with his 3.3 for high speeds.......that I know of. I will add that you won't be sorry for having a 3.3 modded by any of the engine modders out there. The edge that RBmods has to me is that the "hotrod" is definately lighter than stock and stronger. I've weighed a stock rod to the "hotrod" and is was right on 7 grams lighter. I hope to have some results by February.

Definately keep us posted on how well your project turns out.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the info. Apreciated.

Do you have any links to where you are getting the larger header pipe and Fushion pipe from.

Is it worth getting the Fushion pipe or just drill the stinger out or use a Dual chamber pipe?

I am currently using Massive mods 25% Fuel with all my other motors and also makes good power compared to other brands.

Do you have any idea on how long it take for RB Mods to do the work on the motor. ( from the time you send it off to the time you recieve it back)?
    WWW.NWRCCC.COM

nwrccc secretary

RC Racer
    I sent Rick a brand new 3.3 on a Monday and got it back by that Friday. He said that he has cranks and sleeves in stock and from over the phone, once you tell him what your goal is i.e. drag racer, top end speed or whatever is when he will take a crank and sleeve and go to work.

The small block stinger cannot be drilled larger than a stock big block pipe from the ones that I have seen so that is why I use the big block fusion pipe since it was designed for a big block engine on a 1/10th scale car.

I use these:

http://www.schumacher-rc.com

type in "pipe" in the search section and look at the U2557 muffler. That is the one to get.

AND

XTM header. Yes it will fit any small block as long as you use a small block header adapter ti fit inside the big block header.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/149705.asp

RC Qualifier
    Thanks,

I take it that the pipe is pretty loud?

I can't say that I have heard of a small block header adapter ti.
    I take it is simular to the exhust couplers used on most .21 engines?

I have sent an e mail off to RB Mods.
    So basically I can keep the 3.3 motor here and for the $225 he will send me the modified sleeve, crank and rod.
    So I take it he doen't need the motor housing at all?

It is just that i am from Australia and it could take a while if I have to send over the motor and then wait for him to do the work and send it back.
    WWW.NWRCCC.COM

nwrccc secretary

RC Racer
    he needs your motor or another one if timing in the block is done but you can ask for just the parts too and not have to send you motor in.

Yes that pipe is loud and proud but it works great. The small block adapter that I speak of is take a busted up small block header and cut the flange off of it and press fit it into the big block flange. I opened the small block flange to match the opening of the big block and all has been great since.

RC Qualifier
    Ok, Thanks.
    I will send my complete new motor up to him when it arrives.
    It shouldn't matter if the motor is brand new, not run in should it?

It would also be good if I could find a good pipe that will allow it to breath proplerly with this mod done but not be too loud.
    WWW.NWRCCC.COM

nwrccc secretary

RC Enthusiast
    can anyone please tell me were to get a .26 carb. i talked to the guys over at nitro house they said they had one and sent it to me but it was way to big even after i told them that i didnt want a picco carb i think that is what they sent me.

RC Qualifier
    Kyosho also has a .26 carb that is a direct fit into the 3.3 carb.

I have sent a PM with more info.
    WWW.NWRCCC.COM

nwrccc secretary

RC Champion
    Thanks for all the input!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Lookie what santa brung me!!!

LINK: http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...07#post3108707

RC Champion
    any more ideas? although i already am VERY impressed with the speeds, and performance that it is already packing...
    cya!

RC Champion
    and 2.5 pwnage, it is okay, i understand. i think i was just having a rough day i think... sorry for getting mad...
    cya!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12