RC Racer

Considering Purchasing A Jato

I'm new to the sport and I bought my first real RC Truck about a month ago.....a REVO. So far its been awesome. I've just been playing on dirt hills on empty lots and what-not....no racing yet except for dogging my cousin who also has a REVO. Anyway, for as much as I love the REVO, I'd also like to have a secondary vehicle that is REALLY FAST, but can also take a little abuse off-road. To that end, I'm considering purchasing a JATO. In other forums I've read on other sites, many people complain that they are difficult to control which in turn makes them not all that fun. You guys own them, please give me some honest insight......

RC Champion
    Sandy, Utah you can find me at the construction bash site a lot
    Well my Jato gave me the onroad bug just a month ago. Going 70 down the nieghborhood It is somewhat fun for offroad but nothing like the revo I would keep a jato onroad it is fun gunning it down hills going 60-70mph and what not scaring people LOL
    Agree with slowenufs sig wheres the new 4 tec?

RC Champion
    It can be difficult to controll as its 2 wheel drive and has a lot of power, but with the right set of tires and some practice, you should be able to control it, but if you dont think fighting to keep it under control is fun, then you might not like it.
    For off road, it can only take the small stuff. small jumps and things like that can be fun, but with bigger jumps its much easier to break parts if it lands wrong. i only drive my jato in short grass, but when i get the chance to drive it where theres lots of dirt and jumps and stuff its really fun. Also when i get a chance to drive it on the road it is also really fun. Like jatodood said, going 60-70 in the neighborhood never gets boring .
    Last edited by cholyoake; 12-26-2007 at 10:17 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It is a great truck for on and off road. You just need different tires, a set for off road and a set for on road. The jato is pretty strong, but it can be stronger. Get rpm bumper, a arms, get jd carbon turnbuckles and pins get a upper chassis support, a lower one too (I know they have a different name but I forgot it now) then your jato will be pretty indestructible. I have seen a video where someone was going about half throttle and ran it into a curb and they didn't break anything.
    No more money for rc trucks I got 1:1 truck

RC Racer
    Does it pretty much do the 65+ right after break-in and a good tune, or does it take any special mods?

RC Champion
    No it will do it after it gets 1/2 gallon though it and a perfect tune you will get the 65 that traxxas claims and you can get this gearing to get it to go 70
    link: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPWF4&P=7
    and this: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHFR5&P=ML
    this is direct bolt on with no mods needed you NEED the 20t robinson racing clutchbell inorder for it too work though, dont make the mistake I made of buying the 17t cb

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPLIII
    Does it pretty much do the 65+ right after break-in and a good tune, or does it take any special mods?
    I don't think it will do 65 out of the box. Maybe with the gearing listed above it might hit 70 but I don't think it does 65 out of the box

RC Champion
    the jato is gr8 all around, the only thing to remebr is... 1/10 scale at 60+ a solid object= 1/10 pieces on the ground...
    any r/c running that fast will break...
    been there bought that

RC Racer
    i only drive mine offroad and love it, with a lot of practice its not that hard to control.
    -Jato2.5
    -Micro-T
    -Redcat Volcano STX (hah)

RC Champion
    i only drive mine offroad and love it,
    I like on road mostly

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think off road running is more fun but I don't get to do it that mutch but I love the street because you get to go fast. Whell the jato is a good truck for on and off road.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by n3.3d_for_sp33d
    I don't think it will do 65 out of the box. Maybe with the gearing listed above it might hit 70 but I don't think it does 65 out of the box
    The guy I deal with at my lhs told me it'll do about 68 out of the box.....probably just trying to make a sale. Still, I'm very tempted.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Whell what ever it does out of the box it is fast. I don't think it will do 65+ out of the box but it might hit 55 - 60 out of the box. Go for it it is a great truck and verry easy to work on. Hop ups are verry easy to get. I give it a 9.5 out of 10

RC Champion
    ya, i got a wing on mine and it helps a lot with more control. just get those couple aftermarket parts and you should be good. occasionally you will break a shock tower. stay away from big aluminum parts like a-arms and shock towers unless you want a 90% metal jato. cuz almost always where there is an aluminum replacement part, it will break the parts around it.
    WARNING:exposure to nitro can lead to drain bamage

RC Champion
    Jatomann, what kind of wing do you have hat helps you with control does the new era wing have more downforce than crowdy pleazer I cant tell because I am not very good at airflow kind of stuff .

n3.3d for sp3.3d,
    what are you talking about it is easy too work on????!!! are you kiddin?!??! It is the hardest 2wd st too work on I have ever seen man. Think of the tranny case replacing, think of replacing the top plate. It is a great truck, stupid fast, powerful etc. but whe it comes too the bench there is where the head ache takes place. I highly disaggree when you said it is easy too work on LOL

c ya.

RC Champion
    i think it is super easy to work on,
    my wife's dinner table can testify i can rip mine apart and back together in no time.
    the trick is to have a wife that nags... u'll get real quick
    been there bought that

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    the jato is awesome, tour first truck should be a revo, then jato the revo has the offroad-ness and jumping. the jato os so fast its amazing everytime! you wil lwant tires like proline moabs pretty soon, from what I've read the anacondas wear fast and die. the moabs will weigh the truck down and give it some traction. I'm running masher 2000s and theyre good also, but more of a dirt tire. if you get these tires tape them so they dont ballon so much
    I memorized pi to 200 digits!

RC Champion
    the jato is an amazing truck, although i think the 3.3 is WAY over powered for it, but thats what makes it such a fun truck IMO...very durable with a few mods, and VERY FAST...does well off-road providing you get some off-road tires on it...brakes are a little weak but the fix is really easy for them...very well rounded truck IMO...just some advice if you do get one, take it slow at first until you get a feel for the trucks power and speed, and braking ability...

and as for it going 65+ mph stock...it will get there IMO, once the engine "wakes up" after 1/2 to 1 gallon of fuel has been ran through it, providing it has a near perfect "racing tune" on it, that is...

oh...i also think the jato is really easy to work on myself too...see...
    Last edited by redck1979; 12-29-2007 at 09:26 PM.
    "Growing OLD is mandatory, Growing UP is optional"

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by jatodood
    Jatomann, what kind of wing do you have hat helps you with control does the new era wing have more downforce than crowdy pleazer I cant tell because I am not very good at airflow kind of stuff .

n3.3d for sp3.3d,
    what are you talking about it is easy too work on????!!! are you kiddin?!??! It is the hardest 2wd st too work on I have ever seen man. Think of the tranny case replacing, think of replacing the top plate. It is a great truck, stupid fast, powerful etc. but whe it comes too the bench there is where the head ache takes place. I highly disaggree when you said it is easy too work on LOL

c ya.
    Whell onece you get use to it and know where all the parts, screws and nuts go it is easy to work on

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    bottome line....go ahead and make that purchase
    Keep spendin $$ and ur still in the way!!