Transmitter upgrade for rusty

Hello guys

It has now come to my attention to upgrade from the standard transmitter that comes with the xl-5 rustler to something better.
    What would you guys recommend?
    Is the TQI transmitter w/tsm worth it? is there anywhere where i can pick it up cheap?
    futaba, Spektrum and airtronics are all good brands but I don't know what to get.
    im looking to spend around 100 USD
    Cheers- Amistry20
    I ask way to many questions

What features are you looking for from your new rx/tx setup? I think the TQi is fine for just bashing but hey everyone as different needs. You can pick up the bluetooth TQi with the TSM receiver on ebay for half of what your budget is. This will also allow you to add telemetry if you choose to do so.
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

Quote Originally Posted by NYbandit33 View Post
    What features are you looking for from your new rx/tx setup? I think the TQi is fine for just bashing but hey everyone as different needs. You can pick up the bluetooth TQi with the TSM receiver on ebay for half of what your budget is. This will also allow you to add telemetry if you choose to do so.
    Plus one on this! It really depends on what you want to do with her. Traxxas radios are a great basher Rx, good range and very durable. Also, there are alot of features kinda hidden since there's not a screen on it. Tactic has a radio that sells for 50 bucks, it's three channel with decent trim adjustments but no where near as sophisticated as the tqi
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

You can purchase the TSM, but for my vehicles, I have the Futuba transmitter and receivers. Great combo. The Futuba transmitter does not work with any Traxxas receivers so i just installed a gyro on each...Same principle as the TSM.

I installed them on my rustler and p4de
    Last edited by lektro; 03-04-2018 at 11:40 AM.
    Choose Life !!!

IMO (having owned all 3 of the major brands + TQi):

youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Racer
    Hello my friend,

I just installed the TQi TSM Link combo radio (part# 6507R) in my monster Rustler. It's the same radio that come with the TRX4 crawler truck. Would suggest to take a look at it on the site. I didn't run it yet but look promising so far. Many options to tune and the Bluetooth link is a plus. Also, with the TSM, no need to install a gyro and it's telemetry ready should you want to explore this area. I am a Spektrum fan for years and I think it's a great combo if you're in the market for a new one. Just be aware that the Traxxas link application on Android 6.0 doesn't work as of today's date. I had to go on a Galaxy Tab3.0 with an old version (4.4) to get it to work. Once working, it's very easy to tune parameters and you can also keep track of 30 models.
    If it don't break, don't fix. No way...

Quote Originally Posted by Stargate360 View Post
    Hello my friend,

I just installed the TQi TSM Link combo radio (part# 6507R) in my monster Rustler. It's the same radio that come with the TRX4 crawler truck. Would suggest to take a look at it on the site. I didn't run it yet but look promising so far. Many options to tune and the Bluetooth link is a plus. Also, with the TSM, no need to install a gyro and it's telemetry ready should you want to explore this area. I am a Spektrum fan for years and I think it's a great combo if you're in the market for a new one. Just be aware that the Traxxas link application on Android 6.0 doesn't work as of today's date. I had to go on a Galaxy Tab3.0 with an old version (4.4) to get it to work. Once working, it's very easy to tune parameters and you can also keep track of 30 models.
    I keep hearing about that update not working, I just did it (new Android phone) and while there was some scared I got it to link up to all 4 of my Traxxas Rx. Could be a fluke, proceed at your own risk

Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    IMO (having owned all 3 of the major brands + TQi):

Your video gave me tones of information
    I was after a radio which also allowed me to adjust how fast the car will go, so i can give it to little kids and inexperienced drivers. (i know about the training mode, but id like to turn that down even more)
    Really i was just after basher features, like the throttle control, steering adjustments and battery voltage.

Thanks for all the responses

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Amistry20 View Post
    Hello guys

It has now come to my attention to upgrade from the standard transmitter that comes with the xl-5 rustler to something better.
    What would you guys recommend?
    Is the TQI transmitter w/tsm worth it? is there anywhere where i can pick it up cheap?
    futaba, Spektrum and airtronics are all good brands but I don't know what to get.
    im looking to spend around 100 USD
    Cheers- Amistry20
    Try flysky fs-gt3b or fs-gt3c for around 50 bucks with receiver. In my opinion there better than Traxxas tx and rx. For around 140 flysky has an upgraded tx and rx with telemetry system. All models mentioned has lcd display and more options than any standard tx/rx combo for your price range. Hope this helps and good luck.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    $25 including shipping for a brand new TQi. They are all over Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3ch-Bluetoo...97.m4902.l9144

Your video gave me tones of information
    I was after a radio which also allowed me to adjust how fast the car will go, so i can give it to little kids and inexperienced drivers. (i know about the training mode, but id like to turn that down even more)
    Really i was just after basher features, like the throttle control, steering adjustments and battery voltage.

Thanks for all the responses
    Cheers! Any of these radios will work to reduce speed, just lower the throttle end point (EPA) to whatever % you want the speed set to.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveg711 View Post
    $25 including shipping for a brand new TQi. They are all over Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3ch-Bluetoo...97.m4902.l9144
    if i were to get that, which reciever will i need to get?

I would look into flysky transmitters and receivers, they're really good for pretty cheap.

RC poster
    if i were to get that, which reciever will i need to get?
    By the time you get the receiver, telemetry system and Bluetooth module your spending alot of money on and average transmitter/receiver but that your choice. If I was you I would do some more research before making a purchase

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

.....You guys have kinda convinced me to go with flysky and after tons of research, they look like a good value for money.
    Im going to go with the flysky fs-gt3b

Thanks for all the help

I'll be honest, I can't stand Flysky radios. They're cheap, poorly constructed, menu sucks, trigger and wheel are not proportional and I've had problems with different radios binding to different Traxxas trucks. I think jimbo74 used to have one and he used to hate on me when I said it sucked. Then one day it broke, and now he agrees with me.

I would never spend money on the FS-GT3B/C.

Here's a comparison I did between the Flysky FSGT3C, Futaba 3PV, and Sanwa MX-V.

http://razorrcblog.blogspot.com/2016...on-review.html
    Last edited by RazorRC22; 03-14-2018 at 03:54 PM.

.....You guys have kinda convinced me to go with flysky and after tons of research, they look like a good value for money.
    Im going to go with the flysky fs-gt3b

Thanks for all the help
    This might be of interest to you:

I know that this thread is old, about a week and a half ago, I was about to buy the Futaba 3Pv, after RazorRC22 convinced me that flysky radio's were rubbish. I just got into a massive crash with my car, destroying the entire front end. I currently dont have the budget anymore to get the futaba 3pv. I really need a new radio with epa, as my servo is going crazy because the traxxas tq radio does not have the function!
    What would you guys recommend as a budget 2.4ghz radio for like $40-$50?
    I know that the tqi is a good option, but is there anything better for the money?

Quick question, i saw this https://traxxas.com/support/Traxxas-...tibility-Guide
    Does anyone know if i will get the basic functions such as epa from the tqi radio if i use the tqi radio with the tq reciever?

RC poster
    Flysky fs-gt5 with bs6 mini reciever. It has AVC+Gyro. 3 settings for all wheel or front and rear steering. Trust me its very worth every penny. I paid 115 bucks Canadian. It's a combo deal too. Oh and it's a 6 channel
    Last edited by Pauldred; 11-23-2019 at 09:06 AM.

Quick question, i saw this https://traxxas.com/support/Traxxas-...tibility-Guide
    Does anyone know if i will get the basic functions such as epa from the tqi radio if i use the tqi radio with the tq reciever?
    You can absolutely set steering end points with the tqi, it's a pita but read the manual and take your time. It can be done.