Thread: Bandit VXL

RC poster

Bandit VXL

Does the VXL-3S ESC need a BEC to power the 2255 upgrade servo?

2255 is rated 6.0V and VXL-3S ESC BEC is 6.0V.

You should be good to go as-is.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/escs/vxl3s
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/servos/2255

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiogaplanet View Post
    2255 is rated 6.0V and VXL-3S ESC BEC is 6.0V.

You should be good to go as-is.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/escs/vxl3s
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/servos/2255
    Thanks!
    Wanted to make sure internal BEC was up to the task.

RC poster
    They need to let first time TSM users know that the vehicle will turn, by itself, in reverse when turned on.

Quote Originally Posted by ToXic U4ia View Post
    Does the VXL-3S ESC need a BEC to power the 2255 upgrade servo?
    The 2055 only kicks out 86oz, so it should not tax the ESC's BEC at all. You could even use a 2075, which has a 125oz and still be fine. If you go any higher that 200oz on your servo, you'll want to look at adding an external BEC, or go with a different ESC.

The core component here is how much amperage the BEC can deliver. Traxxas ESCs only have a 1A BEC, which can handle a servo < 200oz just fine, especially when you are not likely to bind it up, and you are running a servo saver.

If you do decide on an external BEC or new ESC, both normally have adjustable voltages. The higher the voltage, the more torque you will get out of the servo, but the more amperage it will draw. Also, Traxxas RXs are only rated to 6VDC, going higher, even to 6.5VDC can fry them (been there, done that).
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    The 2055 only kicks out 86oz, so it should not tax the ESC's BEC at all. You could even use a 2075, which has a 125oz and still be fine. If you go any higher that 200oz on your servo, you'll want to look at adding an external BEC, or go with a different ESC.

The core component here is how much amperage the BEC can deliver. Traxxas ESCs only have a 1A BEC, which can handle a servo < 200oz just fine, especially when you are not likely to bind it up, and you are running a servo saver.

If you do decide on an external BEC or new ESC, both normally have adjustable voltages. The higher the voltage, the more torque you will get out of the servo, but the more amperage it will draw. Also, Traxxas RXs are only rated to 6VDC, going higher, even to 6.5VDC can fry them (been there, done that).
    They are asking about the Traxxas servo 2255. It's also listed as an accessory for the Bandit VXL. According to Traxxas it should work. Also the VXL-3s has a BEC rated @ 2.5A. Only the ESC for TRX-4's have that 1Amp rating and need the external BEC.

Link to said servo Part #2255.

RC poster
    Got 'er installed, working great!

I was wondering because I have 2 TRX4's. One has the Traxxas BEC, the other a Castle.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    They are asking about the Traxxas servo 2255. It's also listed as an accessory for the Bandit VXL. According to Traxxas it should work. Also the VXL-3s has a BEC rated @ 2.5A. Only the ESC for TRX-4's have that 1Amp rating and need the external BEC.

Link to said servo Part #2255.
    Ah biscuits!!!!

Yup, you are correct sir, thank you very much for the correction and education. Having spent too much time on my TRX4/6 rigs, I have gotten a tad bit of tunnel vision, and failed to do my due diligence before I posted.

Quote Originally Posted by ToXic U4ia View Post
    Got 'er installed, working great!

I was wondering because I have 2 TRX4's. One has the Traxxas BEC, the other a Castle.
    Great to hear!!!
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired