RC poster

Pinion gear change question

I just changed the pinion gear to the larger one that comes with the truck (2wd) and I have not yet run the truck however when I just push It, there seems to be much more resistance than it was with the smaller pinion. Is this normal?

RC Racer
    is the gear mesh set properly? If things are too tight it will cause binding.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC poster
    I am not sure. I tried finding videos on pinion change but no one really talked about how to set the mesh correctly

Whatup Hoyt! And welcome to the forum!! I agree with Trojan, the most likely explanation would be the "mesh" being too tight. There could be other issues at work here, although the first thing you should check is that you have the pinion-to-spur adjustment set correctly. There are some good vids on utube...and you'll learn a lot by reading/gleaning.

Here's a brief version.

There are two screws that mount the motor to the tranny...the lower screw (although you need to loosen both) adjusts the motor's position as well as how close the pinion is located next to the spur gear. You want a close proximity to the spur gear, but you don't want them touching. The spur gears are usually not perfectly round...so when doing this you need to rotate the spur to figure out where the spur is largest and go from there (this is done by rotating the spur and checking for a tiny bit of "play" between the pinion and spur. If you "jiggle" the spur back and forth you should feel a slight amount of movement and a slight clicking sound between the spur and pinion. Make sure you have that slight clicking sound all the way around the spur. You want it as tight as possible WITH the smallest amount of play between the gears. Some people use a small strip of paper between the gears. With this method you put a strip of lined paper between the gears and you mash them together and tighten things down. The paper is supposed to provide a little gap between the gears. Remember to confirm that there is a little "play" all the way around the spur gear (as they are not perfectly circular).

GOOD LUCK, and let us know if you need additional help. Welcome to the forum again.
    "
    MTFBWY

RC poster
    Wow Thanks. That's a great write explaination. I did adjust the motor and I belive I did set enough space between the spur and the pinion however I'll recheck it as I did not know the spur was not perfectly round. Thanks for the welcome.