RC poster

Lightbulb Stampede 4x4 vxl upgrades?

I bought a stampede 4x4 vxl awhile ago and I was wondering what would be some good upgrades for it. I am planning on buying some gtr shocks and maybe aluminum a-arms and aluminum shock towers. Would the extra weight of the aluminum affect it too much while in the air? Also what other upgrades would you suggest?

RC poster
    Also, would there be anything else I should do to make it better for jumping?

RC poster
    I was shopping gtr shocks and now some more questions came up: What spring rating should I get and is there different kinds of shocks for the front and back?

GTR shocks are excellent, much better than the stock ultra shocks. I would not go overboard with the aluminum parts, especially the a-arms. Plastic absorbs energy by breaking or flexing, and aluminum absorbs energy by bending (and in extreme cases snapping). Even if it doesn't bend, it does not absorb the shock as well as plastic does, which may break other parts. If you want stronger a-arms, get the Traxxas upgraded a-arms. (RPM arms would work too, but they are a bit too flexy imo)

The front shock length should be long, and the rear shock length should be xx-long.

For the shock springs, VG Racing makes some pretty stiff springs, but I am not sure about which stiffness to get.
    Last edited by RCWilly; 10-28-2020 at 01:20 PM.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cavemanmatt View Post
    I bought a stampede 4x4 vxl awhile ago and I was wondering what would be some good upgrades for it. I am planning on buying some gtr shocks and maybe aluminum a-arms and aluminum shock towers. Would the extra weight of the aluminum affect it too much while in the air? Also what other upgrades would you suggest?
    It really depends on what you want to do. Every upgrade is for a different aspect of your car and depending on how you drive, where you drive, and even why you drive you will want to get different upgrades. These upgrades can improve power, durability, rigidity, handling, control, scale realism, and reduce weight just to name a few.

Basher: If you are looking to bash then you will probably want as much durability as possible, you can do this by switching your stock parts to ones made out of a stronger material. Some common upgrades include using RPM arms instead of the stock ones, these RPM parts are made of plastic but are more flexible than their counterparts, this allows them to flex in an impact instead of breaking. You can find RPM parts at the link below.
    https://www.rpmrcproducts.com/
    It is also common for people to use aluminum parts in places where the rigidity is favored as it is light and typically very durable. Another upgrade usually seen on bashers is an upgrade to power. Some people do this by switching to a more powerful motor or ESC, others switch to a completely new power system all together. Castle Creations is a company that makes high end brushless systems for a variety of RCs. You can find Castle Creations at the link below.
    https://home.castlecreations.com/
    If you upgrade your power system then you will probably want to upgrade your drive-train, I talk more about this in the Racing/Speed section so make sure to check that out should you plan to.

Stunts/Jumping: So you would like to turn your car into a plane? Well a lot of these upgrades are the same as the Basher section, like switching out plastic parts for stronger plastic or aluminum ones. Another upgrade that is very useful and pretty common for jumping and especially stunts is getting bigger wheels and tires, this allows for more in air control. Now, if you are getting bigger wheels/tires then it would definitely be preferable that you upgrade your power system to compensate. Yet again I would recommend that you use a Castle brushless system (linked above).

Racing/Speed: Is speed in your name? If so then there are some basic upgrades that will really improve the performance of your RC and can potentially lead you to glorious victory! A big thing for racing is keeping the weight down but making your vehicle as stiff as possible. This is most often done by using aluminum and carbon fiber parts wherever possible, but be weary, these parts can be very pricey and can break easily under high impact. Using high performance servos that are fast an have a lot of torque also improves handling which is crucial for high level racing. You can find high end servos from Savox linked below.
    https://www.savoxusa.com/
    Most races have certain requirements on what motors/power systems you can use, but for people that are trying to go as fast as they can there is no limit and upgrading to a better ESC/motor is a really good way to go faster. When going above 40mph your body and it's aerodynamics can actually start to affect performance. If you have that need for speed then you will most likely want to consider replacing your body with one more streamline. The website linked below has an abundance of aerodynamic bodies made specifically for high speeds.
    https://deltaplastikusa.com/collections/speed-run-bodies

Trailing/Crawling: Do you like to take it slow, maybe take in the scenery? When it comes to trailing it's all in the details, it's all about being as realistic as possible. Linked below is a website it is known for having some of the best scale details this side of the hobby.
    https://store.rc4wd.com/
    Chances are that your stock servo isn't going to be strong enough to handle all of that crawling, you might want to get a stronger one. Again, Savox (linked above) is a company that produces high end servos exactly for this reason. When crawling you also want as much weight as low as possible, the best way of doing this is to buy brass parts in replacement for plastic ones to lower the center gravity of your vehicle. These can easily be found on Amazon which is linked below.
    https://www.amazon.com/
    Most of the time the stock power system will be adequate when it comes to trailing, but in the case that you are craving more speed or torque Castle Creations (linked above) also makes sensored brushless systems made specifically for crawling.

Of course I only went over the basics and there is way more to it than just that but a general rule stands no matter what.... Have fun! Mess around with different upgrades and find out what you like, personally I go for upgrades that increase durability because that means less downtime from breaking parts.

I hope this helps!
    Last edited by ElectricPropils; 10-28-2020 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Grammar
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

RC poster
    Sounds good! I mostly use it for bashing around the yard, sometimes I take it to a skate park or on a trail. I’m also working on building some bike/rc jumps at home so when I get those done I’ll definitely be jumping it more.