Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

Question 12mm Wheel extentions for Stampede

I found these wheel extentions for the Pede on Ebay and I was wondering if anyone out there has product tested these and can tell me if they are good, especially when running a Pede with large tires. Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/12MM-HEX-WHEEL-E...QQcmdZViewItem

RC Enthusiast
    Just ordered these on Saturday, should have them in a couple days. I have a few things to fix on my pede and the weather is terrible here right now, but I am going to run them as soon as I can and will let you know how they do.

I asked the same question as you but all I got was alot of people saying they don't think they would be any good. Noone seemed to have any first hand knowledge about how they work out. nbaczek over on the rustler forum put the new Integy widening axles on his vxl rustler and said he loved them. He has run them in 24 degree temps and they are holding up fine (last I saw). They have a 17mm hex on them though, so you have to run different wheels. He got a lot of naysayers to his post, none of whom have any experience with them at all, just speculation.

Before anyone pipes up with a "do a widepede the right way", I already have. I'm running an MM5700 and since I'm not Mario Andretti, it still rolls on occasion. As far as the people saying they make the truck look goofy, if they work who cares. We are a bunch of grown men (mostly) standing out in the street playing with little toy trucks. We look pretty goofy too.

RC Racer
    I don't really need to run them to get a feeling that they aren't a great idea. Those are going to create an excessive moment (force) which will be hard on the caster blocks and an axial load on the bearings which can cause premature failure. I wouldn't be surprised if it pops out your steering blocks. Jumping will exaggerate this and I don't think it will be long before something fails. Let us know how they work for you though... hope I'm wrong

RC Enthusiast
    /\ basically what he's saying is that with the extension of your wheel base you're creating a great force within the car at the joints for every mm you extend the wheelbase, which is the practical definition in the instant of a moment. since no one on here has any personal experience (that have spoken up atleast) i say do some tests

Quote Originally Posted by clbd39
    /\ basically what he's saying is that with the extension of your wheel base you're creating a great force within the car at the joints for every mm you extend the wheelbase, which is the practical definition in the instant of a moment. since no one on here has any personal experience (that have spoken up atleast) i say do some tests
    ^ Agreed, except that it's the track that's being extended, not the wheelbase.

Edit: I wished nbaczek well, though I was concerned. If that makes me a "naysayer" so be it.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-08-2008 at 04:03 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC Enthusiast
    My whole point was that the question that has been asked a couple of times is if anyone has tried them out, and if so, how did they work. Not if anyone "feels" like its a good idea or not. I don't need to go back to Prof. Korchek's statics class to figure out that there will be added stress to the axles,bearings, etc. by moving the wheels farther apart. A moment arm lesson is not needed here. What we want to know is if everything stands up to the stress or not. That's it.

Maybe I should pretend that I'm talking to my wife or her aunt. They'll give you an answer, but its never to the question that you're asking. If I want to know what time dinner is, I ask them how the car is running. That tactic actually improves my odds of finding out when we'll eat. No kidding.

naysayer
    One entry found.

naysayer
    Main Entry: nay·say·er
    Pronunciation: \ˈnā-ˌsā-ər, -ˌser\
    Function: noun
    Date: 1721
    : one who denies, refuses, opposes, or is skeptical or cynical about something — nay–say·ing \-ˌsā-iŋ\ noun

RC Racer
    Well it seems obvious that nobody has tried these since nobody is piping in with their experiences. Since you ordered them, looks like you will be able to answer your own question. Then you can reply back and tell us whether we are full of it or not.

RC Enthusiast
    lol just try it and tell us

RC Enthusiast
    Oh boy!!!! Another useless post full of condescension! Yay! As far as anyone being "full of it", I never said anything like that. In fact, I agreed that the spacers would put more stress on all the parts. I just want to know if they work. If so, great. If not, oh well, I had fun experimenting. I don't look at this as an I'm right/Your wrong issue. Its too bad that you seem to.

Apologies to Sergeantbrewer for the hijack, but it irritates me when people act like this and don't answer the actual question.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by WaWaWeeWa
    Oh boy!!!! Another useless post full of condescension! Yay! As far as anyone being "full of it", I never said anything like that. In fact, I agreed that the spacers would put more stress on all the parts. I just want to know if they work. If so, great. If not, oh well, I had fun experimenting. I don't look at this as an I'm right/Your wrong issue. Its too bad that you seem to.

Apologies to Sergeantbrewer for the hijack, but it irritates me when people act like this and don't answer the actual question.

Dude, you are the only one condescending here. I never said or implied that you said anyone was full of it. That was my own statement. I'm not trying to turn this into a I'm right your wrong kind of thing. I just gave my opinion and you are jumping all over it. You already ordered the parts so you will be in an excellent position to give the feedback you and the OP are looking for.
    Lighten up a bit, its supposed to be a hobby... for fun.

RC Champion

SEEMS LIKE YOU ANSWERED YOUR OWN QUESTION

#1 yes they will work
    #2 no they are not a practical way to widen your vehicle
    MMM is giving new meaning to "Make Em Cry

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Rant: A rant is not a speech or text a well-researched and calm argument, rather rants are typically written in response to provocation.

Rants directly attack an idea, person or an institution, and they very often lack claims that are proven. The attacks are usually personal attacks.

In some cases, there is statistical or concrete information expressed, but the key ideas expressed are what the individual personally feels.
    Why can't we all just get along?
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC Competitor

tried 'em

I HAVE THESE. Haha, I bought them a few weeks ago and they are great!! Well worth it. I also bought the ones that fit the stampede axles and have 14mm hexes to use maxx/revo etc wheels. great product. he makes them himself and no other company that i know of makes these 12mm ones for pedes. my advice? GET EM!

I bought the integy 17mm wheel extension, and i beat the SNOT out of that truck in 30 degree weather, and they are STRONG.

the only thing i don't like is they make the truck look a little over the top wide.
    One mans garbage is another mans ungarbage" -Ricky

RC Champion
    anyone got a pic of a truck with these monsters on it?

seems like 1/2" would have been more practical
    MMM is giving new meaning to "Make Em Cry

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by vxlrocket

the only thing i don't like is they make the truck look a little over the top wide.
    Haha I have the 12mm extensions WITH a widepede conversion on my VXL. Not exactly a scale look but i think it looks awesome.

RC Champion
    I've never seen those particular ones before. They look like a pretty simple design. I've never used wheel extensions before but have done the HPI Nitro Rush Arm conversion as well as the FLM Extended Arm Conversion now. For someone that doesn't want to have to fool with getting longer turnbuckles, tierods, etc, I think the axle extensions are a good thing. They probably do cause a little more wear and tear on bearings and such but so does rough landings from huge air, cartwheels and an occasional mailbox post. Most of us are constantly wrenching on our trucks anyway, so replacing bearings, carriers, and castor blocks isn't that big of a deal, besides they wear with normal use anyway. Best of all, the axle extensions would use stock (or RPM) parts. Personally, I want to have someone do a review on them and just see how they do over time.
    [_] |||||||| [_]

RC Enthusiast
    Finally a couple of answers to the question. Thanks Distress and vxlrocket.

Spacers were in the mail when I got home. Put 'em on and got a run in. They work great. MM5700 with Masher 2K's and a GP3300 does hard turns at full speed on dry pavement without flipping. Does a little drift with the inside rear wheel loosing a little traction for a second, then hooks up and takes off.
    Only mishap this run was glancing off of a parking block. No damage yet, but time will tell. No offroading yet because of all the rain the past few days. More rain coming tonight, so it might be awhile before Stampy takes some hard hits and we see how they hold up to abuse. I'll keep you posted.

As far as looks go, I've got a Subaru Impreza body I just finished. Its a 200mm body (1.5" or so wider than a stock body), so it looks pretty good matched up with the spacers. Pics in a day or two.

As far as this back and forth thing thats going on, I can tell I'm just wasting my breath trying to get a decent answer to a question. I put up with enough BS from my kids, I don't need it during my fun time. Happy trails.

Quote Originally Posted by BUSTITUP
    anyone got a pic of a truck with these monsters on it?

seems like 1/2" would have been more practical

i haven't taken any pics of mine yet, but here's a set of the 17mm integy wheel adapters all hooked up. these pics made me wanna see what it would look like with a set of talons on them.

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=394512
    One mans garbage is another mans ungarbage" -Ricky

RC Competitor
    I ordered these (finally) and installed and so far they rule. I will try to post pictures tonight. In addition I called him to ask questions and he is a pretty cool guy.

RC Enthusiast
    sorry for bringing this back... where are the pics? :P

RC Enthusiast
    Here's some pics from right after I put them and a new body on. I ended up dropping the body a little lower, but was limited by the front bumper.

That last one shows a stock body for reference. The new body is a 200mm Impreza body. Fits pretty good without any wheel well trimming and fills out the wider stance. There's quite a few 200mm possibilities out there to choose from.

I've beat the heck out of Stampy since I put on the extensions with no ill effects from them. No more rolling over during high speed turns on pavement or concrete. Lots of bad landings and some cartwheels that would make Mary Lou Retton jealous, but the axles and bearings are fine. I've since swapped everything over to a Rustler chassis. I still love the Stampede platform, just thought I would try out a Rustler setup for a while.

RC Competitor
    I have installed these extenders and have had no issue with them. They do reduce the flipover and really take a beating. I recomend these to anyone!

Here's some pics from right after I put them and a new body on.
    Yeah; those won't put any extra stress on the pins, arms, casters, or axles...
    99%er

RC Competitor
    I don't need to go back to Prof. Korchek's statics class to figure out that there will be added stress to the axles,bearings, etc. by moving the wheels farther apart.

WaWaWeeWa - Shouldn't Prof. Korcheck be teaching Physics? not statistics. Just kidding... but really, you may have already stated this but I got lost in all the banter going back and forth, do those extensions let you use the stock wheels and talons? or Proline 2.2 rims with Masher 2k's. I am still kinda new at this. How does the Pede look with the stock body? It looks good with your new body on it, but I was not wanting to change bodies yet... thanks for posting the info...
    Wahoo!!!!

RC Competitor
    Same here, nothing broken yet. I actually want something to break to upgrade the weak point, but nothing yet.

I got these from wheelextensions.com same guy plus free shipping. Just be advised, you'll have to grind them off a little to get them to align perfectly with the hole in the axle, but no biggie, I think it was worth it. Good Luck!
    Last edited by RCjesse75; 03-20-2008 at 10:22 PM.
    E-Maxx, Stampede VXL, Stampede and Rustler XL-5

RC Qualifier

Enough Already!

I am so sick of people WHO DON'T OWN THE PRODUCT pontificating about how those extenders will "add stress" to suspension. Blah, blah, blah, who cares? As if "stress" matters or is a bad thing.

Frankly, stress DOESN'T matter if it doesn't degrade performance or durability. The point is not "stress" in an of itself, its about performance and durability.

I have a VXL Rustler and Stampede. I've put these hex extenders on both of them, and previously added aluminum caster blocks and front bearing carriers. I will tell you from direct experience, that stress or no stress, the extenders have had no impact on the durability of my trucks, and have improved handling immensely. I've been using them for about 6 weeks now, and through numerous crashes, barrell rolls, head on collisions with curbs, jumps gone bad, you name it, I have not broken a single part in my front suspension. Isn't that the point?

Honestly, if you don't own the product, stop throwing your misinformed and inaccurate opinion around.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 37centSTAMPede
    WaWaWeeWa - Shouldn't Prof. Korcheck be teaching Physics? not statistics. Just kidding... but really, you may have already stated this but I got lost in all the banter going back and forth, do those extensions let you use the stock wheels and talons? or Proline 2.2 rims with Masher 2k's. I am still kinda new at this. How does the Pede look with the stock body? It looks good with your new body on it, but I was not wanting to change bodies yet... thanks for posting the info...
    Yes, they do. I got them because I was too laze to do a wide-pede extension. Little did I know, I did have to do some grinding on them to get them to fit perfectly (you'll need a file or a Dremel), and its difficult to get the axel pins through, but they work quite well. I wouldn't call them a direct "bolt on" fit, but they work quite well and my overall time investment was certainly less than doing a wide conversion (I did one years ago).

I run them with stock Talons. I didn't want bigger wheels (which is why I got the 12mm hexes), I just wanted a wider stance.

The 12mm hexes do what they are supposed to do.

RC Competitor
    Thanks Cruiser. Sounds like what I need. I am going to try it.
    Wahoo!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser
    I didn't want bigger wheels (which is why I got the 12mm hexes), I just wanted a wider stance.

X2. They have ones with larger hex's, but I wanted to keep my 12mm hex wheels and Masher 2k's. Any wheel with a 12mm hex (stock, RPM, Pro-line, etc) will work with them.

Sorry, I don't have a pic with the stock body on it. I used some different and heavily modified mounts for the Subaru body and have since swapped everything over to a rustler chassis. I don't have a body for the rustler yet, but I have a $5 stock body coming in the mail. When I get it I will snap a pic and send it to you.

RC Enthusiast
    I am so sick of people WHO DON'T OWN THE PRODUCT pontificating about how those extenders will "add stress" to suspension. Blah, blah, blah, who cares? As if "stress" matters or is a bad thing.

Frankly, stress DOESN'T matter if it doesn't degrade performance or durability. The point is not "stress" in an of itself, its about performance and durability.

I have a VXL Rustler and Stampede. I've put these hex extenders on both of them, and previously added aluminum caster blocks and front bearing carriers. I will tell you from direct experience, that stress or no stress, the extenders have had no impact on the durability of my trucks, and have improved handling immensely. I've been using them for about 6 weeks now, and through numerous crashes, barrell rolls, head on collisions with curbs, jumps gone bad, you name it, I have not broken a single part in my front suspension. Isn't that the point?

Honestly, if you don't own the product, stop throwing your misinformed and inaccurate opinion around.

X2,000,000

Wow! Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.
    Stress isn't a bad thing?!? Stress any part enough, and it WILL break. And, yes, broken or bent parts do matter. Maybe not to you, but to most here I think they probably do. See, for everyone who says "yeah, I've never had an issue with these, and they work great," I can find you just as many people who have had major issues with them, and hate them. It all depends on your experience. If you like them, by all means run them. Makes no difference to me. My point was that there are better ways to acheive the same thing, or effect, without further stressing any of your parts. (How many threads have there been here about widening the Stampede? Most of them Don't include extenders, and for a very good reason.) Your point that stress doesn't matter if it doesn't degrade performance is well taken, but a bit off the mark. As you say, "it's about performance and durability." However, stress is the enemy of durability. Stress anything long enough, and it will eventually begin to show the results of that stress.
    I'm out.
    99%er

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TAT2
    Wow! Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.
    Stress isn't a bad thing?!? Stress any part enough, and it WILL break. And, yes, broken or bent parts do matter. Maybe not to you, but to most here I think they probably do. See, for everyone who says "yeah, I've never had an issue with these, and they work great," I can find you just as many people who have had major issues with them, and hate them. It all depends on your experience. If you like them, by all means run them. Makes no difference to me. My point was that there are better ways to acheive the same thing, or effect, without further stressing any of your parts. (How many threads have there been here about widening the Stampede? Most of them Don't include extenders, and for a very good reason.) Your point that stress doesn't matter if it doesn't degrade performance is well taken, but a bit off the mark. As you say, "it's about performance and durability." However, stress is the enemy of durability. Stress anything long enough, and it will eventually begin to show the results of that stress.
    I'm out.
    Once again, I'll make my point:

1) Do you own this product? If not, you're in no position to pontificate about "stress" and its theoretical impact on durability as it relates to this specific product. I own it and have not had any parts failures directly attributable to the hex extenders.

2) Can you point to anyone on this board who owns this product and who directly attibutes a part failure to it? If so post a link. If not ...

I'm still amazed at how people will talk without a command of the facts.

RC Qualifier
    Anyone got a picture of how the wheel attaches to the extenders?
    Authorization Not Required.

Once again, I'll make my point:

1) Do you own this product? If not, you're in no position to pontificate about "stress" and its theoretical impact on durability as it relates to this specific product.
    I'm still amazed at how people will talk without a command of the facts.
    ::YAWN:: And once again I'll say that stress IS the enemy of durability.
    I'm done.
    99%er

But don't take my word for it...
    Searched for a second and found this brief "opinion" from Extreme RC cars: "...others decided to stretch the wheelbase with bearing-stressing hub extenders. As the new generation of trucks is released you'll see all of them using a similar get up to what the ******** has. The long width is achieved with extended arms..."
    99%er

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee
    Anyone got a picture of how the wheel attaches to the extenders?
    Camera is dead right now so no pics, but the end of the extender is a 12mm hex shape with a threaded hole in it. Wheel fits right onto the extender and an allen screw goes through the wheel and threads into the hole in the extender. Real easy and no more hexes and pins falling off and getting lost.

Hey Cruiser, I've had to deal with that same unreasonableness (is that a word? ) a bunch of times before. For some reason they just can't accept it that you can run these without any negative effects. I've even seen where people have said that they "handle like garbage", but lo and behold these same people have never tried them and don't know anyone who has. Even had 1 guy jump down my thoat about the evils of 1:1 wheel spacers.

All we hear about is stress stress stress stress stress stress stress, yet these same people have no qualms about taking an xl-1 (or even an xl-5) stampede or rusty that was built to do what, 30-35mph, and throw a brushless system in it with lipo's and make it go 50, 60, 70 mph. Guess that doesn't put any extra stress on anything.

Never going to convince that kind of person that these are a good product, so the best thing we can do is answer questions from people who are interested in the extenders and relate our actual experiences with them. If they choose to go with them, hopefully they will add their actual experiences with them to the mix.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TAT2
    But don't take my word for it...
    Searched for a second and found this brief "opinion" from Extreme RC cars: "...others decided to stretch the wheelbase with bearing-stressing hub extenders. As the new generation of trucks is released you'll see all of them using a similar get up to what the ******** has. The long width is achieved with extended arms..."

That "opinion" doesn't really say anything other that some unidentified hub extenders are supposedly "bearing-stressing". So is dirt or extremely high speeds. Still have seen no proof that they cause premature failure of anything in any way.

All the "opinion" really does show is that they think wheelbase means the width between the left and right tire, and not distance from the front axle to the rear axle. Also, what is a "long width"? I assume they mean wide stance, but you know what the say about assuming.

RC Qualifier
    Even if my extended hubs (I'm running the 23mm adapters, fronts all around, and Pro-Line std. offset MT wheels for a 15" track) are putting added stress on the bearings, last I checked bearings are less than a buck each through several sellers on eBay. So if the hubs blow up all 8 (gasp!) of my hub bearings, I'm out eight whole dollars. I think I can afford it.

10+ packs of LiPo on the extenders, and I've not broken a single part due to them. Now incorrectly set slipper... that's another story.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I'm convinced to try them. There are enough happy endings w/pics and proof to sway me to take the easy wide way out. Will look good w/ lowered HPI Rubicon and my ext chassis n masher 2000's stretched onto 2.8's!
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast